NAD...HammerTone "B-100" All-Tube Bass Amp!

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by eldoryder, Jan 3, 2014.

1. eldoryder

eldoryder I just LOVE me some Vintage Peaveys! Supporting Member

Coming my way via FEDEX today is my brand new, hand-wired, made-in-usa, all-tube 100-watt BASS amplifer built for me by Mark Ashley of HammerTone Amps in NC:

[​IMG]

The HAMMERTONE B-100!

AFAIK, it's the first Bass Amp Mark has made. Mark is better known in six-string circles for his elegant 18-watt guitar amps made from Hammond Organ amp chassis'. This one utilized the chassis from an old Hammond DR20 Tone Cabinet I had laying around, along with the original wood base and four cups and springs underneath for "suspension". You can blame the cosmetics on ME, as I wanted the black-and-red color scheme!

[​IMG]

The B-100 is outfitted with (4) new TUNG-SOL (Russian) 6L6GC Power Tubes, a vintage Hammond 5U4G Rectifier tube, a 5751 Phase Inverter tube, and a vintage GE 12AX7 Preamp tube.

According to Mark:​

"The B-100 is basically a Fender Showman normal channel with a cathode biased power section. The cathode (self) biasing saves you the trouble of manually biasing plus the power tubes are biased in pairs which gives you the option of "pulling" 2 of them for reduced power practice."

So I have a 100/50 watt tube bass amp, that I can change as my needs dictate.

[​IMG]

Mark utilized the massive power transformer from my old Hammond HR40 Tone Cabinet. Gotta love that "old iron"! I know that he used all modern components inside, but it was a nice touch to utilize some of the good old stuff.

[​IMG]

I had always wanted an "open-design" tube amp with a "SteamPunk" vibe, and am very excited to be finally about to unpack and plug into this marvelous beast. Knowing that there isn't another one like it on the planet is just icing on the cake!

I did a lot of horse-trading with Mark on old Hammond components and vintage tubes, in addition to making changes to the original project over the course of several months, so before someone asks me "How much?", let me just say that I was happy, Mark was happy, and from what I've seen posted about other "boutique" amp builders, you could have Mark build you one without selling your firstborn!

If anyone is interested, you can see some of his other builds, check out soundclips from working musicians using his amps, and you can make inquiries HERE:

HAMMERTONE AMPS FACEBOOK PAGE

Happy NAD to ME!
  2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    That's one bigass PT! Pretty cool.
  3. Chef

Chef Moderator Supporting Member

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Holy Catz; that's gorgeous!
    I've never heard of this product, but it seems fab.
    Is there a top cover?
    Got gutz shots?

Man; that's sweet.
  4. eldoryder

Thanks, Jimmy & Chef.

Mark sent along a "gutz shot" as a color photocopy. I would have to figure out how to scan it into my computer to send it? Nope, no top cover.....I'm living DANGEROUSLY! In a house with cats, no less!
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

That's a piece of art love the color scheme I bet it sounds so rich.
  7. eldoryder

mjac28- I just unpacked it about an hour ago. I'm still trying out each bass one-by-one on it. So far, I like the tone of the vintage Peavey T20 and T45 best through this amp. I'm sure the T40 would also sound nice, but it's currently down for electronic restoration and a body swap.

Jeez....after all these months of acquiring "natural"-finish basses, now I guess I need one that's painted CAR w/Tuxedo Black PG!
  8. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

This is the kind of thing I want, someday, on top of a small tweed 1x12 for a home practice rig. Just gorgeous.
  9. eldoryder

I'm currently running it through either:

An old Hartke 4X10 cab, loaded with vintage Jensens from a Hammond HR40 Tone Cabinet
    <OR>
    An Ampeg 2X10 cab from the CL "Mini-Fridge".

What I want now is either a 6X10, or an 8X10. Or a 215. Or a (sp)15/6? Shoot, I'm willing to try ANYTHING!
  10. bassfreakah

bassfreakah Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist Ernie ball strings
    so so sweet !!!!! super phat eldory!!!!!
  11. eldoryder

I'm already SWEATING from proximity to these open tubes! I wonder if I can acquire a Winter Suntan this way?:)
  12. MrBEAR

MrBEAR

Huh!

Now I have tube envy.
  13. christw

christw Get low!

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: J Worrell Bass
    Wow! That's gorgeous.
  14. eldoryder

For Chef.....here's a "gutz shot"! It's all "Rocket Science" to me, but it looks pretty cool!

[​IMG]
  15. husky123

husky123 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
  16. kcole4001

kcole4001

[​IMG]
    ;)

Cool amp, BTW!
  17. eldoryder

[​IMG]

LOL! That is a KILLER graphic, kcole!
  18. wighat

wighat

Jealous.
  19. eldoryder

wighat, I know it's a LOOONG drive ('cause Texas is HUGE!), but you are welcome to come up and plug into it ANY time, bro!

Surely you must get bored with all that sun, and breeze and beaches and stuff. Come on up and get "Lost in the Pines" when you've had enough, and teach me how to play better! Now that I have some cool equipment, I sure as hell better learn how to play at least well enough not to get laughed at!

Nacogdoches. North of Houston. SouthEast of Tyler. 100 miles SouthWest of Shreveport, LA. Step back into the 50's, you're in Nacogdoches, now!

20. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

I don't like tubes exposed in that way. It's not practical on the road and just too easily damaged by a wayward drop of water or beer. A broken tube allows physical contact to lethal voltages.

it IS nicely put together so kudos to the builder.