My work place Drama

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Metalbasspro, Dec 5, 2013.

1. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro

Monday I came down with the normal cold and sore throat. Called in Tuesday sick. Prior to this I had not called in sick in over two years. Last time I missed work I was in the ER. Before that I had the flu. Doctor mis diagnosed it as a cold. I was at work when I realized it was no cold and went home.

So while on the phone with the new and temporary Boss the contracted company sent us I was accused of faking an illness and I was told expected to be at work the next day. This when almost a dozen of my co workers call in every few weeks as is known to spend a nice day in the sun, fishing, a date or whatever have you. I call in and am really sick and I get accused of lying. When I tell her that I won't be in till I am better and able to meet the demands of the job because the attendance policy says each call in results in one event and that coming back to work before I am ready may result in another call in and TWO events she says to me, "SO you are going to play the system".

I had to remind her that the company provides sick days and if she did not like the policy they have in place she was free to go up stairs and discuss it and that I would be going to the Dr. to get it diagnosed. I told her she might want to review my solid attendance record.

Today I told the Dr. why I was seeing him. Once he found out why I was there he cut the visit short and told me he's get me a summary report I could give to them. Dr. Says I need rest and with no break periods at work due to an imbalance in work load distribution me going to work and getting done in 8 hours is like expecting a sick athlete to run a marathon and come in first. Not going to happen. They sent a kid down to my area who had no training. They did not have anyone to cover the area. And I also had to tell the boss lady I suggested to the last boss some others be trained to fill in. No one gave a damn and now it's of course my fault.

I went to work after the Dr. and shoved (nicely mind you) my Dr. Summary in her face and handed in my report that the last bosses acted on but saw a higher up un do their solution. I was encouraged to hand it in ASAP by our people up stairs. I wanted to let the new boss settle in but when I am blamed for the problems that result due to their lack of attention I guess they got it today.

In my report about the need to train others I added this.

Edit 2/4/13 I called in sick for the first time in about two years. It was a problem because there was no one on hand who knew the area. Maybe because of this situation, I was basically accused of lying about being sick and was told I was expected to be in the next day. I had to remind ****** that even I get sick and due to the work load simply cannot perform to the demanding physical standards needed to clean the facility. Again this situation is because my report was ignored in verbal form with the original management team and then again when **** **** sent it’s new team in, addressed but then withdrawn. Worrying about how there area will be cleaned when I am out sick is frankly not my area of responsibility and blaming me and calling me a liar for being sick when I really am does not help the situation at all. By the time you read this my doctor’s diagnoses will be in T*** *oints possession. I want to state plainly that I have a right to call in sick when I am sick and that the Hospital has sick days offered that confirms my right.

When I told my co workers what happened with the temp boss they just shook their heads. Could hardly believe it. The most un professional management moment I have ever seen. No one likes the new boss lady and we're all glad to see her leave in the morning.
  2. Monster Truck

Monster Truck Supporting Member

No offense or anything, but it's sounds like standard work BS to me.
  3. Lenwood Dinard

Lenwood Dinard Supporting Member

Sounds quite familiar. For the bulk of my 19 years at my job I've been lucky enough to have competent, even exceptional managers. I know this because lately we've have the bottom of the barrel. It's a big corporation and years ago they cared for the employees. Times have changed and I learned the hard way that it's no big deal for the higher-up's to just outright lie to avoid a problem. The company policy is to tell the employee no, and then IF that employee is smart enough to follow up on that answer and prove that the policy, or even federal law, requires a "yes" then they just say oops! You were right.
    Sounds like you are getting an "oops!" response. Good luck with everything.
  4. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro

I could have went in and put myself through the abuse. I know there are some workers there that have NEVER called in sick.

Last place I worked was a saw mill where if you called in sick they would just let your work build up so I would come in puking my guts out all night.

I swore that once I was done with the saw mill job that I would never push myself that way again if I did not have to.

I am an American worker not their damn slave.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jugglingfreak

jugglingfreak

Yeah, pretty much what Lenwood said.

Also, I've noticed (in several companies) you seem to get "punished" for being a reliable worker.

One company I worked for, my partner and I would get called to fix what other people had screwed up or send us to someone else territory if it was an important job they wanted to make sure was done correctly.

It was a compliment (at first) that they know we'd do it right. However, it soon became practice to just have us do it instead of actually making sure the persons in place did it right.

This lead to some of the same issues you listed, no one to cover us when we were sick or wanted to take vacation. Our area started to suffer a bit because they keep sending us elsewhere to fix other peoples messes so frequently, we couldn't do our own job.

But, of course, that was our fault and we were "getting lazy"...
  7. Milk

Milk Supporting Member

Employers have to realise that when you are sick, and it IS contagious, they stand to lose as many or more man hours down the line if you go in and potentially spread it around. You can have one employee calling sick now. Or 2 or 3 more in one or two weeks.

And sorry but getting accused of lying is out of line especially when you've never made a habit of it. I'd have been ****ing livid (but then again, that's why i never had a good job. Because i won't take being stepped on so i never got anywhere cause id rather quit a job than being subjected to that kind of ****). Could you have been lying? Possibly. But how is that their business if you have sick days anyway?I guess her being a temp there's no good reason to make a big fuss about it and take it higher but still (in fact she probably IS being a bitch because she's a temp)
  8. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive Supporting Member

Media:
    It seems a lot of management is focused on short term results -- i.e. "I can get this employee to come in today" at the expense of mid term: "hmmm... all my employees are sick now," and long term: "why is the level of employee cynicism in my work group so high?" and eventually terminal: "why did my top talent leave for our rival?"

