1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

NAD: Marshall DBS 7200

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by alecduncan, Jan 23, 2014.

1. alecduncan

alecduncan Supporting Member

Hey all, I just scored a crazy good deal on this great condition Marshall DBS7200:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

200w RMS, 2000w Peak! Look at how huge that volume knob is! :hyper: Great tube preamp and from my limited playing with it so far it sounds great! I get a real "Trace Elliot" vibe from the tone and the wattage rating seems pretty conservative. I have practice tonight and if I decide that it's the new "me" tone then I'll be using it for recording.

Any info or experiences you guys have? I know that Chris Wolstenholme from Muse uses the 7400, but I haven't heard too much good or bad about this particular model. Was it rare?

I'd love to find a matching Marshall 2x15... :p
  2. NeonVomit

NeonVomit

Didn't even know that amp existed. Give us a detailed rundown of how it performs, I'm sure many of us are curious.
  3. alecduncan

Haven't got it loud and nasty quite yet, but from what I've played the blend knob between the SS preamp and the valve preamp is very responsive. Also, this head isn't for those who like gritty clipping/overdrive... it has INSANE headroom, I think because of the advertised 2000watts peak rating. Perfect for me because I love smooth thumping tone. The Marshall strikes me as a very transparent tone that doesn't add a ton of color, but adds some pretty versatile tonal options.

I love how simple the EQ's are, yet doesn't compromise a lot of modern options either. And, again, how awesomely huge the volume knob is.
  4. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

Aw man, colour me jealous, a rehersal room I used to use had one of those and the matching 2x15. Hands down one of the best setups I've ever played.
  5. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Nice score. Looks like a good match for an Avatar B115 (tweeterless) cab.
  6. alecduncan

Just had practice with this bad boy:

[​IMG]

Cranked, this head sounds fantastic! Zero clipping and had ridiculously versatile controls: the EQ seemed a lot more responsive than the GK and Hartke heads I'm used to playing. The tube preamp is great, and I'm primarily playing using about 75% blend from the tube preamp. Fan isn't loud, responsive controls and a volume that seems to be a lot more powerful than 200watts RMS! British amps must be conservative.

This head overall has tone that reminds me of a Trace Elliot, but without a little bit of the color/"funky" treble that defines Trace Elliot to me. Not sure if that's a great explanation but Trace always seemed to have that distinctive punch to it. This Marshall head is a lot more versatile to my ears.

I played through a 80's 4-ohm Peavey 2x12 cabinet loaded with EV-12's and the sound had great clarity and enough volume to be easily heard with my band (one guitarist and one drummer). Only time will tell if that translates to gig-able volume but I think it'll pass that test too. Very happy with this head and the fact that it's a bit unusual is pretty cool to me!
  7. Asylum-49

Asylum-49

I've got the Marshall DBS 72410 4 x 10 Combo and it's awesome! Been playing through it for over 18 years!!!!
  8. Asylum-49

Asylum-49

... and here it is;
    ImageUploadedByTalkBass1392835123.840003.jpg
  9. alecduncan

That's great! I think that these heads are really comparable to the old Trace Elliot heads so I'm not even too concerned about power handling!

I really want to pick up a Marshal 2x15 but my weird Peavey 2x12 is doing the work for me enough right now! Maybe after taxes I'll go hunting...
  10. Asylum-49

Asylum-49

I love the range of tones I can get from my amp! Never had an issue with the power!
    I bought mine at the tender and naive age of 18!
    Played hundreds of gigs and records with this beast!
    But god damn it's heavy!