NAD: SVT II NP...I'm in love

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by KablesP, Feb 10, 2014.

1. KablesP

KablesP

I found an absolutely fantastic deal on craigslist and was lucky enough to jump on the opportunity in time.

A little back story first. The guy I bought it from was in a band called Carney based out of LA. Somehow, his band was chosen to be the back for Spiderman on Broadway so the whole band moved to NY to do this show. The management company representing them bought them all very nice professional gear.

The show didn't last long because the performers were getting injured too often so the band broke up shortly after that. Since the guy didn't pay for any of this equipment, he wanted to get it out ASAP and have some money in his pocket. (Basically free money, right?)

So, he sold me his whole rig.

Ampeg SVT II Non-Pro
    Ampeg 4x10HE cabinet
    Flight case for the head
    Speaker and power Cables

I didn't get to mess with the 4x10 all that much but I hooked the head up to an Eden 210XLT and WOW! It sounded very big for a 210 and the tone was gorgeous. I kept trying to turn the knobs to see what I liked but for the most part, everything was straight up and I used the mid switch for shaping with a little cut or boost to the mids.

The really great thing is, with my L2K, I have so many options on the bass that I really don't have to change the amps tone to get several tones. I also prefer the Bright input on the SVT because the L2K is pretty bass heavy as it is, AND I feel like (not 100% sure) that the Bright input also cuts some bass.

I need to log in some more hours on it as well as some shows to really get a feel for it but so far the tone is pure bliss. Still has the original HotRod tubes from SLM!

The gear shows some obvious wear and the cab has the worst of it. Only the grille is bent and the cab is pretty sound. The wheels are a bit wonky too.

One thing I did notice, is that sometimes the sound faded in and out for a second and then sounded normal. Is this the old tubes?

I also have an Avatar B410 Neo that I have to try it with. More than likely, one of the 410s will go and probably the Ampeg. Its very heavy and difficult to move on my own. I would prefer moving an 810 alone. Maybe I will sell both cabs for an 810.

810 for the big gigs and a 210 for the tiny gigs. Sounds pretty good to me!

People are going to hate me if I told you how much I paid :ninja:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. KablesP

KablesP

The head is SERIOUSLY heavey though and the flight case makes it even worse. Thinking about adding wheels and a suitcase bar the comes out so its easier to get around and up and down steps.

3. MattyH

MattyH

Cool. Big heavy amps are my favorite. I can't stand the sound and tones from the lightweight stuff!

I'm a tad confused though. Is this the "very nice professional gear" the management company bought the bassist? Or his rig before doing Broadway? I'm not saying it's not quality, but I figured they'd get NEW stuff haha. Unless the bass player got totally shafted, and it resulted in you getting a heck of a nice used rig at a good price haha.

4. KablesP

KablesP

This is the gear the management bought. I would assume used since the II non pros haven't been made in over 20 years. Not sure about the cabinet. He downsized to a smaller SS combo.

I don't know much about the band as we only talked for about 15 minutes. I would gladly take an SVTII for free from a management companyy though ;)

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Flatbass

Flatbass

Isn't the SVT-II only usable with either a 4 or 2 ohm load? The Ampeg cabinet in your photos is 8 ohms... Be careful for mismatching impedances.

Out of curiosity, is the bright input lower in volume than the normal input? If I plug into the bright input on my SVT-IIP I need to raise the input gain by about a notch to compensate. I've wondered if that's normal.

7. KablesP

KablesP

I noticed that too so I didn't turn it up past bedroom levels. The 210 I have is also an 8ohm cab meant to be paired with another cabinet. I wont how an Eden 210 would sound with an Eden 115.

And Yes, I noticed that the Bright input was a little quieter as well. I had the volume halfway up on the amp and although it was loud, it wasn't too loud. The normal input would have been rattling pics off the walls.

8. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Congrats on a great beast of an amp and cab that flight case looks to be about forty pounds on its own. :)

9. KablesP

KablesP

Its certainly not light and although it is a true pain in the ass to move alone, I would rather know that it's not going to get banged around in transit.

I might have to make some kind of dolly to move it since I live in a 3rd floor apartment and getting it up there is a workout for sure. Maybe ill just get a handtruck. :help:

10. sinbad7

sinbad7

tell us how much!

11. KablesP

KablesP

500 for the lot...:ninja:

12. jmpiwonka

jmpiwonka Supporting Member

on my svtII the bright input seems to sound weaker
    much prefer the sound through the normal input, i just cut the bass some, about 10 oclock or so is where i put it.
    run the mids way up to about 3oclock and the treble varies from straight up to about 2 oclock.

the graphic EQ on my head is really strong too but i don't bother to use that usually.

and yeah, in a case they are really heavy, i pulled mine out so it's easier to move.

also mine was fading in and out when i got it, took it to my tech and he cleaned the preamp out/amp in jacks and it was good. i usually plug a patch cable into those two jacks.

13. KablesP

KablesP

What does using a patch cable do? I played the amp last night at rehearsal and had no fading issues so maybe the jacks are dirty or something.

But, HOLY CRAP!! This is the sound I hear in my head whenever I am trying to coax a tone out of other gear. I used it with an Eden 210 and it sounded gigantic. Granted, we weren't playing very loud and the cab is 8ohm so it's less power but I have never been this happy with my tone. It just has this punch in the midrange that is exactly what I am looking for. Tons of low end and just enough high end bite. I actually add more high end than I need and roll off some on the bass in case I want more bite.

I actually like that the Bright input is a little weaker for when I play smaller shows and rehearsals. I can get it to sound pretty close to the Normal input with some knob adjusting.

I think I am...dare I say...Happy with my tone??!

14. Fair Warning

Fair Warning Deliverin' the Goods! Supporting Member

Dont use the 410 or 210....you could be hurting the amp with 8 ohm cabinets.......read the owners manual

15. KablesP

KablesP

I will definitely do that. Even if you don't push the amp real hard it's not a good thing? Total tube noob here (bass anyway).

I don't know if that 410 was the only cab the guy used with the head though. He may have been running it that way the whole time...