1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

NAD - Portaflex Clone With Some Beef

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Frankiebass59, Nov 9, 2012.

1. Frankiebass59

Frankiebass59

Hi, just wnated to share with everyone. I commissioned an all tube amp from Cliff Smith Audio out here in Oz (Kansas) and I just picked it up yesterday. It's kind of a clone of a B-15 but with more watts, like either 50 or 100 of them. The thing sounds amazing. Even though I'm fortunate enough to own a DB750 and an EVOll 500 I've been jonesing for an all tube amp. This is it, wow. Dynamics, definitiion, tubey warmth and as much grind as I like. Does it sound exactly like a B-15? No, but Cliff used the building blocks of the preamp and original specs to design the "Super" version. I wish I could provide some clips but I don't have the means. I can tell you it makes every bass in the stable shine. Some pix:

Attached Files:

2. Frankiebass59

Frankiebass59

More:

Attached Files:

3. username1

username1 Supporting Member

Wow, that is beautiful! Bet it sounds great.
  4. arai

arai

Very nice
  5. TussinBot.

TussinBot.

Saw this, surprised it hasnt gotten more replies. Looks beautiful. If I had an extra mic I would send it to you to record some clips.
  6. paganjack

paganjack

7. Slackerprince

Slackerprince

Sweet.
    What cabinet are you using with it?

S
  8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Looks really cool. TOOBZ!
  9. rodl2005

rodl2005

Looks great. Congrats.
    +1 what cab/s?
  10. christw

christw Always searching for the right Ric... Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: J Worrell Bass
    Cool! If only I had one of those with four 6550's... :D
  11. SactoBass

SactoBass There are some who call me.......Sactobass Supporting Member

Very nice!!! :bassist:
  12. Ender_rpm

Ender_rpm Supporting Member

Sweet. I really wonder why there are not more B15 pre- high power back end clones out there. I know Fargen makes them, and my EBS is pretty close, but it seems like they'd sell? Or are they one of those "Only guys who have gotten past X point in their experience curve" items?
  13. Frankiebass59

Frankiebass59

Thank you all for the kind words. YES it does sound great. I'm a lucky SOB.
    Cliff did an amazing job and his attention to detail borders on the insane, being a tech by trade I can tell you it was a privelidge having him accept the project. And my own insanity for having things done right was quenched!
    Right now I'm using it with a nearful 2x12 + 2x6. Killer, thinking of pairing it up with some sealed cabs. 2x15 maybe......

And he will build it however you want.....
  14. gjbassist

gjbassist Supporting Member

Nice! I'm gonna have to come out and hear Saucy Jack so I can check out your sweet new amp!
  15. Frankiebass59

Frankiebass59

Thanks gjbassist! I only wish we used a backline! We're all FOH and in ears....:(
    However, I love for you to give me a shout and we can get together and talk bass (jeez, did I just say that!) But it would be cool to have you @ a gig. Just let me know if you plan to come by. frankiebass59@aol.com.
    Thanks.....
  16. Frankiebass59

Frankiebass59

Finally opened it up, here's what I found...
    Nice work by Cliff.

Attached Files: