Myco Pedals

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by MSUsousaphone, Jan 30, 2013.

1. MSUsousaphone

MSUsousaphone Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsed Artist: Myco Pedals
    Hey TBers. I'm pretty stoked that I get to tell you guys about a new company starting up. Myco Pedals. As some have guessed, this IS connected to Swell Pedals and is fronted by MikeO, himself. I know this raises a ton of suspicion and questions and all that but I will try to answer everything that I can on it.

First off.....why me? I've had several business transactions with MikeO and we have always had good back and forth. We also have some mutual friends that are pretty big in B List not mainstream music community. That's no bragging. I suck. I just know people who don't. And, in the recent Swell thread where things were getting a little heated, I was the voice of reason. So Mike sent me an email yesterday saying he'd like to call me and we talked on the phone for about an hour, today. I have no affiliation with Myco or Swell pedals. Just a player and a fan.

MikeO, the man. Really. This might sound stupid. But I always thought of him as some grizzly older big roady looking guy. I guess it was the vintage bawlzy sound of the Swell products....but I just always thought he'd look like Kris Kristofferson. Like. When he called I thought he would be quiet, gruff, and intimidating. I would offer him a suggestion and he would tell me to STFU. Not even close to reality. He was very down to Earth. Very cool and polite. But had a lot to say. And all really cool and interesting things. Very into his designs. And things really started clicking for me. He's a perfectionist in love with his creation. Was constantly tweaking. Always looking to make it better. A mad scientist. That's why they had all the models. All of the revisions. The huge Built to Order function. He was happy with his pedals but was...just....wanting....a few tweaks different.

Anyways, that's getting long. Some other questions. Why close Swell and open Myco? Is Mike an evil person who walked out on a bunch of orders and debt collectors and foolishly thought he could sell the same pedals under a different name and no one would be the wiser? Lol. That's a bit dramatic.

He told me this change has been a few years in the making. About a year ago, someone could have posted a Swell pedal in the classifieds and no one on here would have know what it was. When he started building Myco, there wasn't really anyone to tell about it....Swell was so under the radar. He doesn't promote on FB, doesn't take out ads, barely posts on forums and that's only to answer questions. Mike's really been trying to cut the attention to Swell back so that this change could happen. The big wrench in the plan being that his pedals are so great sounding that it formed a bit of a grass roots movement on here. But that's more just explaining that this change wasn't an overnight thing to avoid debtors but has actually been a long time in the making. Since he avoids social media, he had no clue the backlash of Swell closing would have been what it was and was astonished at how quick we found Myco. That's DiscoFreq being awesome. But he wasn't even going to announce it until next week when Swell's last orders go out and it officially closes the doors.

But why? Several reasons. First being the name. When I first heard of Swell I tried to search it. It's a rather unfortunate name because all you find is stuff on swell pedals.....it would be like a fuzz company being named looper. It just doesn't work. So he's wanted to make a name change for some time. The second is the business model. The BIGGEST complaints about Swell is the missed deadlines and LONG waits on orders. The Built to Order stuff was an issue. Someone ordered their pedal picking out all the options and it just took too long to make a pedal and get it shipped out. MikeO is not oblivious to these issues and this change is designed to stop them. Myco WILL NOT be BTO. No more long waits. All pedals will be made and stocked before being put up for sale on the site. So when you order and pay, the pedal is already made and ready to ship.

Why the names one, two, three, and four? This one's kinda fun and you almost have to have a convo with Mike to get a feel for him to really understand it. But let's look at a few facts. Mike's had a few names get stolen. Dunlop GT OD. Cave B-Drive. It'll be pretty hilarious to see if anyone starts naming their pedals five, six, seven, and eight.

What about Swell? Is he ditching his old customers? No. Swell still has a few pedals left to build. They should all be shipped out by the end of next week. All warranties from Swell will always be honored by MikeO and, I can personally attest to this one, he even works on pedals that were bought second or third hand used. And he didn't delay these Swell pedals getting his Myco pedals going. As of right now, Myco pedals are not in stock and won't be for some time. MikeO had no clue we would find his website this quick and he only rushed to get that site up so that he could have something up for NAMM.

Anyways, I think that's about it. Everyone who's played on a Swell knows that Mike is an amazing builder with a great ear and knows that these pedals will be legit and sound great. Hatas are gonna hate, but essentially, Myco Pedals will be the same amazing sounding and well built pedals we've mostly grown to love but with a business model that solves all the things that bogged Swell down. I'm hoping I'll be able to get my hands on one soon so that I can get some demos out. Hopes this answers everything.

http://www.mycopedals.com
  2. DeltaPhoenix

DeltaPhoenix

Word! Good to know all of this Sousie.
  3. dharmashawn

dharmashawn Supporting Member

Thanks for taking the time (and risk) writing this up Sus. You and Mike are Good Peoples and I for one am happy to be "acquainted" with both you guys.

