1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

My SVT Just Died!

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by leemelone, Jan 31, 2014.

1. leemelone

leemelone

I just tried to fire up my SVT Classic and it started making a loud pop, pop, pop noise, there was a white flash coming from the back and I smelled something burning! Anyone know how bad it is? The amp has not been used much and has never given me any trouble. :crying:

2. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    John K Custom Basses
    it sounds like your output tubes went and it probably took a few other components (resistors) with them. it's time to take it to a tech.

3. bachlover

bachlover Supporting Member

Same thing happened to my B15N after a rersistor rattled loose. Way over my head, so I took it to a tech who troubleshooted and replaced the resistor.

4. leemelone

leemelone

Thanks guys. I was afraid it was something serious and past my capabilities to fix. I can't believe something that has so few hours on it could need tubes and resistors. I've owned it for three or four years but it's never left my house and probably has less than 50 hours actual playing time on it. My weekend is ruined. :scowl:

PS. I powered it up for about 2 seconds and one of the output tubes is the white flashing I saw. Could it possibly just need a new tube? It was only on for maybe 5-6 seconds total before I shut it down. Does a bad tube make a bad smell?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Sorry to hear that but a tech will get her up and running in no time and she will be good as new.

7. nashman

nashman

Rent a different amp to mess around with - something different - while your SVT gets fixed.

8. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative Supporting Member

If a component failed it can cause tubes to fail. Have a bad tube? Replace it and now you have 2 bad tubes. I'd stop tampering with it and leave it unplugged until you can get a pro to check it out. It may be a quick and easy fix, it may be expensive. If you continue poking at it it'll likely be more expensive to fix than it is right now.

9. leemelone

leemelone

I understand. I just wanted to verify what was flashing and I only turned it on and then right off. I guess I was hoping that it might be something I could fix myself. It's unplugged and it's going to stay that way.

10. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    John K Custom Basses
    I you smelled or saw smoke, it's more than just replacing a tube or two.

11. leemelone

leemelone

I didn't see any smoke but I faintly smelled something for just a second. I thought it might have come from the flashing tube. I just smelled it again and there's no lingering smell like you usually get when a component fries.

12. hodgy

hodgy

Disclosures:
    Tech Support- Ampeg/ Mackie
    +1 on this. Here are the authorized Ampeg repair Centers in the ATL area:
    AUDIO LAB OF GEORGIA
    3611 CLEARVIEW PL
    DORAVILLE, GA 30340 Zoom Remove
    Phone Number: 770-455-0571
    E-mail: sales@audiolabga.com;

Pro Audio Video Plus
    3566 Club Drive
    Lawrenceville, GA 30044 Zoom Remove
    Phone Number: 678-380-8840
    E-mail: slee.aht@gmail.com

LOGICAL SOUND & Industrial Electronics, Inc.
    2620-D MOUNTAIN INDUSTRIAL BLVD
    TUCKER, GA 30084 Zoom Remove
    Phone Number: 770-934-4887
    E-mail: bdlogic@bellsouth.net

13. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

"Flame proof" resistors can fry in less than a second, little smoke and no lingering smell. If it was just a tube that failed, it can easily burn a resistor.

14. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are.

15. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Sounds like a bad tube that took out a component.

Take to tech.