Of course, the response in my experience is to inject "fresh blood" into the system with a new manager, who will inevitably follow the same direction.
  9. slobake

slobake Supporting Member

I had a simialiar situation. I had worked for about three years as a phone tech without calling in sick. That job too is somewhat physically demanding. I wasn't climbing poles but I was outside a lot in all kinds of weather walking 6-10 miles a day.
    I got a horrible case of the flu. When I called in sick for the fourth day in a row my boss told me I would need a doctor's note when I returned. I suggested he take a look at my attendance record. He called back later and told me to get better and not bother with a doctor.
  10. Milk

Milk Supporting Member

You gave them attitude man!

You were supposed to grovel and say how immensely sorry you were and please please to not fire you.

Anyone who's ever had a good flu knows it can totally incapacitate you for at least 3 or 4 days. They probably only ever got colds.
  11. NWB

NWB

I think the appropriate thing to do would be to show up for work and bring the manager a nice hot cup of coffee to make up for challenging her authority.

Of course you'd spit your flu germs into the coffee first.
  12. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro

That was appropriate of your boss after looking at your record. Mine probably did not even bother and I got nothing in the way of an admission of being wrong from her at all.

Her and the new boss told me just to call in every day that I don't come in. I told them I knew the policy and follow policy.

For 14 months I have been going to work to sink or swim, no help if I need it and no breaks while the other tech takes her's and even extra smoke breaks. She leaves early. Here is the work load imbalance I am talking about...

Mine is the larger list

Here are some numbers of items to be cleaned in both areas simply listed.

Cancer Center and Business office 
Phones-56

Trash Cans-78 (100 trash cans if counting exam rooms.)
Recycle Bins-47

Desk Tops-43

Counter tops-11

Key Boards-67

Medical Chairs-12

IV Poles-12

Pressure Cuffs-21 (maybe more)

Monitors and Cords-12

Sinks other then in Rest Rooms-5

Bathrooms-7

Linen Hampers-13 total (11 are part of the exam rooms)

Paper Towel Dispensers-4

Hand Sanitizers-16

11 Exam rooms with some of the main items

1. Bed

2. Sink

3. Computer and desk

4. Three Chairs each

5. Two Trash Cans (not counted in my total trash can count above)

6. Linen hamper

7.Mis. Physician equipment

P.T. Area sampling
Recycle Bins-30

Trash Cans-56

Bathrooms-6

Keyboards/Monitors-37

Phones-53

Linen Hampers-2 total

Paper Towel dispensers-4

Patient rooms/Exam rooms-4 (no sinks)

Mis. offices and P.T. Rooms and gear. 
Some totals may be a give or take four to five. Some rooms were locked during my inventory of the PT area. Safe to say generally I have more stuff to clean, it’s right here on paper and is seen at the location in person.

13. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro

I posted the same OP on Facebook and one of my bosses saw it. Here is his post,

Ken W*****s I'm one of Mikes bosses and think hes one of the best workers on our crew. he never hardly calls in sick and is very reliable. I wish i had 20 more workers like him. I hope you better soon Mike. The person your talking about has left and probably wont be back.
    Yesterday at 1:02am · Like · 3

He's only a lead person tho.

:)
  14. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

If you have to handle all of that stuff on a regular basis, I'm surprised you're not sick CONSTANTLY. It's well-known that telephones are some of the worst carriers of germs and, even if you're wearing gloves, you can still become contaminated.

The biatch who gave you a hard time- how often is she absent?
  15. mellowinman

mellowinman Guaranteed to break the Ice at Naughty Parties Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Don't get me started on the OP.

I don't call in "sick."

Here is what I say.

"I won't be in today."

I never explain why. I have Paid Time Off, and I have a certain amount for the purpose of Vacation Time, and a certain amount for the purpose of "other." If I didn't schedule the time off, and I call in, I get an Occurrence. If I get a certain amount of these, I will have to have a discussion with someone about it. If I get even more, I could end up getting a verbal warning, then a written warning, and then, even terminated.

I am an adult. If I call in, I have a good reason. I will not explain what that reason is. It is none of your GD business.
  16. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro

I dunno she was not our boss for more then a month. And that is the thing about those phones. I don't even have enough time to clean them all. 75% of all phones and deck tops and keyboards go un cleaned.

The fix is coming though as I re submitted my report with additional info and the suits up stairs were copied. I'd love to post the whole report but it's inside info I suppose.
  17. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Supporting Member

Save all emails and correspondence regarding this. Write a timeline of notes. If things progress and you are threatened with your employment or experience harassment, or even fired, they will come in very handy.
  18. spade2you

spade2you

Shoulda gotten a flu shot. Er wait......... :bag:
  19. marko138

marko138

Totally agree. But then again my employer is quite liberal with leave time and how we use it.
  20. michael_atw

michael_atw Supporting Member

At my last job, I had a supervisor give me 13 hours of work (according to the job-sheet) in an 8 hour day. I had 1.5 months of experience at that point running bindery machines that according to the owner take years to learn.

Welcome to the next 40 years of your life!
  21. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro

GOT one! But guess what. It was not the same thing most of my co workers got. I went to Costco and got a "fresh" shot that had no mercury in it and another toxin I did not want.

When I told the infection control nurse about that she dismissed it out of hand. SO much for what she thought she knows. I referred her to the Pharmacy.