NAD: Fender Super Bassman

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Alexander, Mar 6, 2014.

1. Alexander

Alexander

The FedEx truck showed up right at 9AM with this little goodie. Had a chance to plug it in and play around for 30 minutes or so just now and am favorable impressed. I've been looking for a tube\sealed cab vibe to augment the hybrid\ported rig I have (Mesa Walkabout and Berg HD212). This thing certainly fits the bill through my Berg NV412 cabinet.

My goal was to dial in a nice, warm, fat, round tube tone on the vintage channel and I found that to be pretty easy to do. On the second channel, I wanted to dial in a bit more mid-forward and overdriven (but not overly grindy\buzzy) tone with slight volume boost over the clean signal - without losing the low end heft. I got reasonably close to that, but think I need to spend a bit more time to get it just right. The OD tone actually was pretty close to my Walkabout\HD tone, with a bit more thick round-ness to the mids, perhaps - it was obviously a lot bigger sounding as well with the 412 cabinet. Switching back over to the vintage channel, I quickly appreciated how clean it was and how well the tube character and nuance came out. Made me realize how little clean headroom that Walkabout head really has in comparison. I was a bit worried about losing some of the low-end "bloom" that I get with my other rig, given the move here to a sealed cabinet. But, I might have been a bit naïve on that point. This rig has more than enough low-end fatness to it and I'm very pleased so far. Sounds good at pretty low volumes and there is clearly a lot of power on tap if needed.

Obviously, this is all solo in my living room - so will need to continue tweaking during rehearsal this weekend. I play with an old-school country, blues and rock band. I'm thinking the vintage channel will get most of the action and be a better fit for that band than my other rig. Would be nice to tap into that second channel to add some cut and bite to the Allman Brothers, ZZ Top, etc tunes we do.

I would also say that, while this is not a lightweight head, I found it remarkably easy to schlep. It felt lighter than it's 65 pound weight and that was greatly appreciated over the SVTs I've carried around in the past. Well worth the effort - at least so far...

2. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
  3. rodl2005

rodl2005

The od channel gets better the more you use it. The vintage channel just sounds lush from the get go.
    Congrats! !! 👍👍👍

4. denton57

denton57

Nice! I am jealous.. I have the baby brother rig (100T and NV115) and play the same type stuff. I would love a NV412!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. theLibrarian

theLibrarian Supporting Member

Congrats! I just ordered mine this morning. Gonna be a long week waiting for that truck :hyper:

7. Alexander

Alexander

I loved the 100T - trying it in GC is what led me to get the Super Bassman (only some of the comments here on TB swayed me to go that way). Just based on my living room test, they are very close tonally - maybe in a gig situation, there would be more differentiation between the two. With the 100T, you can get some nice power tube overdrive I'll likely not ever be able to get with the Super (due to the volume). Ideally, it would be great to have them both, but since I can only have one...

And yes, the NV412 is really nice. I almost sold it - only had one potential buyer when I had it listed and he ended up no-showing on me. I'm glad he did, cause this rig is magic!

8. denton57

denton57

I had a NV 215 for a while. Best cab I've ever owned. Sold it because I had recently bought a 73 SVT, and a flat back 8x10 (which dated to '73) came available on CL. I had always dreamed of the vintage SVT rig, so I had to get it.

It was a mistake, and I wish I could go back in time!

9. Alexander

Alexander

How do you like the Bassman compared to your SVT?

10. geddy402

geddy402

Maybe I missed it...what bass(es) are you using?

11. denton57

denton57

Compared to SVT...

I sold the SVT about 5 years ago, so it's hard to say. The SVT sounded great.

My 100T has been fitted with NOS USA 6L6GC's (GE) and preamp tubes (RCA). It sounds fantastic. 100 watts is all I need with the two groups of guys I play with.

12. Twangster101

Twangster101 Supporting Member

13. Alexander

Alexander

I'm using my Sadowsky RV4 with Flats. I'd love a P-Bass, but honestly think that is pretty far down the road...

14. geddy402

geddy402

My SB300 and Berg NV115 are a great match for any bass...I'm using p, j and 4001. Handles all them nicely. Didn't put any active basses (not sure if your sadowsky is) and how it handles that. Congrats and enjoy!

15. Alexander

Alexander

The Sadowsky is great, but have dialed the bass back while playing through this rig. With any volume at all, it's nice and full and fat. More low end than I'd ever need...