NAD! Ibanez Promethean P3110! A LITTLE LOW-END BEAST!

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Salamenster, Nov 17, 2012.

1. Salamenster

Salamenster

Eyo, whaz poppin', boo boo's?

I bought an new combo today, because I needed a small, easy-to-use and portable one, capable of many things.

So after I had been looking around, I found the Promethean. It's small on it's own, extremely portable, but sounds huge and deep. Could use some highs, but that's were the EQ comes in! :hyper:

It's an 10" coaxial tweeter (wich means that there's a tweeter at the conus) and has a min 8 ohms speaker output jack AND an DI-out. I could still get it blasting about I had the speakers. :ninja:

Should not touch the 'phat'-control, tough. It scoops mids AND boosts lows/highs... should only be useful if you have NO idea what your playing on stage. :bag:

Pics soon (tomorrow or something).

And fire away with questions, if any.

2. 5port

5port

Nice thing about the P3110 is the internal speaker has two 8 ohm voice coils wired in parallel thus you have the full 300 watts with the internal speaker. When you plug in the external speaker one of the 8 ohm windings is disconnected. A very innovative feature and a great amp. I have the P3115 (same amp diff cabinet) and love it. Enjoy.

3. Highfox

Highfox

I look forward to any review you have.
    I just ordered one myself yesterday.

4. Salamenster

Salamenster

Small review:

It's cool. It can't handle sub-lows (the conus starts farting), but with a 'normal' sound with a midbump and some edge and clarity (what I'm going for) it's doing very, very well!

Only downmarks so far are the tweeter hiss (my first amp with a tweeter so I guess I just need to get used to it) and the phat control (it's an inbuilt midscoop! ARGH!).

It's also not as loud as I hoped it would be on its own, but that's where the ext. cabinet/DI-out comes in (well it actually does loud, but it either distorts OR the inbuilt limiter sucks your lows, could be the acoustics in my room too, btw)! Oh, and the stand might have been a bit longer. The angle with the ground is very small.

But if you're looking for a little amp with good allround sound, I think this is the way to go!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Salamenster

Salamenster

Could you explain more on this? What's the result of this feature?

7. Poopoutyouridea

Poopoutyouridea

You know the rules, no pics no amp! :p

8. Salamenster

Salamenster

Meh, but then I've got to get my camera, and then upload it, and then... :p

No, I will post some pics eventually, but not now, I'm busy learning for my exams.

9. 5port

5port

In this photo (I understand its in the P3110 owners manual) you can see two 8 ohm windings in the internal speaker. These two windings are 8 ohms wired together they create one 4 ohm winding. Since the amplifier is seeing 4 ohms it will give the internal speaker all 300 watts (unlike most combos that are 8 ohms internal and give half power).

The result? Full power to the internal speaker........

[​IMG]

BTW the P3115 has a switch to turn the tweeter off. Does the P3110 have the same switch?

10. Salamenster

Salamenster

Yes, it does. But I like the edge the tweeter gives. ^^

Thanks for the info btw! All my physics classes are suddenly returning.

But the amp will be 2x less loud when I plug in an extension cab?

11. 5port

5port

The internal speaker will be lower in volume but the total volume will be louder because of 2 speakers.

12. angelopb

angelopb

I just pulled the trigger on one of these- a B-stock or blem for $270. I was looking for a micro head to use with a DIY 112. But these seems like a better deal and I can try running the other cab with it. If it really makes full power without extention cab that will be great. It does not appear the head is removeable like the others. I wish it had a neo driver too. I am reserving judgement on the complaints that the driver bottoms out. I think you can make almost any cab do that with the wrong settings and technique. Hopefully, it is tuned properly. The specs say it is a "closed back" but it obviosuly is ported. It seems that the specs are all over the place on this.

13. angelopb

angelopb

I jsut received the amp. It's a fine looking piece of equipment- very compact and cool form factor. I like the simple preamp. The voicing is more old school sounding, almost like the Ashdown Electric Blue series. It is not sterile sounding to my ears. The tweeter is very smooth sounding and seems very phase coherent. I like the amp with and without the tweeter engaged and so far I am keeping the controls flat. I have not yet heard the speaker overload and distort. Good buy for $270. I will try it with an ext. cab this weekend.

