1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

My string search has ended. I'm flat now.

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by DrakeWeiss, Dec 6, 2013.

1. DrakeWeiss

DrakeWeiss

I have two basses. One is an Ibanez SR700 4-string, and the other is a Schecter Damien 5-string.

I've used Elixirs, Ernie Ball Cobalts, and Dean Markley Blue Steels over the past two years of playing bass.

The Elixirs were the best of that group cause they lasted about 15 months and probably could of gone longer, but I didn't like the looks of the shredded webbing where the picking takes place.

The Ernie Ball Cobalts only lasted three months before a string broke in a very low tuning. I liked the Cobalts sound and feel. They are good strings if you can get them to last at least six months. The E string produced a seductive tone that really pleased my ears.

The Dean Markley Blue Steels were good for the price, but after I broke a string after three months, I decided to keep looking for stronger strings.

Well, I finally found the strings that totally please my ears. Each string has a thick bass tone that is double that of the above listed strings. I have these on my Ibanez now. For all the other strings, I had to max the low on my bass. Now I have the low turned only halfway, and it is still pumping out more bass sound than the others did at full blast!

I am amazed with these strings! They are the
    LaBella Deep Talkin' Flat Wound Bass standard sized strings. :hyper:

My band was very impressed with the strings. We play hard rock, and I heard that flats wouldn't be good for Rage Against The Machine, but it sounded great to us. The strings don't produce the grand piano tone that you hear from many bands like Green Day, but it is not a problem. The LaBellas are pure bass tone that kicks ass!!!

I just got those strings, so I don't know if they will last as long as I want, but they should last a long ass time and get even better sounding with age. That's why I chose those strings. Plus, I heard someone say they had a set last them for the last 40 years! LOL

I got new GHS flatwounds on my 5-string, and they sound surprisingly good too, but they don't have quite as much thick bass across the board like the LaBellas do.

The flatwounds feel a little different compared to roundwounds, but after a few minutes I got comfortable with them. They are a little sticky, but that is supposed to get reduced over time. I have tacky warm hands, so the strings may not feel so sticky to others.

If you've never tried LaBella strings, you definitely need to if you want to improve your bass sound! Have a good one!

:bassist:
  2. 3234718

3234718 Supporting Member

I'm there too. Labella deep talkin flats 45-105.

Lately I've been learning slap so I've been using rounds despite my preference for the sound and feel of flats in an effort to be as versatile a bassist as possible (I own one electric). But screw it. I'll play what I like. Plus, I like their slap tone anyway.
  3. DrakeWeiss

DrakeWeiss

Thanks for mentioning the slap. I heard the flats aren't so good for slap, but some slappers still do fine with the flats. I'm pretty much just rhythm and groove. I am mainly into playing easy slutty rock bass lines lol. I admire the slapping, but I don't plan to do any slapping in the near future, so the flatwound strings meet all my needs.
  4. 3234718

I'm not much into slap either. But again, in the interest of being as useful as possible as a bass player, I'm trying to learn. Once I get decent enough at slap I'll try to learn to play with a pick. I don't want to, but it seems necessary for versatility's sake even if I play fingerstyle 90% of the time.
  5. jamersonburton

jamersonburton

Nice! Im rockin dr flats on a pbass right now, very similar to ghs flats. I got used daddario xl170 and roto rs66 in the drawer but they dont have that natural lowmid bump that just pleases my ears. I want a jazz bass down the road with rounds but the pbass just does it for me.
  6. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Thanks for the recommendation. I have a handful of 5 bangers and have never used flatwounds but would like to trial at least one set.

Riis
  7. DrakeWeiss

DrakeWeiss

If you are in a band and you play slap, I am sure the flatwounds would sound better in the mix than just by itself. If you slap without a band, the roundwounds are usually preferred by most slappers.
  8. frankieC

frankieC Supporting Member

I keep two bass strung with flats. My Ric 2030, and my Gibson EB3 shorty. Two very different tonal effects from these two basses without effects boxes.

