1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Myers Pickup with flexible mic & preamp

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by rgr, Nov 25, 2013.

1. rgr

rgr

Attached Files:

2. Don Sibley

Don Sibley

No, but for that price and a 14 day trial, what do you have to lose?
  3. MR PC

MR PC

Interesting. The mic placement in the photo is my least favorite of all spots. Very boomy in that placement. If you get one, don't hesitate to try it in the after lengths, or in the upper part of the f hole pointed at the center of the bass, ect. This pu prolly is better than the Radio Shack DIY jobber people were discussing here a while back..
  4. rgr

rgr

Thanks Mr PC. I've never used a mic to amp my bass. I wasn't sure how it would sound or if it would feedback more or less than a stand mic.
  5. Matt Ides

Matt Ides

I emailed them and might pull the trigger. I'll report back if I do.
  6. Mark Gollihur

Mark Gollihur Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Chief Low-Frequency Facilitator, Gollihur Music LLC
    Yes, quite probably the most commonly pictured place to mic an upright, and one of the least likely to work well. I always tell people, "imagine putting your head INSIDE the bass. How would that sound to you?"

That's what pointing the mic into the soundhole sounds like: all boom, no detail. Now, ACROSS the soundhole, on a diagonal, aimed up at the bottom of the fingerboard (or thereabouts) can often work, and provide a girthy tone. It's a bit of a science (or perhaps black magic), to be sure...
  7. rickwolff

rickwolff Supporting Member

Anybody try this yet?
  8. sevenyearsdown

sevenyearsdown

The suction cup mounting looks problematic. First the weight of a cable would probably knock if off eventually. Also the preamp mounted that high would probably have the instrument cable smacking off the top which would also get amplified (unless you can stand completely still while playing live).