Mystery amps (1973 Santana Band)

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by PhR, Mar 4, 2014.

1. PhR

PhR

There's two Fender combos and a Peavey Musician (?) head and some Peavey cabs but what are those heads between Michael Shrieve (the drummer) and Doug Rauch (the bassist)? Obscured partly by cymbals. Could they be early Gallien-Kruegers?
    [​IMG]

2. rodl2005

rodl2005

I can't tell from that. But if it IS in NZ they may be local NZ amps... HOLDEN or WASP or the like???

3. teemuk

teemuk

Yep. Pretty well hidden behind those cymbals.

But I can tell that it doesn't look like the GMT amp/cab rig at all. Santana's GMT amp has a distinct "pointy" angling in the front panel of the chassis (you can see the amp in Woodstock performance) and that head doesn't look like it at all.

On that note, it doesn't look like any other early GMT / G&K product either.

4. PhR

PhR

Great info, thanks! I recalled I had seen the early G-K amps somewhere but didn't remember Woodstock. Of course they had David Brown on bass and he used Acoustic amps there (or Sunn, not quite sure now).
    Gotta check out those New Zealand brands too.

Maybe Rauch used that Peavey head only or maybe it was for the Yamaha YC organ that Richard Kermode and Tom Coster played.

When he played with Billy Cobham in 1975 he used Macintosh power amps (like the Grateful Dead did) and when he played with Bowie in 1974 he had an Acoustic rig but those amps aren't neither.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. RickC

RickC Supporting Member

bump in appreciation of a very cool pic

:cool:

7. PhR

PhR

Of a very cool rhythm section.

8. webmonster

webmonster

Jansen and Holden were the 'big' name amp manufacturers in NZ. Gunn was smaller. Can't think of anyone else right now.
    There's not a lot of info on NZ amps on the internet (yet).

They don't look like any Jansen that I recognise.

It is a great pic - thanks for posting it.

The Christchurch town hall was badly damaged in the earthquakes, but the last I heard is that they were seriously looking at restoring the building.