Regarding slap, the Gibson doesn't slap well, at all, but the Ric (in spite of what some people might think) does, and very well, too. That said, I can probably count on one had the number of times I've actually slapped on stage. I do while practicing, though, and when fooling around with other musicians. I find it especially useful at the Guitar center, where many of the younger bassists think that the ability to slap a bass, makes you a good bassist. lol

The playing sound differences of these two basses with flats is a different story. The Ric is still fairly bright, but loses the "twang" that it has with rounds. In my opinion the flats give it better tone for classic rock, oldies, and traditional blues.
    When used with a pick, Mecca's tone is pretty easy to duplicate, too.

The Gibson with flats is all about very deep bottom. Reggae, early electric blues, and a lot of the old Motown stuff sound great with this set up.

I especially like flats in the studio. The eliminate a lot of the finger slid sounds that you often get, and hear with round wounds, especially if you're using a brighter tone when recording.
  9. tlr1293

tlr1293 Supporting Member

Sadowsky Flats here... spent WAAAAAAAY too much money on way too many varieties/brands of strings and I just keep coming back to these. I hope I will never do that 'roundwound experiment again' - because every so often I get a bug up my a$$ that my Carvin SB4000 needs rounds to sound "better" than it does now... and I keep going back to the Sad Flats.

Dear Lord - spare me the impure thoughts of potential roundwound bliss, only to show me the light, AGAIN, that the Sad Flats should NEVER EVER come off my bass. :)
  10. 3234718

Aren't Sadowsky flats made by labella? Have you played both?
  11. DrakeWeiss

DrakeWeiss

Oh, the flatwounds hold the tuning much better than roundwounds. With roundwounds, I noticed after playing for 45 minutes that they would go just a little bit out of tune. The flatwounds stay exactly on the note after a few hours of playing. That is a very nice feature for the flatwounds.
  12. DrakeWeiss

DrakeWeiss

Heard Sadowsky is good flat, but I never played them.
  13. DrakeWeiss

DrakeWeiss

With all the LaBella hype that is out there, I must say it is warranted cause they do outperform most other flats cause of the extra thick bass tone. As far as I know, Sadowsky doesn't have the massive sound that LaBella has. There are some good youtube comparisons out there for flat brands and you can definitely notice a difference between the string types when comparing to Labella. I wonder how they get that extra juice from the string lol.
  14. tlr1293

tlr1293 Supporting Member

ya - Sads are made by Labella, but to Mr. Sadowsky's specs.
    Sad Flats have a bit less tension and have a bit more 'bite' in the tone than Labella's.
    With that being said.... the Sad Flats settle in real nice.
  15. Syxz_ML

Syxz_ML

La Bella flats are my choice as well. And you're in for a treat if you got tired of the 3 month max lifetime on a pair of strings. These babies do last forever if treated right. And you're right about the time. It took me around 2 weeks for them to settle in and sound perfect. If you already love them now wait till they settle in :D
  16. OzzyGreg

OzzyGreg Supporting Member

17. senp5f

senp5f

I love la Bellas. They're magic on a p bass. And they can actually be very articulate on a modern-sounding bass -- try some on a stingray some time. ;)

If the strings are sticky, try wiping them down with a solvent like naphtha. They sometimes have some grease from the manufacturing process left.
  18. cv115505

cv115505 Supporting Member

Sadowsky flats are made by Labella as well... They get the Labella sound, but with much better playability IMO. I use them on my Precision... GHS tapewounds on my fretless Precision, and Sadowsky Nickels on my Reverend Decision. I have a G&L JB on the way, and I'm not sure what will go on it... I prefer flats (my fretted P is my go-to) but it'll depend on what I'm doing at the time...
  19. Joebone

Joebone Supporting Member

+1
  20. lopesraphael

lopesraphael

150% agreed.