1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Mysterious pickups in my Fender...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassAgent, Apr 4, 2014.

1. BassAgent

BassAgent

So I've had this gorgeous fretless Fender MIM for the last 12 years. I absolutely adore this bass and I've used it on many, many recordings.
    [​IMG]
    I've replaced the pickguard by a black one, the bridge by a Gotoh 201 and the pickups by...well, that's the question.

About 10 years ago, I thought I'd bought a set of Fender Custom Shop 60's pickups. They sound great, so I never doubted them especially 'cause I'd never seen other sets. A while ago, I saw another set and what struck me was that it had cloth wiring. My pickups didn't. They also had a Custom Shop label. My pickups didn't. They also had black bobbins. My pickups didn't. But I didn't care, I thought mine might be old pickups that don't have all those features. I was 14, don't blame me ;)

Today, the neck pickup stopped working. So I went to my favorite bass store in the country, Paul's Bass Matters. When he opened my bass, he said immediately: "Whoa, those aren't CS pickups." He couldn't tell what they were, though. So I'm asking you guys!

Here's what they look like from the bottom:
    [​IMG]
    There's no brand or anything on them. The complete coil is glued into the cover, so I can't take it out. The polepieces don't stick out of the cover. Sorry for the poor picture but there's nothing special to see, really... Any requests for pics?

2. BassAgent

BassAgent

3. BassAgent

BassAgent

So far, people have come up with "it could be Yamaha" or "it could be a Seymour Duncan copy". I can't confirm anything of that with a brand or anything. Any ideas here? :)