1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

My Warwick with cello strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by amper, Feb 16, 2014.

1. amper

amper

I figure this seems like the best place to put this for now. It's a short 0:10 video of my Warwick custom short scale strung with D'Addario Prelude 4/4 medium tension cello strings from their bowed strings line. It might be of use to someone or other. Also see the notes on the video at YouTube.

http://youtu.be/W7MgTQBRU8Y

2. Levin

Levin

...any clips where you play it? :D And do they work amplified?

3. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Banned

+1 I want to hear them through an amp!
    Only ferrous core strings will work with magnetic pickups I'm sure you considered that ahead of time...

4. BioWeapon

BioWeapon

Really? Can't a synthetic core and ferrous wrapping be pickup up? Not that I've ever heard of strings like that but still.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JustForSport

JustForSport

Been wanting to try steel-core bronze wound on electric for tonality. They've been used before, but haven't found any sound clips, yet.

7. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

Daddario exp reds are excellent. I think they're copper coated steel. They feel like smooth loriders and sound very warm and acoustic-ey.

8. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Banned

Not sure you get enough signal output off wound part of strings but I've never tried anything but steel core strings with magnetic pickups.
    Most ABGs have only piezo elements so the phosphor bronze string cores don't really matter ehh?

9. JustForSport

JustForSport

From what I've dug up, Phosphor-bronze wound strings are (mostly?) wound on a steel core because Phosphor-bronze is not strong enough for tension to tune. With only the core being steel, there will be less signal, but that's what volume knobs are for.
    Stranded steel cores may be a bit too 'loose' to get the action reasonably low.
    On acoustic, the wraps are needed to heavy enough to keep the string oscillating at string tension.

10. amper

amper

Sadly, I don't have any recordings made with this baby. But, I specifically selected the Prelude strings because they are steel core/nickel wound, which means they work perfectly with magnetic pickups. My one regret is that I didn't order this instrument with piezo, but I don't even remember if Warwick offered piezo back then? In any case, I hadn't yet acquired my Stingray at that point, and it wasn't until I got the Stingray that I realised how much piezo really was my sound.

The fact is, I am not really a cello player, and I set up this instrument this way specifically because I was hoping it would suggest different musical possibilities, and I was right about that, but mostly it has sat in the case for the past 11 years since I got it.

I'm trying to make more of a effort, and I think I'm starting to come to grips with how this instrument needs to be played to be effective. I won't be making any clips of it before I feel confident they will sound good. :D

11. amper

amper

i used to use the original D'Addario Reds on all my guitars. I really liked them. They had a nice mellow, warm sound that I though went well with my Rickenbacker 330. I haven't tried the new EXP Reds.

12. amper

amper

I have discovered, however, that my cello/bass really likes a touch of reverb, unlike a bass. I was going to top my Walkabout with a Roland AC-90 for the reverb and stereo, but I never got around to buying the AC-90. It does sound great through the AC-90, alone, as I've tried it in stores.