Best of luck Mike and I will def be purchasing something from yr new batch.
  4. Darknut

Darknut Supporting Member

I'm not a hater & MikeO may be a great guy but there is still zero excuse for his poor communication... that is bad form plain & simple & incredibly stupid business wise.

MikeO blowing off BiigM for a very very long time is what started this whole negative tirade about Swell on TB in the first place.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Yeah, sorry--Ordered in May, no communication followed by a bunch of excuses and a pedal shipped only after a thread is started in January on Talkbass is not my definition of "stand up."

He could very well be a stand up guy. But, my only exposure to him at this point is that it took 8 months and public shaming to deliver a pedal that cost $400. Hell, if I read the thread correctly, there was no contact from October 29th (contact that stated the pedal would shop in a week) until the time the pedal was actually shipped at the end of January.

That's not being a hater. That's simply not trusting someone based on past experience.

You can excuse it all you want. That the pedal did finally ship doesn't excuse the piss poor way the entire situation was handled. I'd be leary of sending money to someone like that. Sucks, but that how the internet works.
  7. dharmashawn

There is no denying that MikeO made some poor decisions on handleing his CS and there are a few threads out there detailing this. I think some of us are willing to see how things move fwd in the coming months. So maybe this thread can stay on the positive side of the debate with progress updates (good and bad please) and all the rest can post in the others or, if you wish, wait quietly to see if you get to post an “I told you so“ in here.

I would like Mike to be able to feel comfy enough to come back and post when he gets settled, but with all the words flying I would be hesitant myself.
    Just sayin
  8. Darknut

Speaking of MikeO posting on the forum ... Am I the only one who thinks it odd That MikeO would post thru a proxy instead of just growing some balls & posting himself?

I never purchased any of MikeO stuff but was very interested until all this came out. This kind of bad business behavior needs to be called out on forums like this ... & to you guys trying to put a positive spin on it .... really?

MikeO must subscribe to the PT Barnum theory that there is one born every minute..... & apparently there is.
  9. Adamixoye

Adamixoye A PT Pro is cool for worship, right? Supporting Member

I don't have a dog in this fight but I've been reading these posts. I don't understand why a few individuals insist that nothing negative can or should be said about Mike O. He was undeniably guilty of poor communication and poor business practice. There was a possibility that he was guilty of something worse (cheating customers). The other post that complained about the issue reflected both of these topics, including the uncertainty on the second. Even though that was resolved and he's only "guilty of the lesser offense," that doesn't change the first.

Frankly, though I was unlikely to order a Swell pedal, I did look into it briefly. I am glad to have this sort of information on TalkBass. Those critical of Mike O.'s poor communication practices are entirely justified, and I haven't seen anyone take it too far, IMO. I don't understand the other side that wishes to squash those voices.
  10. MSUsousaphone

Disclosures:
    Recognizing there's a problem. Resolving the problem. Making sure the problem can never happen, again.

I can understand getting the DB patrol kicking if he was doing the same custom order, long waits business style going again....but let's not be tards. There's no circus act here. And no one has said anything defending the communication flaws......everyone's agreeing that was bad. But again, business model fixed.
  11. DeltaPhoenix

DeltaPhoenix

What I see is a dude that makes great pedals (Mike O) that made some mistakes and is looking to correct HOW he does business. The amount of options allowed by Swell made build times LONG (remember he also builds pedals for guitar players and there are probably at least 4 guitar players to every bassist). Poor Communication= a big problem, no denying that.
    So the guy looks at his business model, does what it takes to wrap up the business model...albeit with the prior mentioned poor communication.
    New business model looks to simplify things and totally eliminate the main issue, long wait time with lack of communication. READ THE ORIGINAL POST: Pedals will be available for sale when they are in stock. You order, he ships.
    Plus Mike is going to stand behind the Swell warranty after changing company names (which he should do). So it seems like he is not a malicious person out to sucker people.

