1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

NAD/gig report Markbass and Avatar newby

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by armybass, Dec 29, 2013.

1. armybass

armybass Supporting Member

I have been gigging with SWR and GK heads and SWR cabs for a few decades now and have been very slow to move into the Class D and micro rig scene. But alas I have sold off my 810, 610 and 410 rigs and 40 lb heads. My first new amp was an Oragne Terror Bass 500 head and SP212 cab and I love that for my country/southern rock band but wanted a little more modern sound. I have wanted to check out Markbass heads and Avatar cabs for some time and decided this was a perfect opportunity.

SO.... I scored on TB a used F500 MB head and B210 Avatar 8 ohm cab. I set everything on the MB flat....which is not easy of you do not have good eyes as there is not mark on the yellow concentric knobs but I found it. I played my 2012 Ric 4003 and 2012 Fender Sm Standard Jazz.

My gig was a medium sized club where sound can sometimes be a problem depending on the crowd. Both of my basses sounded fantastic in the low end and the amount of well defined bottom coming out of that cab is unreal. I love the MB head set flat and look forward to working more with it. I am completely impressed with what I perceive as a rather transparent tone allowing both of my basses to sound unaltered and full! If the cab were slightly lighter I would be totally in love with this rig but I am very impressed so far.
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]
  2. gjbassist

gjbassist Supporting Member

Cool. I'm also very happy with my Markbass LM III head. I used it along with a pair of GK 112 Neo cabs last night. I let another bass player sit in for a couple of songs so I got to hear it from the audience and it sounded great.
    Have you considered setting your 210 cabinet vertically? It will help get the sound up off the floor a bit and also put your amp head up a bit higher so it will be easier to see and adjust the knobs.
  3. armybass

I have not tried it like that but I will next time. I am using an Auralex Riser with the cab but I guess it would still be pretty stable on it if I stood it on its end.
  4. Ender_rpm

Ender_rpm Supporting Member

I used the LM2 with a 210 Neo for a while, great small gig and rehearsal rig. And weighed less than 40 pounds :)
  5. armybass

OK gig number two with the MB F500 and B210 cab. I sat the cab on its end as suggested and it was a great idea. I could hear it better and was much easier to adjust the amp which was minimal. I live the sound of this amp. Made my Ric sound like a big fat boogie machine. I can't tell you how much I love this MB and Avatar combo.
  6. swamp_bass

swamp_bass I love it when a groove comes together Supporting Member

Nice! I've fallen in love with the Markbass Class D heads as well, as their more transparent tone suits my taste and they definitely don't skimp on the power.

Congrats on your amplifier weight loss plan! ;)
  7. shoot-r

shoot-r

+1!

I've been gigging very steadily with two, Avatar 210 cabinets stacked as a vertical 410 for going on to 4 years.......absolutely love em'.

I've not heard them with a MarkBass head but have powered them with my old GK 800RB, my GK MB-500, a Ampeg PF-500 for a few hours (it burnt out on me mid gig), and my brand spanking new Hartke LH1000.

The Avatar's sounded great with every head and they take the high wattage of the Hartke without flinch.

I'll have to try a MarkBass LMIII or a F500 through them.

8. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

Markbass-Avatar210 is one of my favorite ever pairings. Sits very well in almost any mix.
  9. armybass

It really does. I am just amazed with this litle rig. Such and warm and clear tone. Only problem is I love my new Orange rig too so I am only using the MB and Avatar set up on every other gig and I wish I had more time to play them both.