1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

NAD Praise for Traynor and Long&McQuade

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by shawshank72, Sep 25, 2013.

1. shawshank72

shawshank72 Supporting Member

After trying lighweight combo amps with little success i headed up to Long& McQuade to return my gk mb115. Was in a pissy mood dealing with amps when i saw these in the corner, Traynor DNB112 and a DNBX12.
    I had tried out the 12 and 15 combos and was impressed with the power but not the sound which is the opposite of the GK.
    Guy there feeling my pain said listen..
    We have the Traynors that came from the rental department. Still under warranty and on the cheap. One of the other salesman there told me he gigs the DNB115 all the time and took some time with me to explain how to work the eq with these amps.
    Take them home and took his suggestions and wow!!!
    I really overlooked these amps.
    Now i have a 2x12 setup at 400w and if i want to go smaller i can just use the combo alone.
    This setup is just fantastic.
    Here it is.....
    Traynor DNB112 w/ DNBX12 Extention.
    ImageUploadedByTalkBass1380127899.339727.jpg
  2. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

Awesome, glad you found a rig that fits your needs!
  3. shawshank72

Thanks. It is a good feeling.
  4. shawshank72

The more i keep playing on this the better it gets. Has such an authoritative sound to it.
  5. fjadams

fjadams Supporting Member

They've been making quality products for about 50 years.

Wish I still had a YBA-1 and the 2x12 cabinet that went with it.
  6. shawshank72

I know the thread is old but i keep loving this setup more and more.
    As others have told me they do as well, both bands im in love it.
    After another gig last saturday this the best amp setup ive ever owned except for my gk mb212 that i had a couple years back.
  7. bluespenny

bluespenny

Share your settings... Other Traynor users may want to know. I do.
  8. blindrabbit

blindrabbit

I've said it before here and I'll say it again...Traynor really defines underrated for me, at least when it comes to bass gear. I think my Traynor TC112 cabinets (the older version of your extension cabinet) sound just fantastic with my Aguilar TH350 head. They are light as a feather, have a well defined low end, warm mids with no harshness (at least with the tweeter off or below 9 o'clock), totally indestructible, and were ridiculously cheap.

I also have a strong affinity for Traynor's bass amps, but unfortunately they've always proven to be too heavy for me these days. If it wasn't for that, I'd have a Dynabass 800, I just love the tone that amp makes.

Anyway, my bands also love the sounds that come out of my Traynor cabinets, and I love it at the beginning and end of the night when I can easily pick each of them up with one hand.

Enjoy your new gear!
  9. stonewall

stonewall Supporting Member

I Love Traynor...I use the Dynabass 800H head with a single 15 cab great tone & TONS of power to spare.I also have a old Yorkville 400B combo i removed the head put it in a single rack carrying case cut the top rack of the combo off and made it a alone cab.Great sounding older set up.Next im grabbing the Trayner TC 115 Neo Cab.
  10. stonewall

stonewall Supporting Member

I believe Traynor has a long tight connection with Long and McQuade so if you dont deal at Long and McQuade you prolly wont see Traynor in your smaller local music stores.If your a small store and you sell Traynor your basically supporting your competitor.Also i believe GK Bass products are imported to Canada by Traynor.Please correct me if im wrong.
  11. Alex1984

Alex1984

Traynor is a Yorkville brand and is owned by Long & McQuade. They make excellent products and the business model makes so much more sense than Tom Lee.
  12. jason the fox

jason the fox Often rocks and rarely rolls. Supporting Member

The folks at LnM are usually great to deal with and Traynor makes awesome gear. I rented a YBA-200 and TC-810 from LnM a few weeks ago, awesome rig.

I currently have a TC-210 cab that I used quite often, built like a tank, handles a lot of power and sounds great.
  13. shawshank72

That is correct.
  14. shawshank72

When i run the two together i dont need to boost anything really.
    If i want more aggressive sound i run the gain at noon but if not i cut it back to 9-10 o'clock and boost the volume some.
    Bass noon
    Low mid 1 o'clock
    High mid 11 o'clock
    Treble i cut to 10 o'clock
    Never use the expander and i keep the tweeters off.
    When i just run the combo without ext cab
    I change it up.
    Bass 2 o'clock
    Low mid 2 o'clock
    High mid noon
    Treble 11 o'clock
  15. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Which L&McQ did you find that little beast?? :)
  16. shawshank72

At the cambridge one. It is a beast.
  17. Rual1

Rual1

I rent out the DNB 400 1x12 combo a lot and I use it with my Walkabout Scout 1x12 extension at gigs. Sounds great to my ears and has more volume and power than my Walkabout combo. The price and the weight are the only things that are stopping me from buying it right now.
  18. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Both Long and McQuade and Yorkville Sound are private companies owned by the Long family. Yorkville Sound design and manufacture Traynor products in their Pickering manufacturing facility. Yorkville Sound also manufacture their own line of products in the same facility. Additionally they distribute several other products in Canada such as Gibson, Gallien-Krueger, Line 6 to mention only a few.

Jack Long hired Pete Traynor to repair amps in the back of his original Long & McQuade store on Yonge Street (pronounced Young) in Toronto back in the early 60's. Pete in his spare time started developing his own bass amp designs that were built much better and were far more reliable than any other bass amps that were available back then. Pete's amps proved to be so good that there was a huge demand for them. Jack saw what was happening and he and Pete decided to start their own musical amplifier manufacturing company and called it Yorkville Sound. The company is named after one of Toronto's most famous streets, Yorkville Ave. which was the musical mecca of Canada during the 1960's. The rest as they say is history.

TD
  19. steelbed45

steelbed45 TRemington Supporting Member

My first bass amp in 1983 was a Traynor - a 30 watt combo. Weighed around a ton. Solid.
    I no longer live up near Buffalo, but based on that one experience alone, I wouldn't pass up the opportunity to try out new Traynor gear. Glad to hear you found a good fit.
  20. rodl2005

rodl2005

Interesting Thanks TD :thumbup

I've owned both the YBA200 & YBA300. Both are great amps.
    If I could afford another good tube amp, I'd love to have a YBA300 again .