1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

NAD-need advice of my elders

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by alexer47, Mar 30, 2014.

1. alexer47

alexer47

I just recently hooked a Carvin BRX 10.2 neo cab and was wondering if I added a BRX 15.3 pro 3-way if it would be overkill. Just not want to go the traditional route of another 210 or 410. Figured it really move some air. I also purchased the BX500 so it might be a little undersized for that cab configuration. Please way in. Don't really need it right now but a boy can dream right?

2. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Traditionally youngsters do their level best to ignore the well intended advice of their elders. Being a rebel non traditionalist, does this mean you might actually take some advice?

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Boy, those cabs couldn't be more different! This is one of those "try before you buy" things. There's a lot of evidence that from a purely physics level that it's better to use matching cabs and you can read about that all over TB, but you just never know how two completely different cabs are going to sound together. Could be great, could be a disaster.

4. David Jayne

David Jayne

Mixing cabs is a crapshoot. Might sound great, might totally suck. Generally frowned upon. But sometimes it works. Or not.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. groove pump

groove pump

I just acquired a BX500 and used it last night - first gig I've played in over a year and a half. My cabs are a pair of 2x10's (SWR's Workingman's) and this setup turned out to be exactly right for me.

I played with no PA support in a group of older guys - no rock stars turning it up to "awesome" - but two guitars, keys, drums, and a sax (yes, he played through the PA). I ran the master on the head at 4.5-5 pretty much all night, the "Drive" up around 7-8, and everything else rather flat. Actually I had the "honk" of the high-mids cut just a little, but that's about it. No "Contour" scoop and the compressor knob set at around 10 o'clock for the evening.

It's doubtful that I could have made enough sound with only one of my cabs. They're acceptable, but not scary gi-normous sounding individually. I've sampled one or two different neo 2x12 cabs in recent years that seemed entirely capable of making very big sound on their own, but I'm not familiar with your Carvin.

If your cab doesn't do enough on its own, I agree with our pals that the most likely recipe for success is a 2nd BRX 10.2. As long as that thing isn't buried down on the floor though, I suspect it's going to make a decent showing all by itself. If you get shopping a 2nd cab that's a different brand/model, proceed with caution.

7. alexer47

alexer47

Buying BRX10.2 from Carvin wouldn't be a problem but finding another neo might be a needle in haystack. So it wuld have to be buy from Carvin try and return if those two don't match up. But I guess it would be the same with the 15.3 also. Though I might find a 10.2 at GC used.

8. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Careful with used 2x10. They are prone to being abused. The good thing with GC is they will ship to your local store at cheap rates and if it's a dog you tell them to keep it.