14. jlepre

jlepre

no pics = no new combo amp

15. StuartV

StuartV Out of GAS!! Supporting Member

I have the older Promethean P5110 combo. I love it! 250W by itself. 500W with an 8ohm extension.

I played a small bar gig with just my little combo a couple of weeks ago. The guitarist and drummer normally hear me playing through one of my vintage tube amps (Traynor or Ampeg) and my Berg NV610 cab. We were at a small bar, so I just brought the Promethean. Both the guitarist and drummer were astounded and how good this little combo sounded. I had the Master at around 10:00 and it filled the room. I even had another bass player that just finished a rehearsal down the street stop in and on a break come up to ask me about my gear and liked the Promethean so much he took close-up pictures of it so he could go look for one for himself.

I'm glad to hear the newer stuff sounds good, too!

16. angelopb

angelopb

I am liking it more with the more time I play it. It truly has a nice tone. Many inexpensive but popular popular portable combos simply sound like shxx or are woefully underpowered.

The manual is spartan. It does not list a frequency response of the co-ax driver but it does explain how the dual 8ohm voice coil works. Very cool indeed. When you the insert speaker cable into ext. jack, it mechanically disconnects the second coil in the driver.

Minor gripes: Given its utility, small form and portability, it should use universal power supply for international use. (This would easily fit in overhead compartment.)
    It should also offer speakon/std output jack. A neo driver would be nice but I don't fault them, given country X is hoarding rare earth metals.

It's just a great grab-n-go amp with decent power, sound and portability for cheaps.

Sometimes, I sit in on friends' acoustic gigs and I can just keep this amp in the car.

I am looking forward to trying it with my Aria EUB and my Loprinzi Lo-Bass (bass ukulele). The Lo-Bass and this 'Nez amp is the ultimate portable thumpmaster rig.

I also like how the amp is not yet overhyped on TB. Sometimes it feels good to score and watch the lemmings safely pass lol.:)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Salamenster

Salamenster

Yeah, thanks for posting for me. Was about to snap them today. But you've saved my day...

Guys, a small follow-up question. What ext. cab should I buy with it? The 1x15" or the 4x10"? Pros/Cons?

18. angelopb

angelopb

I would try it with a 115. Make sure you get an 8ohm.

19. 5port

5port

An 8 ohm 2X10 wouldnt be a bad idea. Sit the 2X10 vertical with the 3110 on top. You would end up with a 3X10. The 3110 looks like a well thought out little combo and that dual coil speaker seems like such an obvious idea. As an owner of a 3115 myself Ibanez really has that front end preamp down. Love the tone. I did change my speaker to a 15" Neo.

PS: The PHAT control works better when you have a speaker that can handle all the power and EQ.

20. angelopb

angelopb

^^^
    Good idea. Ideally, matching drivers would good. I like the vertical array thing. Maybe a single 10" tuned low in a band pass would work too. You could probably make one with a pass band of 40hz-70z.

21. StuartV

StuartV Out of GAS!! Supporting Member

To point out the obvious, if you get an 8ohm 1x10 extension cab, both speakers (the ext cab speaker plus the built in speaker) will each get the same amount of power.

If you add an 8ohm 2x10 extension cab, then each of those speakers will get 75W of power and the one built in speaker will get 150W of power. There are people on this board who will assert that that is not good at all and you shouldn't do it. Personally, I have done exactly that with my Promethean and I think it's fine, in terms of safety of not hurting anything. I mean, if you need a certain level of volume, it will be a lot easier on the built in speaker if you are running it with the 2x10 extension cab added than if you just try to get that volume using the built in speaker by itself.

However, the issue is, will it sound good. And that is just down to what specific ext cab you add and luck.

I think Ibanez makes a 1x10 extension cabinet that would be the ideal add-on.

Or, if you can detach the head from the 1x10 cab, you could just use the head with any other cab that you want, for the occasions where the 1x10 by itself is not enough. That's what I do with my Promethean rig. On my 5110, the head detaches, with no tools. When the 1x10 by itself is not enough, I pull the head off and use it with one of my other cabs (I have Aguilar GS112, GS115, GS210, and GS410 cabs and a Bergantino NV610).

So, if your Promethean head detaches, I say either get yourself a Promethean 110 extension cab, or get yourself a nice 210 cab and then just use the head with that, without using the 1x10 enclosure.