1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

NAD! SVT7 Pro (also comparing it to my Streamliner 900)

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by johnk_10, Apr 26, 2012.

1. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    John K Custom Basses
    USPS delivered my Ampeg SVT7 Pro a couple of hours ago. first impressions: this amp is frickin' awesome!

i'll post some comparison clips with my SVT-VR and Streamliner 900 when a i get a chance, but right now, i'm lovin' it. :D

2. johnk_10

Disclosures:
    John K Custom Basses
    oh, and here's a couple of pics of it:

[​IMG]

with the streamliner 900 sitting on top of it to show the size difference:

[​IMG]

3. jumbodbassman

jumbodbassman Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Born Again Tubey
    sub'd. i respect you opinion of stuff. I had a pf500 and i was disappointed and upgraded to the 7 but havent really had a chance to let is loose. IMO very noticeble difference in warmth from the pf 500. loved it at rehearsal with a henry 8x8 but reasonable volume. most inside winter gigs tend to be smaller venues and i use either an eden or old trace head with an occasional old tube head. I will have to see how it compares to the Markbass SD1200 i have for outside shows as the weather has not been great yet in the NE.

4. rodl2005

rodl2005

Congrats, I like it too.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Dave W

Dave W Previously bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

So, how does it compare to the Streamliner so far? Better? Worse? Different?

7. Jim C

Jim C

Hey John,
    Thanks for buying this as I'd like to know your opinions on the 7 Pro vs. an SVT vs. a channel strip and power amp rig.

8. rodl2005

rodl2005

Give him a chance, coh! :D

9. Alex1984

Alex1984

I'd love to hear your comparison of the 2 heads

10. Dave W

Pish posh. ;)

Everybody knows you can't make a statement like "I have these two sought after amps in my possession..." and not give some kind of review.

So, yeah. Get on that! :bassist:

11. johnk_10

Disclosures:
    John K Custom Basses
    different ;).

12. Jazzbass2010

Jazzbass2010

anxious to hear review of both Streamliner 900 @ Ampeg svt pro 7 :bassist:

13. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    Not picking on the Streamliner but just generally, why do a lot of these micro amps have to be so deep? I don't see the point in giving them a tiny face and having little knobs and switches all cluttered together when they have to have a longer dimension anyway. I think it'd be handier to build them sideways and have more room for all the controls.

14. johnk_10

Disclosures:
    John K Custom Basses
    okay, here's my intial opinion.

SVT7-Pro (w/stock JJ 83S/12AX7)-compared to the Streamliner 900 (with 3 NOS RCA 7025 (12AX7's):

they seem to have the exact same output capability (volume when cranked).
    the 7-Pro can actually dial in a little more dirt if you want it
    the 7-Pro is cleaner, clearer,more transparent and 'natural' sounding- so i feel alittle more 'connected' to it (BTW, it's also actually brighter than either of my SVT's)
    the 7-Pro- has more harmonics and sustained notes often go to the octaves and thirds when cranked- almost too much. (even my SVT's don't do that very much).
    the 7-Pro has more eq flexibility
    it's super punchy and full sounding without any weird harsh peaks or cloudiness.

the Streamliner 900:

all of the notes have a bit more girth than the 7-Pro, especially higher up the neck, and has a little more inherent punch than the 7-pro
    it definitely has a tone/feel of it's own.
    it reminds me a little more of a 100% tube amp but it can get 'cloudy' if you don't have its eq set properly.
    it's not quite as 'touch sensitive' and transparent as the 7-Pro.

overall, i wouldn't have a problem or complaint gigging with either one of them. IMO, they are both great heads. i haven't dragged out the SVT's yet to directly compared them, but i did go back and forth between the STM900 and the 7-Pro. neither one sounds and feels exactly like my SVT's (at least not yet), and in some ways the 7-pro reminds me more of my SVT's but in other ways the STM900 does.

if you're looking for a powerful, lightweight substitute for an SVT, i think either one of these would do it for you. right now, i'm slightly preferring the 7-pro, but then right after that i plug into the 900 and think it's equally as good, and i'm super picky about my amps.

15. majortoby

majortoby

The 7PRO, IMHO, is perfect. ;)

16. johnk_10

Disclosures:
    John K Custom Basses
    to give you an idea of what the two amps sound like, here's a couple of super quick clips (just noodling around) that i just made of the SVT7-Pro and the Streamliner 900. both of them were running thru my 215 Faital 15PR400 cab without moving the mic at all. the bass is a '71 Jazz bass with daddario rounds with the volume and tone controls wide open. the first part of each clip is the neck pickup only, and then both pickups full up. recorded on a zoom h4n with it about 8" off the speaker.

both amps had their tone controls straight up at noon so keep that in mind. i could've matched the ST900's tone closer to the 7-pro if i eq'd it by cutting some bass and adding mids and highs to bring out the upper strings, but i think that setting the tone controls at 12:00 on both amps gives a better idea of each amp's 'baked in' tone.

SVT7Pro

STM900

17. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Previously cybersnyder Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Xsonics cabinets
    Sweet! And thank you, thank you, thank you for playing real bass lines instead of slapping. We get a much better idea of how the amp sounds in the real world.

I think I prefer the SVT 7 Pro.

18. Dave W

Even with the gain button pushed in on the Streamliner?

19. grendle

grendle

Amen!

20. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    Another Amen to that.

21. blowinblue

blowinblue official non-user of Fender and Ampeg Supporting Member

Slap me in the face with a dead rabbit if I'm wrong, but...to me it seems that the Streamliner 'baked in' tone is to be found with the bass at 9 or 10 o'clock, the mid at 2 or 3 o'clock, and the treble at around 1:00. Of course, that opens up a whole other can of worms. Is an amp's 'baked in' tone determined by having the tone controls set at noon? Greater minds (and ears) than mine will need to figure this one out. :)

M. M.