Mystery Mosrite

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by X011, Mar 23, 2014.

1. X011

X011

Hello,
    I purchased a Mosrite bass last Sept. and need some information from the experts. Everyone I have ask has a different opinion. Mosrite of California by Moseley. Pots
    306128 500k 137-7106 Date to 1971. Two pickups.
    So far I get it but the serial number I can't find a comparable. The serial number is X 011. Other oddities include some blocking under the pick guard. If you would like to take a look at it here is a link to a photo bucket. Any help would be great or if you could steer me in the right direction. Thanks
    http://s1212.photobucket.com/user/penckofer/library/

2. ukulelelab

ukulelelab

wanted to have a look but that photobucket story is private

3. RickBlair

RickBlair

I'm not seeing anything on the Photobucket page either.

Does it have the duckfeet tuners? Sunburst finish? Cracks in the finish? So far every Mosrite from the early 70's I've seen has been Sunburst and they all have a thick gloss finish that tends to crack from age.

I bought the Sunburst bass on the left in the pic at the end of December. I'm not sure what you mean by blocking under the pickguard. Need to see the pics for that one. I had the new bass completely apart for cleaning and there wasn't anything unusual under the pickguard. I don't have the original tuners on the bass.

I'm using the sunburst bass as my main bass while I'm recovering from a left-hand index finger surgery. The short scale and low action make it easier to play with my other 3 left hand fingers.

Rick B.

[​IMG]

4. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

It shall remain a mystery until photobucket is unlocked or other photos posted. :(

You can probably get a good bit of help once that's done.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. X011

X011

Sorry about the locked photo bucket. It's unlocked now

7. X011

X011

Sorry about the locked Photo bucket.
    It's open now.
    Rick B.
    It does have a few finish cracks but not too bad, and it is sunburst

8. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

OK - here's what I can tell you X011.

I can't locate any info on serial numbers beginning with X. My info shows most Mosrite basses from '63-'73 beginning with B. Did you look on the neck itself? Blocks appear to have been used to anchor the PG since the routing is way more than needed. Pickups were used from '66 through the 90's. Appears that something weird is going on with the hole visible beside the PU. The "duck foot" tuners started late, late 60's on up through the 70's. Controls and PU cover, although they look new, appear to be correct, along with the bridge and neck plate. Headstock decal appeared around 1972. Paint appears to be a refin due to colors. Looks good. Put some strings on it and jump into "Pipeline." Hope this helps. :)

9. RickBlair

RickBlair

I can see the pics now. I like the color. That's the first early 70's I've seen that isn't 3TS. I'm wondering if your bass might be a little later vintage, or possibly a Japanese Mosrite. Mine has a slightly different headstock logo.

Most of the early 70's basses I have seen have a B prefix. Someone over at mosriteforum.com might know when the X prefix appeared.

[​IMG]

Couple of things:

The neck pickup is upside-down but you must have noticed that already.

The switch can be tightened and straightened up a bit so it fits into the route better.

The blocks in the cavity look like an 'oops' from the factory. I don't know how they decided to place pickguard holes but it looks like one was drilled incorrectly and they glued in some wood in order for the screw to have something to thread into. If you notice the upper screw in my bass pickguard it is further up toward the tip than that one.

My 65 has a pickguard that must have been cut incorrectly. I haven't seen another one like it. There is a relief cut into the pickguard for the bridge cover and there is also a block of wood glued into the cavity for one of the pickguard screws. They made it fit rather than waste a pickguard.

Rick B.

10. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

11. X011

X011

Thanks for all the info. Just got back from Vacation and didn't have my log-on information. This give me a lot more to work with
    Thanks