NAD - Ovation CAT III 6424 Head and 7463 Cabinet

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Wagz, Dec 12, 2013.

1. Wagz

Wagz

Just picked it up today. Sweet, rare vintage solid state set from Ovation to go with my favorite bass in my current herd, my Magnum IV. Typical Ovation, military-grade construction. If it ever blows up, I can use the head for a boat anchor.

100W RMS 2-channel head with Tremolo, Reverb, Bass Shift and Treble Boost. The Tremolo has a Trem Burst which works like an "upside-down" trem. Bass Shift moves the bass EQ up an octave for lead guitar.

The cabinet has 2 15" woofers with alnico magnets and a horn tweeter with level control. The cab is really shallow and a bit on the flimsy side for a sealed 2-15" cab, would sound killer with a guitar. It has a couple small tears in the tolex but everything else is there.

Sounds pretty d@mn good with the Magnum. I can get a wide range of tones out of it (just like the Magnum IV) and the trem and reverb are decent solid state features considering the vintage.

I've never seen one before so when I saw it on sale at a really good price at the local used guitar shop I had to jump on it and reunite it with its brother.

[​IMG]

2. Wagz

Wagz

OK, so file this one under 'previous owner might have been a guitard'

The cab was buzzing quite a bit on my E string during my trial break-in. Popped the back off and both 15"s were in danger of falling off the front speaker panel. Bass players know that speakers must be firmly attached to the speaker panel, especially in a sealed cab. Some new bolts and a little righty-tighty action on everything inside that had a screw head and this thing now punches the way a high-volume sealed cab should. I STOLE it for what I paid.

I have to hand it to Ovation's engineering department back in the day, they didn't under-design or cost engineer ANYthing. Even the casters are overbuilt on this thing, if you see any Ovation amplification for sale and you play any of Ovation's instruments, buy it.