MY style :)

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by kingkeld, Feb 1, 2013.

1. kingkeld

kingkeld

Hi guys.

Long time lurker here - I think it's time for me to actively participate. I think I've had a comment sneak in once or twice, but it's been a long time. I read things here daily, though.

What prompted me to write today was reading about people playing "Jaco style", "Geddy style" and in the style of so many other famous bass players. It made me ponder on which style I play.

I think I play my style. The style of kingkeld. It's not very fast, it's not very complicated. It might not even be very interesting. But it's uniquely mine.

I am in no way saying it's a better style than anyone else's style. I'm just saying that I play what works for me, without looking too much at what others are doing (as much as that is possible, anyways).

When my band pick a new song to cover, I rarely go check out the original recordings. I like to work out my own bass lines, and I like coming up with original stuff within the peremiter of a well known song. This is where I have the most fun covering a song - typically classic rock.

Of course, if there are "signature things" that goes in the song, I will try to incorporate it - as well as there are songs where I really don't want to stray because I know the original way too well for me to be able to mentally be able to stray from what I expect to hear.

Some will say I'm a poor bass player for not playing what the original artist play. I say I have fun with it.

...and at the same time, I love hearing the great masters as much as anyone else. From Jaco, over Geddy, to Gene $. Gene is the reason I play bass in the first place. Simply because he is unique, and so much fun to both watch and listen to (when playing, not talking).

I mostly play a Fender Am Deluxe V (2011) on a Line6 Lowdown HD750 with two cabs, and I'm loving - seriously loving - the sound I get out of it. It's my sound. :)

Also, thanks for keeping me entertained here on TB for so long. I hope to be pitch in a lot more from here on.. :)

Kingkeld.
  2. sven kalmar

sven kalmar

i agree..none of the great players was copycats, thats part of what make them great...
    same with gear
  3. jmclearnon

jmclearnon

I would say a lot of people who say they play "Jaco Style" mean that their sound is similar to his.

A massive part of playing IMO is finding your own style and sound, if you have found it SWEET!!! enjoy it!
  4. gary19702

gary19702

Most bass players, myself included, either realize it or not but we do cop licks we either learn early in our formative years of playing, or because we dig something and learn and incorporate it into our style. Now don't get me wrong I strongly believe that we devolop our own unique style, but inevitably some influence does leak through, it how we utilize what we know that dictates individual "style"
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. VanillaThundah

VanillaThundah VERY enthusiastic walks... Supporting Member

Media:
    + 1

There is a difference between copying and being influenced. On a similar tangent, there are plenty of players that I like but don't want to emulate in my playing.

The problem tends to arise when you go "HEY TALKBASS! I like TOTES want to sound jus like [Insert Famous Bassist Here], how do I sound EXACTLY like them?" and buy certain things just because you want to sound exactly like them. Again, this isn't saying that you can't like a sound and want to try to use some elements of it. Hell, if that were the case we'd NEVER buy new gear or get turned onto new amps/effects.

Be inspired! Not infatuated! :bassist:
  7. Fretless1!

Fretless1!

I like your attitude. :bassist:
  8. Beersurgeon

Beersurgeon

+1
  9. gary19702

gary19702

Vanillathundah I should have said just that, well sorta did in my own backwards assed kinda way lol! But you're right on point, be influenced. But don't emulate if you truly want to develop your own sound and style. Unless you're in a tribute band and dedicated your style to that purpose, be yourself musically speaking
  10. LeonD

LeonD Supporting Member

Kingkeld, great post. I feel the exact same way.

I play the way I play. While I do practice and try to get better, it always sounds like me.

I'm in a couple of bands and whenever we learn new songs, everyone wants to go and hear the original. I usually try to avoid that. I want to hear how our group plays and interprets the song. And I'll try to interpret the song with my own bass line. (Sometime after we learn the song, I may go and listen to the original mostly to hear how someone else interpreted the song.)

For me, music is all about self expression and the best way I've found to do that is by coming up with my own interpretations.