Would I have been happy about waiting a long time with no communication, HELL NO. But I have tried Swell pedals and they sound amazing. I am willing to see how the Myco situation shakes out and I could order one after the business establishes itself a bit. I don't think that is being a sucker, allowing a person to correct how they do business and waiting for some proof about the change.
    I can tell you this, I am not the same person I was years ago (thank god) and have made major changes in my life. I believe people can change. I wait for proof before I have trust that the change is real though.
  12. MSUsousaphone

Disclosures:
    But really DNut. With the pedals only being sold once made.....in what way are you conceiving he will screw people over?
  13. DeltaPhoenix

DeltaPhoenix

:ninja:

Not a hater, eh? :eyebrow:

For real though, I get where you are coming from. I am just suspending judgement for awhile. I think this situation could turn out alright as long as he keeps the pedals stocked well.
  14. Adamixoye

Adamixoye A PT Pro is cool for worship, right? Supporting Member

This is probably my biggest point. So far it's just promises.

I also sort of take issue with the OP saying he was the (only?) voice of reason in the other thread. I thought the opposing, critical position was pretty reasonable. To post this thread and say, "Hey guys, he promised everything is changing! Let's make sure we don't say anything that might hurt his business now, mmmmkay?"...I just can't go along with that. Again, I'm not saying anything from direct experience here, so I'm not going to make critiques as though I have dealt with him. But I am speaking up to be completely supportive of those who have spoken negatively about their experiences. I don't recall anyone who I felt crossed the line in doing so.
  15. dharmashawn

The few of us all recognize and acknowledge what happened. No defending. No making excuses. More just willing to see this play out with a better ending. I for one hope it does and the redemtion will be all the sweeter.

Cool, many don't want to give someone a second chance. Some do. Myself included. I have made many mistakes on this earth in the past 38 years and I have learned and grown from every one of them.

I love my SWELL pedal and will continue to use it and snuggle her as I see fit.
  16. MAMMOTHvolume

MAMMOTHvolume

That website sucks, whats the difference between the pedals?
  17. DeltaPhoenix

DeltaPhoenix

Like it says in the original post. The website isn't finished, it was thrown together for NAMM.
    So I guess more will be revealed...
  18. Darknut

I never said he tried to screw anyone .... I said he's bad at communication.... as in he doesn't apparently.

I admit the PT barnum comment was a little snarky ... If I was one of the ones that had sent $400.00 bucks I got nothing for months you would see hate. The unprofessionalism is what bugs me the most I guess .... you see this type of thing more & more.

I have a small business myself that practically runs on emails so I know its not hard to respond to people. I do it everyday so when a company refuses I have to ask why?

Bad or zero communication in this type of situation speaks volumes about a the person IMHO.

IF you want to get technical MikeO is still not communicating even now ... not really.

I don't have a dog in this hunt & most likely will never buy a MikeO product at this point (I seriously was interested before all this )... I just think this type of thing needs to be out in the open that's all.

Maybe MikeO will get it together & Myco will be great & everyone will be happy ... but you know what they say ...... fool me once shame on you fool me twice .......
  19. andrew

andrew

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification, Regenerate Guitar Works
    Are the Myco pedals the same as the Swell or are there changes to them? ie. can I get a b-peg, only now it's the same pedal but called 6?
  20. MSUsousaphone

Disclosures:
    I'm not sure, yet. It sounds like they'll be voiced slightly different. If I had to guess, they'd be closer to the B-Drive and B-Pro than the B-Peg or B-Plex where he went to emulate a certain voicing.

Nah, man. Talking about all the accusations with the PT Barnum and stuff. Insinuating he was a crook and is setting people up to be ripped off again. That WAS saying he was trying to fool people but I see you later retracted that. And that's good. It's also awesome you're good at communicating with people. If I could send e-cookies, you would be the first on my list to get one. People are good at different things. Mike makes amazing pedals. He sucks at communicating. You're apparently great at communicating.....can you make my signal the way Mike's pedals do? Probably not. All of the tube ODs I've tried don't come close. So if he elimates the communication problems....perfect scenario. And no one has tried to say the communication thing isn't an issue. It's a HUGE issue. I waited twice over my quoted time to get my B-Peg. I went through the whole "did I just get scammed thing". The communication problems totally fed into that. But the new setup totally erases the need for it. You pay for the pedal that's already built, it shows up in a week, a whole month before paypal protection ends. There was a major problem. The problem was fixed.
  21. Darknut

Your right after I thought about it the PT barnum comment does come off like I meant he was try to cheat people ... that's not what I meant ....

I'm no great communicator, in fact I'm not a people person at all but I "do" answer emails related to my business because I have to or got out of business.

The swell pedals do sound great & I wanted one .... its amazing how all of this negative exposure could have been avoided if MikeO had just answered a few emails ... its always the little things that add up & kill a business.