1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

NAD!!! (New Amgeg Day)

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by JimiLL, Dec 27, 2012.

1. JimiLL

JimiLL Supporting Member

Got my first stand alone rackmount pre amp today, as well as my first Ampeg (Jimmy's gonna be so proud!:crying:) the Ampeg SVP-Pro. Found it on craigslist and when I saw the price, i knew I had to have it: $250!

Called the guy and turns out he bought it new around 2000, used it for 6 months and then Larry Hartke gave him a stack, so this thing went into storage. I believe it has that little time on it, no scratches, all original tubes, and best of all, no noise!

Now the question... Im have to find a power amp to pair to it...i Know i want one of the Crest power amps when I get some more coin, but Im going cheap at the moment. I do know that the input sensitivity is fairly important for bass guitar, so what is a good sensitivity to start at? Id like a Drivecore XLS amp, but i hear they are a little low on input sens.

Anyway, thanks guys!
  2. Edword

Edword

3. JimiLL

JimiLL Supporting Member

I will, tomorrow
  4. Diesel Kilgore

Diesel Kilgore

Amgeg must be a hot new knockoff gear maker. :D I never heard of them before. ;)
  5. JimiLL

JimiLL Supporting Member

Aww hell now i look like a troll!
  6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Troll no longer! Yes, I am proud! Quite a good price. Wouldn't have a clue what power amp to pair it with, but Ampeg did used to make an SVT 300 tube power amp (SVT minus the pre). Between the two I think you'd have an SVT 2 Pro.

Or you could get some class D dealio ;)
  7. JimiLL

JimiLL Supporting Member

Definitely lookin to go solid state on the power amp side of things. I spotted a Mackie 1400 on craigslist,$200 looks like it will take it
  8. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

I would check out the Peavey IPR 1600. It has one of the best sensitivity ratings out there, and you can pick them up new for a good price. More power than most would need, 7 pounds, cheap and readily available...
  9. bassgiant15

bassgiant15 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    I pair mine with a crown xls1000. It sounds great to my ears and its plenty loud.

Attached Files:

10. georgestrings

georgestrings Supporting Member

+1...

- georgestrings
  11. cableguy

cableguy

I use a Carvin HD1500 for mine. Between the pre/amp and SKB case it come in at around 20lbs. Not bad for 1500W and some Ampeg tubey goodness.
  12. username1

username1 Supporting Member

I loved the svp pro i used to have. One thing to remember when changing tubes is not to use a new tungsol in the far right position when looking at it from the front. That tube position is very sensative to hum and the tungsols i tried made horrible hum in that position but worked well in all other positions. One tube i settled on for that position was an eh12ax7. It worked well and was very quiet hum wise. I dont know why that tube position is so sensative to hum. Just something that is good to know if you have an svp pro.
  13. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Great preamp and not finnikey about power amps at all. Match the powe amp to your cabs, or just plug the ampeg into the effects return of a head.
  14. JimiLL

JimiLL Supporting Member

I currently have a Genz GBE 1200 that Ill be keeping, and id like to make two seperate heads out of everything.

Are the peavey IPR amps bridgeable?
  15. JimiLL

JimiLL Supporting Member

Nevermind I see that they are not. I was looking to get something with some substantial wattage, like 1500 watts. Whats a pre/power setup without ridiculous amounts of wattage?
  16. JimiLL

JimiLL Supporting Member