NAD! Vintage KUSTOM K150-1 w/ 215-B cab...(PIC HEAVY)

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by eldoryder, Mar 7, 2014.

1. eldoryder

eldoryder I just LOVE me some Vintage Peaveys! Supporting Member

TUCK 'N' ROLL, BABY!!!!!

I've admired Kustom chunky metalflake naugahyde amps and speaker cabs even BEFORE I wanted to play an instrument. Back in high school days (late 60s, early 70s), everyone wanted a "Kustom Tuck 'n' Roll" outfit.

Lo and behold, in my bimonthly haunting of the local pawn shops, I finally timed one right. A longtime pawn ticket finally came overdue, and the store clerk rolled the item out, and tried to get it to work. The amp wouldn't light up, or make any sound through the cab. They plugged another amp into the cab and it worked fine.

[​IMG]

"But what good was a shabby-looking 40-year-old, dirty, silver chunky metalflake cabinet without a working and matching amp?", I'm guessing the store manager said to himself.

[​IMG]

He had originally priced the two together for $379.95. I have to believe that number either came out of his hat, or eBay! In any case, he didn't know how to take the amp out of the tuck 'n' roll casing to check anything, so he must have figured that he would blow both pieces out for the cost of the pawn ticket itself.

One hour after opening, I walked in. First thing I saw was that sparkly metalflake naugahyde! The NEXT thing I saw was a price tag of "75.00 AS IS"

[​IMG]

After the manager told me the particulars, it took me all of about 5 minutes to hook up an anonymous bass, plug it into an amp, and string it over to the Kustom 215-B cab, to make sure that it worked as he claimed. What a SOUND! Those two 15'ers put out a glorious thump whose only possible description would be (and I'm truly sorry for this...) GNARLY!

[​IMG]

My money was on the counter 2 minutes later. The manager then proceeded to tell me about the two guys who came it directly at opening, and promised to be back at lunch to pick the rig up. Not today! Today is the day I finally found a pawnshop deal! I will be looking for a Kustom club here at TB, and trying to gather as much information online as I can to see if I can rehab the K150-1 amp, as it truly WOULD be nice to have a working and matching set.

[​IMG]

In the meantime, I can enjoy the cab all by itself.

Gee, I wonder how a "Mikey Way Mustang" would look on a stand next to this rig?

[​IMG]

2. dalkowski

dalkowski

boner.

Well done.
  3. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Be careful, I think those are 85 watt speakers - easily cooked.
  4. braud357

braud357

Great snag !! The 150 heads were originally paired with either a 2x12 or a 1x15 cab. The 2x15 cabs were used with either the 200 or 250 heads. Your 150 head will put out around 75 watts RMS, so the speakers should be safe. Glad to know that pawn shop deals still exist out there !
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist Supporting Member

Our band rehearses at the drummers house. His nephew has one of these and he's let me play through it a few times. Really nice old school tone with a P bass. :)
  7. eldoryder

Thanks, all! I'm still thrilled at my good fortune. This is not a real onstage rig or anything, but most of my playing is done in my living room anyway, so if I can ever get the amp to fire up it oughta be just fine for my uses.

I've spent the afternoon cleaning both pieces, and removed the amp to see if the fuse might have been blown. To my dismay, instead I found that the main power switch (a LICON 01-740122...according to the "Vintage Kustom" website, made out of complete "Unobtanium") is broken. This rehab might take a lot longer than I thought to get done.

Anyone have any extra used power switches for one of these?

I'm loving the sound of these 15s. I've already figured out that they shouldn't be pushed really hard. Nice vintage tone....ESPECIALLY with a P bass!

8. bobcruz

bobcruz

Epic score.
  9. RoadRanger

Just bypass it for now and use a switched power strip. Maybe eventually drill a hole on the back for a standard toggle switch.
  10. Basshappi

Basshappi

Very cool, congrats on your sparkly Lady Luck!
  11. Basshappi

Basshappi

Oh, and you should totally rock a Mikey Way Mustang through that! :bassist:
  12. RoadRanger

I love my Mikey Way :)
  13. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

I love the TnR Kustoms too. My first real bass amp in the late 60's. It was a '68 200 head and two 2-15 CTS cabs. Someone on the Vintage Kustom site had some of the switches that you need at one time. I bought one a few years back for a 150 head like yours, but the guitar version with reverb, tremolo etc. There's also information on there for replacing it yourself. I did mine, but it's been so long ago, that I don't remember how. Check the search feature. Enjoy. :cool:
  14. eldoryder

Thanks, Oren....I've been to the Vintage Kustom site often in the last day or so. As it turns out, I was just about 45 days late. Someone sold one of those switches in January. Sadly, that's about the first listing in years for anyone having one of those! The VK site has some great features including some really good techs who know their stuff! It can get pretty dense and WAY above my pay grade in tech talk!

But it's a great resource and I'm enjoying my time in there.

15. DogBone

DogBone

Beautiful score, congrats!

And a big heck yeah on the Mikey Way bass, what a perfect match. :bassist:
  16. HosMan

HosMan Los! Zum dritten Mal denn! Supporting Member

BASTARD!!! and...Arrghhh! HATING YOU....not really,eldoryder. *sigh* God,you got the original killer deal,bro! My music store has the same cab/head but in black t&r. Always loved vtg Kustom gear. Guess those "two guys" got teabagged on this one. hehehe
  17. eldoryder

HosMan, all I can say is that every dog has his day! Last week was mine. I have been on this forum for a couple of years now, and have always been gobsmacked by the amazing stories I've read, such as someone finding a Rickenbacker at a garage sale for (...fill in a ridiculous low price)!

It always happens to someone ELSE, far away. Living in a small town in East Texas, I seldom find much of anything bass-related, much less any DEALS. Hard to believe anyone had any Kustom gear locally at all. I'm just glad I was at the right place, at the right time....THIS time!

Perseverance, luck and opportunity when you least expect it is the key. I've been checking out this same pawn shop for over ten years. This is the FIRST time I ever found a "deal" worth having there. Your day will come! :D

18. Lowbrow

Lowbrow Supporting Member

Fun find! Congrats! Love 2x15