NAD! Carvin BX1600

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by vishuddha, Apr 5, 2014.

1. vishuddha

vishuddha 100% Mediocre Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Drum Sales - Guitar Center
    First of all, shout out to Carvin for the amazing customer service.

I actually received this amp a few days ago but wanted to play around with it for a while before posting.

Bottom line: This thing is 100% awesome. I get tones out of it that I didn't even know existed. I found it almost impossible to get a tone I DIDN'T like out of it and the nigh-infinite adjustments really made me feel like I was dialing in my own personal sound instead of a typical scooped Ampeg tone or what have you. And the power... oh, the POWER. I replaced my Crown XLS1500 with this and I can get the same loudness at 3 on the Carvin as I did when I was maxing out and clipping the Crown.

Just in case anyone was curious, I can tell you I am super excited about this amp and I feel like my tone chase is nearing an end... I chose this over an Epifani PS-600 (also an awesome amp) and I do not regret it one bit.

I am willing to do a demo vid if there is interest but I am terrible at improv lines so it probably wouldn't be great. Hahah.
    maestrovert likes this.
  2. godblender

godblender Supporting Member

Nice! I've been considering picking up a BX1500 myself since they're so cheap now that the this replacement is out. I'd be interested in a demo if you find the time. Congrats on your new amp.
  3. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

There is interest here. :) I've been considering one of these.
  4. vishuddha

Disclosures:
    What exactly would I play for the demo... major scales or something?

Also, any settings you guys specifically want to hear?
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. PrietoBass

PrietoBass How does he do that? Supporting Member

What cab(s) are you playing this head through?
  7. cableguy

cableguy Supporting Member

Higher Ground.........:bag:

Congrats on the new amp.:hyper:
  8. vishuddha

Disclosures:
    Hahahah! Thanks!

LDS 1515/66/1
  9. cableguy

cableguy Supporting Member

I bet that will kick ass. I have a Carvin HD1500 power amp that is the same power section as yours. I play through a fEARful 12/6 and have a 15/sub under it at times. I'm also building a 66 as we speak. I'm sure your amp sounds fantastic through that cab and is capable of getting FN loud.
  10. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Bridged at 4 ohms? Just think you could power TWO of those cabs at what, 475w each? I know the BX1500 is 450 watts x 2 @ 4 ohms.

:bag:
  11. vishuddha

Disclosures:
    Good to hear! I bet that 12/15 setup sounds killer. I certainly have never complained about having too much headroom!

Oh man, I can't even imagine running two '66s at once with this head. I think it would blast me into the stratosphere.
  12. neddihem

neddihem

oh boy, just when I was settling in on getting the BX700 I have to read this. Back to the Carvin site
  13. tercesyrev

tercesyrev Supporting Member

Hey Vishudda, I read in another thread of someone complaining about his BX1600 creating a hiss noise, even set at low volume. He sent it back and got another one which had the same thing.

Do you have that condition?
  14. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

I'm not convinced there was a problem with the head because hiss can come from many sources and I never had a hiss problem with any of my 4 Carvin power amps. There was hiss, but it wasn't from the amp.
  15. Bredian

Bredian

Thanks for the review, its on my list once I get the cabs built.

BTW, I DID once mention in a thread that Bass/gear GAS was "cheaper than fishin"
  16. veech

veech Newton's Downfall Supporting Member

The biggest culprit for hiss is usually cables...I would definitely start with replacing that with a new high quality one.

BTW, I just picked up a BX1600 and agree this is the best amp I have ever used/owned (Markbass, Aguilar, Ampeg, Fender, Acoustic). I am just blown away with the power, tone and flexibility. Playing this biamped through two Markbass NY608 cabs and all I can say is WOW. Oh, and dead silent.

-veech
  17. godblender

godblender Supporting Member

So vishuddha...still getting on well with the BX1600?? I'd love to hear some additional feedback from you when you have the time. Thanks!
    Bredian likes this.
  18. Greg Jones

Greg Jones

Gratz on the new amp!

I love my B2000!
  19. tercesyrev

tercesyrev Supporting Member

I just got a BX1600. For $629 brand new, I dare anyone to find something comparable for that price, or even for hundreds more for that matter. CLEAN, STRONG, POWERFUL TONE. The flexibility of having two amps and almost limitless tonal adjustment is borderline overwhelming. I'm starting to build a tower of 4 - BRX10.2s .. probably 2 - with NEO drivers and 2 with the TS drivers. It will eat my guitar players Marshall stack for lunch.

Playing bass is so much fun.
    :hyper:
    maestrovert and vishuddha like this.
  20. jnewmark

jnewmark Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Play guitar.
    I've had a BX1500 for a few years now, and it is by far the best bang for the buck bass head, imho.
  21. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

As do I. It really is a nice amp. It sounds great with my fretless.