1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. We are currently evaluating the "One Post Per Classified Ad" policy. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

NAD!!!! Avatar content

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by wshines1892, Dec 29, 2012.

1. wshines1892

wshines1892

Picked up this fine pair for $400 today. Couldn't be happier. One of them seems to have a crackle in the mid driver, so I figure it's either the driver itself or I've heard it could be the crossover. Avatar's closed today, so have to call monday. Oh well, onto the pics!
    ImageUploadedByTalkBass.com1356814871.294958.jpg
  2. shoot-r

shoot-r

$400.00 for both????? :eek:

Some here at T.B. feel the Avatar TB153 is one of the best commerically available bass cabinets on the market!

I'm very happy with my Avatar 210's.....Would love to have a 153 also.
  3. lokikallas

lokikallas Supporting Member

It's most likely the crossover which is fairly easy and cheap to replace. That was a steal. Even if the mid driver itself is blown its still a steal if that is all you need to fix.
  4. wshines1892

wshines1892

Yeah, I couldn't believe the deal myself. The guy only wanted $450 for the pair and I talked him down to $400 because of the driver. He seemed a bit spacey if you know what I mean, so I'm not asking questions what the money was going toward. Oh well, hopefully I can get on the phone with Avatar Monday and get a replacement part on the way.
  5. rapidfirerob

rapidfirerob Fusion rules! Supporting Member

6. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

WOW what a steal!
  7. tdoody

tdoody Supporting Member

wow wow wow. i have 2 single 12 cabinets and i couldn't be happier. i wish i could hear yours
  8. Blues Bass 2

Blues Bass 2 Supporting Member

I had a TB153 and would agree with this . Great cabs and you did get a steal !

9. wshines1892

wshines1892

Full report time! I took the working one out for a spin this morning at church. Nothing but nice thick booty shaking tone! The low end is so thick on it, but the mids are still super present. It's awesome! Even one sounds huge.
  10. bolophonic

bolophonic

Used Avatars are a great deal. I got a 2x12" for $150 -- like new.

That is one powerful looking stack.
  11. wshines1892

wshines1892

These are my first avatars, and these have to be the best cabs I've ever played through. I wouldn't mind picking up a couple 12s now to replace my little Ampeg cab for small gigs, but I'm on a spending freeze for now.

Being that I only play weekly for churches at this point, I'm looking forward to rocking these bad boys for a long time.
  12. MysticMichael

MysticMichael Hip No Ties Supporting Member

Maybe I'm missing something here, but are we supposed to be able to tell which Avatar model this is - merely by looking at the photo? :confused:

Since you mention the mid driver, and the TB153 is the only Avatar model I know that has a mid driver, I'm going to assume you just picked up a heckuva deal on a pair of TB153s. If so, all I can say is "wow". :eek:

So, yes? :eyebrow:

MM
  13. wshines1892

wshines1892

Oh yes, I suppose I did forget to mention that these are indeed TB153s. Sorry for forgetting to add that!
  14. lokikallas

Looks familiar-

Attached Files:

15. wshines1892

wshines1892

Nice rig! I wish I had the flipped front board to pair the mid drivers. Oh we'll, I don't $600 want it. Have you tried it flipped any other way and is there that big of a difference without them paired like that?
  16. lokikallas

I haven't but I'm sure it's no big deal. You can always lay the top unit on its side to line up the drivers better.
  17. ErnieD

ErnieD

Please come back and let us know what the fix was for your troubled TB153 cab.

I bought a new 4 ohm, TB153 from Dave in summer of 2011. Cab worked/sounded great like you say. Though with about 8 bass cabs now, I used my TB cab once in awhile, rotating cabs as gigs required.

Last time I used it, mid October 2012, at a C&W gig with my Markbass F1 head, started getting badly distorted in mid gig. If I only played the mid-to-upper register on my 5 string passive Jazz 5, none to barely any distortion. But pretty much anything below low-A, made alot of a bad distortion and by placing my ears close to cab, I narrowed it down to the mid-6" speaker area.

I've been meaning to call Dave and discuss my options but with seven other cabs just haven't gotten around to doing it. I'm wondering how I'd know what to ask Dave for, a new mid-6" speaker or a new Xover? Guess I should open cab up, might just be a loose wire(s). :rollno:

I also have a very good speaker repair shop in the Houston area that does great work. Maybe I can just take it to them and let them tell me what's wrong and possibly have them install a much better Xover unit than what Avatar may offer me. Not sure, need to call them too.

I think I've seen where some TBers have bought a new Xover from Dave at about $60 bucks, not sure if that includes shipping.

So New Years resolution for me; get TB153 cab repaired. (maybe sell some cabs too:p) I do miss what that 15" cab offered me. But again if you get a answer as to the repair of your cab, pls let us know. Peace, ernie.
  18. wshines1892

wshines1892

I'll be sure to post what happens. I have a $50 visa gift card I had ready to buy an Ampeg pf115 but it's no longer needed, so it will go towards repair cost instead!
  19. ErnieD

ErnieD

when it worked right, the TB153 is an awesome cab indeed. I used it also with my STM-900 and a P5, very nice combo that.
  20. wshines1892

wshines1892

Avatar is closed until Wednesday! Oh cruel fate!