1. Please note: We are performing several software upgrades tonight, Sept 29th. Please bear with us. You may notice some formatting issues and other bugs.

My tone pot cuts all sound at max treble position.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by blake11, Nov 15, 2013.

1. blake11

blake11

So I just installed new active EMGs into my Squirr J and everything works properly except that when I turn my tone to max treble, the output suddenly drops to zero.

2. blake11

blake11

I uses the pots and output jack that was supplied with the pickups and the tone control works great except for in the max treble position. Is this normal? Has anyone else experienced this?

3. Crater

Crater

I had this happen with an Ibanez bass I owned, the problem was the pot was broken and would allow the knob to spin 360 degrees. That's probably not what's causing your problem.

Make sure the pot is screwed down firmly, and make sure none of the pot's terminals are touching the sides of the control cavity.

4. khutch

khutch Praise Harp Supporting Member

It is not normal. Something is wrong with either your pot or your wiring. If you know how to run one use a meter to measure the resistance of the outer lead of the tone pot which is not connected to the cap to ground. Sounds like it will read zero. If your wiring is right and it reads zero then the pot is bad, shorted inside somehow. You should have a wire soldered to the center lead of the pot and a cap soldered between one of the other leads and ground. Nothing should be soldered to the third lead and that third lead should NOT be bent over and soldered to the pot case either. If you have any connection that that third lead that is likely to be your problem. You can post a picture of your wiring here for others to comment on if you like.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    You should call EMG CS. They're pretty terrific.

7. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

+a lot

Have had this happen, drove me insane for a week until I figured out the signal was grounding out on the conductive shielding paint. thick-ish layer of plastic between the pot and the cavity solved the problem