1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

MYEXTENSIVE REVIEW: EBS Microbass vs Sansamp PBDDI

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Tunaman, Oct 13, 2012.

1. Tunaman

Tunaman Supporting Member

Had the chance to try both of these side by side today. I've been through a few pedals MXR M80, Boss GT-10B, Sansamp paradriver in addition to these two

Sansamp PBDDI... yeah, the scoop is always there. You can roll bass & treble back all you want... but that doesn't boost mids, it leaves em at neutral :rolleyes: The drive\distortion is nice & better than the EBS, M80, 10-B for sure. Programming is cool for sure but I'd rather adjust the knobs on the fly. The tone is great if thats what you're looking for but I'd like the mids instead. That being said, I sold my paradriver a while ago. Its been a while but I remember it being really clear but not too warm, not the tone I was after. Before that I had a Sansamp RBI & it was a great unit, again you dont buy Sansamp for tube warmth, more for tube overdrive & grind. Awesome tone for pop & slap (Which I dont do!)

EBS Microbass: Love it. It really brings what I personally want which is a different tone than my Streamliner. I feel the Streamliner is pretty scooped & mids dont burp & jump out at you, with the EBS they do great while still retaining some warmth. I figured the Sansamp would give me the clarity the Streamliner didn't have at times but in a weird way they were similar because of the midscoop! I wish I could A\B the paradriver vs the EBS. The features of the EBS is awesome... my favorites being mute, ipod connection & play with headphones, multichannel. Not a fan of the drive at all, plus it brings a huge volume boost.

The Microbass II is a total keeper. I feel like it saves me from buying $2500 single cut bass I was eyeing the other day as I thought my Bongo bass could never sound like that!

Both Tech21 & EBS are both high quality builds BTW
  2. MSUsousaphone

MSUsousaphone Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsed Artist: Myco Pedals
    Nice review, man. Thanks!
  3. dave2

dave2

I would like to try a MicroBassII ... Anybody have one for sale?
  4. Tunaman

Hard to find one used, i was pumped to grab one

If you have any questions about it before you drop the loot, PM me my man
  5. alec

alec

Which version of the EBS do you have, Tunaman? The newer one with the Pre EQ switch on the left side?
  6. Tunaman

7. Tunaman

1st practice report:

Best pedal I've owned right off the bat.

It just has the lower mid & upper mid presence, a strong mid burp without the treble hiss & zing. Its basically the opposite of a scooped tone like a Sansamp which is big in the lows & on the treble for slap n pop.

My Streamliner is scooped, that old warm tube tone of big lows & warm uppermids without the zing but they still dont stick out... sometimes I just want & need the volume up on the mids but still have them warm... thats the EBS.

Really loving it. A perfect changeup. Great tone.
  8. tech21nyc

tech21nyc

Disclosures:
    Manufacturer: Tech 21
    The mid "scoop" in the Bass Driver is intentional. Our Para Driver DI would be a better product to compare to the EBS. The other thing to consider is that the Bass Driver DI is a DI and works best into the mixing console or a flat response platform. Were you comparing the pedals by running them into the front end of an amp or into a mixer?
  9. Tunaman

I was running them with a poweramp \ power section only of my Streamliner

Yup, the mid scoop is intentional & if thats what you're looking for, its great.
    If you're looking for a more mid present unit the EBS is great

The para driver is also a nice unit & its been too long for me to accurately review it vs the EBS. I can certainly say with confidence that it didn't grab me out of the gate the way the EBS has...

I love Tech21 gear but a having a tube amp I personally dont need a tube emulator. The EBS gives me the changeup that I wanted
  10. tech21nyc

tech21nyc

Disclosures:
    Manufacturer: Tech 21
    That would be the best way to use it but as I said the Para Driver would be the product to compare the EBS to as it has the sweepable mids. I'm not questioning your being happy with the EBS. That's fine. My point is that for a review or comparison you should compare two similar products. The Para Driver is a multi purpose preamp and was designed in part for the player that wasn't looking for the specific sound of the Bass Driver.
  11. bassmanjla

bassmanjla

ok, so.. any idea of what the 'link' button the Microbass does? it's not in the manual.
  12. Tunaman

I used it for my tuner last night , it was still on with the mute too. That's all I know! Ha ha
  13. karla684

karla684

+1
    It's not a button, but an output. It copies the signal from input A. It's excellent for connecting a tuner, and as mentioned above, it is still active when the pedal is muted.
  14. bassmanjla

bassmanjla

ah thank you.. yes, i meant to say Jack, but button happened instead. is it pre or post EQ ?
  15. alec

alec

Pre. It's routed straight from the input jack with no processing.
  16. rogerb

rogerb

Can you clear up this for me, headphone output and effect mp3 input is it stereo? I would imagine they are, but no straight answer in manual or from EBS even.
  17. Tunaman

haven't tried it yet!
  18. alec

alec

I just tried it and the final result is mono.
  19. rogerb

rogerb

OK, thanks. That's a deal breaker for me. No wonder EBS didn't answer!
  20. Mingus Addict

Mingus Addict

Thanks for the review. The EBS sounds cool, but programmability is something I'm really needing right now. I'm not interested in the mid-scoop all the time aspect of the Bass Driver though. I wish (and I know I'm not the first one on here to say so) that Tech21 made a programmable Para Driver.