NAD Overton Flyweight 200

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by fretno, Dec 21, 2013.

1. fretno

fretno Supporting Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

so some first thoughts . I like it , it's punchy and loud and has a little edge to it which I like in a bass amp . It does seem to be a little darker than say a Markbass LMIII or most of the micros I've used , MB,GK,GB.. but it has a great straight in tone without the boosted eq of say a GK MB200 .It's also about twice the size of the GK ( it fits in my AI's carry bag) but has a few more controls and in/outs . It is not as refined as those amps as the housing has a few rough edges . Still I like it more than both of those amps as for me it's tone is closer to what I prefer . It does seem to have a little top end roll off built in and may seem a little compressed even with the compressor off but it still gives up a nice punchy dare i say aggressive or edgy tone . The compressor is tied to the input and can be too much if turned up but it can be bypassed with a front knob push on/off . A neg would be the fan is a little noisy but I can live with it , another neg is these are impossible to find . I got this one on a tip from Overton sales that a Canadian dealer Rainbow music had one .http://www.rainbowmusicshop.com/instock/amps.html
    Rainbow did indeed and promptly and very professionally shipped it to me in Los Angeles . With the cost of shipping it put the amp at $370 USD , it's list price was higher than their website but they don't even have any to sell.:eyebrow: Actually not really sure what is up with this company it's funny they don't have these things . Perhaps made in China I'm not sure , I don't see any "made In" on the amp and oddly there is a Rainbow serial sticker both on the back and inside like it was made for them ??? anyhoo I popped for it as I've been wanting to get my hands on one forever. It's a keeper , Overton seems to know what a bass should sound like and they have a nice little product here if they can get them out into the bass world I think you would see them more and more . While not as "honest" as my AI Focus or as powerful it's a cool little micro with some balls and packs a punch. :bassist:

2. Funky-Wunky

Funky-Wunky

I wouldn't mind trying one if they are available. They have a larger 500 watt version.

3. Kirk Bryant

Kirk Bryant

Bump for more user reports, I just heard someone here in town I know has one.

4. MuthaFunk

MuthaFunk

They look like they're likely made in the same factory as the Eden WTX line of amps. The same chassis and knobs.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. orangejulius3

orangejulius3

This amp is nice, but different. The mids on this amp is what makes it a one of a kind.

The sculpt knob is really cool.
    @ noon it sounds flat.
    Maxed out, scoops out the mids.
    Having the sculpt at zero, gives out more of a honky mids tone in a good way. This sculpting tone can be bypassed. If you bypass, it creates another difference which sounds slightly scooped out mids, more of a balanced EQ.

The compressor squishes the low end which gives a good tone as well. Kind of like a driven preamp tube.

7. thebrian

thebrian The Brian abides. Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Well.. this one time.. at band camp..
    I've been using a Flyweight 200 as my main gigging amp for about a year and a half now, and I have nothing but good things to say about it. I play in a 5-piece blues/rock band and it's plenty loud (with my 2 Ampeg SVT210AVs). I usually have the gain at 1/2 and the master just above 1/2 and I really am loud and clear in the band. I have a Mesa M2000 head also (and I've owned tons of amps over the years) and honestly, I like the tone of the Overton almost as good as the Mesa. And when you consider the fact that the Overton is under 3 lbs, and it fits in the front pocket of my gig bag, I now take the Overton to every gig and the Mesa hasn't left the practice room in over a year.

I play with the sculpt bypassed. I haven't gotten a tone that I like better than just having it off, but that's personal preference. I do think it sounds better when the sculpt is on when I'm playing alone, but in the mix of the band I bypass it. This little amp has more ballz than you'd ever think.

8. Chef

Chef Moderator Supporting Member

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Huh.
    Zombie thread.
    However, at least according to the website, they now have units in stock.