NAD - Alembic / Crest ProLite

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by hennessybass, Mar 15, 2014.

1. hennessybass

hennessybass Supporting Member

Got the Alembic a while back here on TB, and the Crest came in a few days ago. Still need to get a rack for this new set up. Nobody in Austin seems to have a 3U rack, so looks like I'm getting one on line. Thinking I'm gonna go gator. Need to do some shopping.

I've been using a '77 Fender Bassman 100 as my main rig for a few years now (with a few others in the mix as well). Started looking for something that sounded like my Bassman, but with more clean headroom and something that was also road worthy. Not that the Bassman isn't. It's seen plenty of action, and handles anything I throw at it. But having something in a case is nice for travel gigs. Also just want to have a nice big non tube option.

This rig sounds nice. Just right off the bat. Just clean and loud as you want, but still warm, complex, not sterile, and nothing harsh. The sound is open and even, no honk, no congestion, just big, fat, warm, clean. I'm not going to say it sounds like a tube amp, but I will say it sounds good. Better than some other very nice amps I have played. It nails the fender thing. Of course all IMO.;)

Got a TRS 1/4 to XLR, which I may shorten, and a cool little dual power cable. The power thing may not work out due to the difference in depth of the Alembic and Crest. We'll see when I get a rack.

I'll keep posting up as I get the rack, and will post up about the sound, settings, and a compare to the Bassman.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. dmac1961

dmac1961

Sweet. What cab(s) is that beast gonna push?
  3. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Relax... Nothing Is Under Control. Supporting Member

I have the crest prolite 2.0 as well. Really like it. Seems like a loud, solid piece of gear. I am using a gk mb200 as a preamp. It gives me a nice light pre that I like the sound of. Plus I can always use it as a fully integrated amp in a pinch.
  4. godblender

godblender Supporting Member

I'm considering picking up a Prolite 2.0 DSP myself....well it's between that and the Carvin DCM2000LX. I'm glad to hear that you like it so far.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. hennessybass

Right now pushing a CN212. Also have a pair of GreenBoy Basic 15s that I just ordered.
  7. hennessybass

Bassist, how do you run your pro-lite? One side or both? So far I've got it bridged.
  8. bgavin

bgavin Supporting Member

OP, I bought this 3RU ultra-shallow rack from a TB member.
    It has a covered depth of 8.75" (both lids removed).
    External depth is 14.0" with both lids in place.

The F1X is 7.0" deep, and my Prolite2 is 10.56" deep, so this might be a bit tight.
    IIRC, the power switch for the F1X is on the rear of the preamp, so full rear access is a must.
    Avoid the SKB XRack here, as it does not have the required fully removable rear lid.
  9. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Relax... Nothing Is Under Control. Supporting Member

So far I have only run 300w off one channel into a peavey 412 cab at the rehearsal studio.

Sounds great. Loads of power.
  10. Lonnybass

Lonnybass

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    F-1X = Tone Heaven!
  11. hennessybass

Thanks for the tip. I just ordered a Gator case a little earlier in the day on ebay. It's about 12.25, so just a little bigger than the one you got.

http://www.gatorcases.com/p/29201-1656/gr-3s

I may end up just leaving the F1X on all the time and then flip the power amp on and off. Earlier I flipped the F1X on after the power amp and got a pretty good pop.
  12. hennessybass

Spent some time with the new rig this weekend... all I can say is BASS!!

Lot's of it. The low end on this thing is just crazy big. Not muddy, but just huge massive low end. Way more than I am used to, and this is with a CN212 that I think has a pretty tight low end. This is way more power than I have ever used, and I am not even starting to touch what's on tap. I'm a pretty aggressive / physical player, but this rig is making me use that light light touch.

Sounds different from my Bassman, but for sure in the same family. Total fender tone. I really haven't been able to dial in a bad sound. I've dialed up some sounds I wouldn't use, but that's a personal style thing. Everything coming out sounds good. Easy to dial up everything from a huge Dub Bass sound to super modern scoop and sizzle. I usually live in the middle somewhere. Haven't found much use for the deep switch, except for dialing in that kind of slap and pop kind of thing. Bright switch is nice on quite a few different settings.

Very nice so far.
  13. bgavin

bgavin Supporting Member

OP, you might be experiencing the difference between an integrated amp (head) with a built-in rolloff, compared to a pre/power amp that is full range.

I remember my F1X having a very thick bottom with a buttery smooth texture.
    The only reason I sold it was I hated the Fender tone stack.

I own the Prolite you are using, and there is no 30/50 Hz filter built in (IIRC).
    This combination will produce whatever bottom frequencies are sent to it, intended or spurious.

You might consider adding the FDeck HPF so it can work as a low frequency filter for your live work.
    This won't be obvious at normal levels, but at full war volume will take a lot of wear and tear off your speakers.
    I use a QSC PLX with built-in filters for high power use with electric bass.
    The Prolite2 bi-amps our eDrums which have no spurious low end, because they are MIDI patches.
  14. hennessybass

Thanks! That makes a lot of sense, and it has already crossed my mind to use a HPF. I will look into the FDeck stuff a little more.

Could I put it in the FX loop of the Alembic?
  15. esa372

esa372 Supporting Member

That's how I do it - works great:

[​IMG]
  16. rok51

rok51 Supporting Member

+1!
    Kim
  17. hennessybass

OK... I'm gonna head out to left field here. Call me crazy...

Don't I have a HPF and a LPF on the Alembic already?

I can run from the High Pass output to the power amp, and then use the "Frequency" knob as my HPF control? At the lowest setting it is at 70Hz.

Sounds great at the house (quiet / medium vol). Seems usable from around 70 - 80ish Hz.

Am I crazy?
  18. hennessybass

Ok. I just did some A/B, and 70Hz is no good.

I will look into the FDeck HPF. I like to keep things easy, so hate to keep adding components.
  19. alembicbones

alembicbones

Your rig sounds very cool. My F-1X has got me through many a gig. I just sold mine, but an Alembic SF-2 works really well in the Effects Loop.

Bones