1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

NAD!! Aguilar DB680! Video comparison of DB680 and JGR

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by JGR, Jul 22, 2011.

1. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Supporting Member

So Sliderbass came up here a few weeks ago to check out my preamp, and brought some killer gear with him - a LDS nEarful, a beautiful Sadowsky and John K custom, - and a DB680. We were finished and were packing up when I realized we hadn't tried the 680... it would have been a lot less expensive for me had I not bothered to try out Frank's unit before he left. This was the first time I had the pleasure of playing though one; they were too pricey for me when they were still in production, and I honestly never paid too much attention to them, because I never thought of them as being well suited for rock tones based on the general reviews and feedback I had seen.

Well, as many of you already know, the DB680 is an extremely versatile piece of equipment, and I was immediately impressed upon plugging in. If you have a good bass and cab, and pair this baby with a good power amp, you are pretty much good to go! My basses are all passive and have SD "hot" P and J pickups, which are pretty high output, and have a strong midrange. They give me pretty much instant rock tone through any amp with a somewhat "flat" voicing. I've found that the DB680 is capable of producing a killer rock tone - I like everything flat with the bright switch engaged. I've also got great results with the low boost in the "+" position, the high mid set to around 1.8kHz, 2 o'clock, and Q at noon, and the low mid set to 180Hz, same other settings as high mid. Plenty of clear grindy, growly tube warmth.

I shot a video the 680 A/B'd with my own preamp for comparison, just to give folks a sort of reference point. With everything set flat on both preamps, I'd say the tone is more similar than different. My preamp has a lot more gain available - in the video, both pre's have the gain set at noon - my pre is dirtier, but not in an obvious way since a lot of it is focused in the midrange. The gain voicing gives my pre a bit of a brighter/edgier/aggressive quality, with thicker mids and low mids. This isn't meant to be a knock on the Aguilar or an advertisement for my preamp - the Aguilar is KILLER - so much so that I actually acquired two of them!

Anyway, here is a quick video comparing both, with all of their EQ flat and gain set at noon.

‪DB680 and JGR comparison.MOV‬‏ - YouTube
  2. Dethrats

Dethrats

:O
    i had to turn my volume ALL the way up to hear you talk (which BTW, you have a deep voice). and when the bass came in, BAM! my socks were literally rocked off.
  3. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Supporting Member

Sorry bout that! The "auto" setting on the camera gives a nasty spike when you go from soft to loud, so I just leave it on the low gain setting which seems to give better results at high volumes. Believe it or not, allergies have wiped out a lot of the low end in my voice over the last couple of years, so it could be worse! ;)