1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

NAD: Ampeg PF500 & SVT210AV

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by SuperK, Jan 20, 2014.

1. SuperK

SuperK Supporting Member

So I recently sold my Ampeg PF115HE cabinet and purchased a pair of SVT210AV cabs to pair up to my PF500 amp. Nothing against the PF115HE but I was looking for a setup that was a little more portable. Plus I read too many good things about the SVT210AVs that I had to give them a try.

I got these just before Christmas, but my band has been on a break for the holidays so I've only been able to listen to the new rig solo. It sounded great but I was curious to hear how it would sound in a band mix. We just had our first full practice last week so I was finally able to find out and man am I happy! I'm running my MIA P Bass (upgraded with Fender Original pups) through a VT Bass DI. I was able to finally get that vintage tone that I've been searching for without having an SVT and an 8x10 cab. It easily kept up with two guitars and a drummer and had room to spare.

Thanks to TB for all the information! Only problem is that I no longer have any GAS......for now! :bassist:

Here's a pic:

[​IMG]
  2. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Nice rig! For those wanting vintage tone, good volume and easy portability, tough to beat what you just got.

I played a 50's P-Bass through the MicroVR/SVT210AV mini stack and was sold on the tone but knew it was really a small-gig/rehearsal type of rig. By doubling the cabs and dropping the PF-500 on them, no worries.
  3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Nice. I haven't owned a 410 in many years, and if I ever do again, it'll be a pair of 210's stacked vertically like your rig. What a difference it makes.
  4. SuperK

SuperK Supporting Member

Yea I've set them side by side on the floor in true "410" fashion. They definitely put out more bass that way but they sound much better and LOUDER when stacked vertically.
  5. okcrum

okcrum in your chest Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Dark Horse strings
    Yes. Yes, they do.

[​IMG]
  6. shaginwagin

shaginwagin

So, you are running a VT bass DI into the front of the PF500?
  7. SuperK

SuperK Supporting Member

Yes. I use a Zoom MS60-B first then into a VT Bass DI then into an Fdeck HPF. I haven't used the DI feature of the VT Bass yet. I'm still just using it as an always on pedal. I don't run everything through the effects loop. I just plug it right in the front.
  8. okcrum

Disclosures:
    That's a sweet rig you've got there, SuperK.
  9. Steve Dallman

Steve Dallman Supporting Member

I played in the pit for a musical last year. The soundman took the DI feed for my bass off my PF-500, pre-EQ. He commented the second show that it was the best DI'd bass signal he'd ever worked with. He had nothing but good to say about it.

When I gigged with a GK1001RB, I didn't care for the DI on it. I used a Sansamp BDDI for the signal to the PA. With the PF-500, I go straight to the amp, and use the DI on the amp. I love it.
  10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    No offense to Fdeck, but with a VT pedal, you don't need an HPF since it has one built into it.
  11. SuperK

SuperK Supporting Member

Thanks JimmyM. Did not know that. Any idea of what the frequency cutoff is for the VT Bass HPF?
  12. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    It's very similar to an 810e. I remember seeing a chart on here but I don't know exactly what it is, but the 810e is 10db down at 40hz and 3db down at 55hz.
  13. drummer5359

drummer5359 Gold Supporting Member

Great rig!

I'm currently GAS free as well. Lets enjoy it while we can.
  14. SuperK

SuperK Supporting Member

Didn't you just pick up one of the new V4Bs and the new cabs? That would cure my GAS too!
  15. okcrum

Disclosures:
    That happened to me this past NYE, post-eq but the same reaction from the sound guy. PF500 also.
  16. slouch

slouch

Did you ever run the PF115HE and one SVT210AV together? I have the Micro VR, I need more firepower for a few upcoming gigs, and I'm considering the PF-500 and the PF115HE. Also, do you have any advice on how not to over power the 210 cabinet with this head?
  17. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I have run the 210av and PF115he together and I didn't like it nearly as much as running two of the same.
  18. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

+1

Low end is very different in those cabs, even though they are both sealed. I would imagine it would be difficult to find an EQ setting that worked when mixing them.
  19. johnpbass

johnpbass

I need another 210AV!
  20. slouch

slouch

Thanks for the tips, guys. I'd love for someone to talk about avoiding abuse of the SVT210AV cabinets while using the PF-500 like OP's photo. My understanding is you might have 500 watts going into speakers that are only rated for 400.