My two end of the year purchases...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by okc-zee, Jan 5, 2013.

1. okc-zee

okc-zee

Both brand new ,AVRI 62 P in 3TSB in Nov for $1149,and MIM classic 50's in 2TSB last week in Dec from MF for $439..MF gave me 30% off on an ordering screw-up,so I figured let me take advantage of this...Had a classic 50's in fiesta red a few years ago and had to sell it...wanted another one ever since so I figured this was the time to do it..ridiculous prices on two great basses...Sorry for the crappy pic..
    [​IMG]
  2. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Disclosures:
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    Nice!! The Classic 50's is on my list of must-have P's.
  3. thedudebrah

thedudebrah Supporting Member

Nothing like treating yourself! Great buys.
  4. Mind Eroded

Mind Eroded

P-bass heaven...two basses ive been GAS'ing over for a long time.

congrats
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Sweet deal on that Classic '50s! I love mine ('06 Honey Blonde). I had an AV '62 Reissue P like yours from around '95 until I sold it around '03. Both great basses.

I'm looking forward to a report on how you like them, as well as a comparison of the two. Tonally, my '50s Classic doesn't take a back seat to any P-Bass I've ever owned. Slap some flats on at least one of those babies!
  7. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Very nice indeed.
  8. okc-zee

okc-zee

Flats on em' already...GHS precisions on the AV62,and an old set of TI's on the classic 50's....Both sound awesome !
  9. sgiacomo

sgiacomo Supporting Member

Nice, Okies rock!
  10. christle

christle Supporting Member

Very nice! :cool: :bassist:
  11. armybass

armybass Roscoe Bass Gold Supporting Member

62 AVRI in SB/RW/Tort is number one on my wish/want list. Love it!
  12. ggvicviper

ggvicviper P is the Key. Call me Marc or Marky Potatoes. Gold Supporting Member

Both are gorgeous! How would you compare the two in feel and sound?
  13. okc-zee

okc-zee

The 62 is a bit warmer sound wise...Love the nitro finish...the classic 50's sounds a bit brighter/punchier to me...They both feel great to me as I'm a lover of the old school Fender wide/flat P bass necks...Aside from rosewood to maple,the necks are pretty much the same in feel to me,the rosewood a little more supple in feel...The feel, and finish overall of the AVRI is a bit more up scale compared to the 50's as well..Don't get me wrong...I love the classic 50's basses,as this is my second one purchased...and the fit and finish on it is very well done...I think they are great instruments as well on their own merit as well a great price for one,but the AVRI just seems to have a bit more "polish" to it as far as the build quality goes...more attention to detail...you can tell more time was put into it...But if the classic 50's was my only bass,I would be perfectly happy with it...I would have loved to have gotten an AVRI 57 as well as the 62,but couldn't afford two MIA's...so at less than half the price I went for the MIM 50's in the 2TSB instead to satisfy my 57 "fix"...I don't feel slighted...I'm very fortunate to be able to own these two great instruments...
  14. R&B

R&B Don't want no treble. Supporting Member

Perfect description! I have the exact same color combo and love 'em both. Went a decade further and covered the '70s too (MIJ). La Bella flats on mine. Medium gauge on the '50s and '70s, light gauge on the '62. I play the '50s and '70s more, as the nitro finish is still perfect on the '62. Kind of like having a new car before you get the first ding. Should line 'em up for a family photo, but the little spies are constantly counting basses and reporting to the War Department. So it's my policy to keep them scattered around the house and Man Cave! :ninja:

While I am starting to prefer Jazz necks, something about the profile on these vintage series Ps makes them very playable despite the 1.75" (or 1.625") nut width. And the tone!!! Bliss.

Every time I think of selling a Fender P, I play it and fall in love again. Nice choices if I do say so! :smug:
  15. RaginRog

RaginRog Last guy you want to see is Employee Relations guy Supporting Member

Both are very nice. Congrats on some fine looking P basses.