My Style of P-Bass Joy!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassHappy, Mar 25, 2014.

1. So being a medium scaler as many of you know - I finally got a healthy dose of P Bass over the past couple of weeks. I had to put my own together based on a Vintage Telecaster 32" medium scale neck and a standard, full-size 54 P Bass contoured body. The neck is old school - no fingerboard - with the frets pressed directly into the maple neck. I have posted details of the bass elsewhere so I won't bore you with that portion of it.

I had my friend and local guitar guru Patrick Cummings of iguitar and Brian Moore do the set up work. I chose the Duncan "Stack" single coil and unfortunately the pickup was some bizarre replica style and the pole on the A string stuck up nearly 1/4" farther than the others and made the A string way too loud. I called Duncan and asked what was going on. They said I may be able to push the pole gently down into the pickup but also told me it could ruin it. I got the "Stack" because I didn't want the "Basslines" pickup, as I didn't want the logo on it - and I didn't want the road worn single coil as the pickup would have looked way out of place - the bass was finished by Pat Wilkins and is reasonably pristine in appearance.

[​IMG]

So Duncan offered to make me a one off - kind of a hybrid version of all three pickups - based on me telling them the sound I was looking for. So the new pickup would be very even across the strings and would look like a new pickup with no markings, but have that sound I was after.

So the pickup finally arrived and I had a chance to get it over to Patrick to re-install it a couple of weeks ago. He re-installed the pickup and I literally had to pry the bass out of his hands...Here is what he said:

"Very rarely, when the wood is exactly right, the neck is exactly right, and the electronics have that proper "bark" - everything somehow comes together - and creates a completely magical instrument. Happily, this is one of those instruments."

I wasn't too surprised that I had to wrench the bass from him - guitar players ALWAYS fall in love with my medium scalers. But when I got it home and had a chance to play around - all I can say is WOW! The past few days I have really had a chance to put it through it's paces in the studio and yes, it is a revelation. I suddenly get all of the P-Bass worship around here.

The beauty, the simplicity, the feel, the sound, well - the magic - really hard to put into words. The other two P Basses I have

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

are based on the 32" scale Fender Japan necks which are narrower all the way around - they just aren't as meaty as this neck. They are incredible instruments too but there is something amazingly special about this new one.

Maybe it is the honeymoon syndrome, but it sure doesn't feel like it!

I have half-rounds on this one with flats on the '51 - and DR Red Devil rounds on the Mutt Rod bass - so far I love the half-rounds on this one.

A new respect has been found....

BassHappy
    www.innertainment.net
  2. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist Supporting Member

Very nice. What's the radius of the neck? I love those chunky P necks.
  3. Howdy Freddels

“C” Shape with 9.5” Radius (241mm)

BassHappy
    www.innertainment.net
  4. ASATMAN

ASATMAN Supporting Member

Absolutely gorgeous! Like you, I know what I want and what works for me. Kudos to you for the vision and follow thru. Maximum use of minimalism with stunning results.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Monster Truck

Monster Truck

BassHappy, I've said it before and I'll say it again: That black pinstriped P is far and wide my most lusted after bass ever. My medium scale Squier is a sweet bass, but it's just boring old white. I swear someday I'll get it painted to look like yours.

[​IMG]
  7. Hey agent77

Thanks again for the kind words. Mine was black but looked like yours - but had no finger rest/ramp. There were no body holes to fill or anything on mine under the pick guard which surprised me a bit - just the pickup and control cavity routs - so it was a simple matter of filling the pick guard screw holes. There was no body channel rout between the pickup and control cavity either.

Good luck with yours, and don't let the cosmetics deceive you - a comfortable great playing bass = a great bass!

BassHappy
    www.innertainment.net