Nail Polish

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by deeptubes, Apr 12, 2014.

1. deeptubes

deeptubes

Ok guys, fess up. Who wears nail polish? I do.

I don't have my nails done professionally or wear colors, and I don't do them myself. Just a clear coat with silver sparkles. My daughter is 3. She loves to paint my nails, fingers and toes. So, I let her do them with the clear sparkle. And, I wear it with pride - a badge of honor. Typically when people notice, they know what's up. "You have a daughter, don't you?" One time, I was asked if my granddaughter did them. :spit: Once in a while, someone will see them and give me a puzzled look. "I have a 3 year old little girl." "Got it. Figured there was a reason." Most ladies think it is beyond cool. "Oh my gosh. You are AWESOME!!" As an electrician, the fingers are usually gone in about a week and a half, but the toes stay pristine for extended periods. It's just about flipflop/sandal season, so I'll be regularly showing off the toes soon.

So how about it, anyone else?
  2. guitar ed

guitar ed

My daughter is now 12, 13 in a month. I gotta say. I miss those days.

She used to do my nails & my hair. I went out in public that way. People would look or ask, and I would just say "I have a daughter." That quickly divided the world into those who understood, and I cared about, and those who did not understand, and that I did not care about.

You are doing your daughter more good than you understand, at least for now. Some day it will hit you. And you will smile.

Give her a hug from a dad who understands.

edg
  3. TBird1958

TBird1958 As a matter of fact....I am your Queen! Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist Mike Lull T Bass pickups
    Sure, I do!

It's a lot of work but occasionally when I'm getting ready for a show I'll do them - tho playing the bass wrecks polish pretty fast. Sometimes when I get my haircut I'll have my nails done with some clear gloss along with a manicure - which is a good thing, bassists should take good care of their hands.
  4. Milk

Milk Supporting Member

Well....my gf likes to occasionally do my toenails for no good reason whatsoever. I don't care cause while i do go barefoot in the house, outside of the comfort of home, no one ever gets to see my toes. Its surprising how long this stuff stays on if you don't take it off with remover though... like months. Of course most will chip but some will stay.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

I clip my nails whilst making a bowel movement every week and a half or so. That's the extent or my nail care.
  7. hover

hover

Used to do them black. All on my own. Waaay back when, my daughter didn't ever paint my nails, but she used to "do my hair". And you're damn right I went out with it just the way she did it.
  8. BigDanT

BigDanT Supporting Member

I have two daughters. The youngest is going on 17 and I can't count how many times I:

Had my nails painted
    Had my hair styled
    Had makeovers
    Wore jewelry
    Played Prince Erik or Beast or Captain Hook
    Went swimming when it was too cold
    Went hiking when it was too hot
    Ate pieces of bread sprinkled with coffee and powdered sugar that were made just for me
    Ate special bowls of soup made just for me made from every ingredient in the refrigerator
    Danced in the middle of the living room
    "Talked" various stuffed animals
    Invented bedtime stories about princesses or puppies
    Hid buried treasure in the backyard
    Dug holes to nowhere
    Walked with them on my shoulders
    Dressed as a pirate
    Played crazy cart in the grocery store
    or
    Pretended that we could change the color of stop lights, open grocery store doors or turn the radio station by using magic!

I don't know that I always felt this way at the time, but looking back I could care less what anyone thought about what I did or how I acted except my girls!
    :bawl:

So have fun and enjoy those years they are among the best you'll ever have.:D
  9. ()smoke()

()smoke()

life is wonderful when you love someone and feel loved. great post man, great post
  10. BBox Bass

BBox Bass Supporting Member

I'm hard on my hands and seldom wear nail polish, but own a lot of it for a practical reason: It's great for touching up instruments. I have several basses in odd colors and have been able to find nail polish to match most of them.
  11. Vince Klortho

Vince Klortho

These posts posts bring back a lot of memories. Now I have granddaughters and it's like deja vu all over again. The really funny thing is their mother is giving them ideas but they manage to think up new things on their own too. :)
  12. Darren Low

Darren Low

Yeah I like painting my nails. Unfortunately, they look better long, but keeping them short makes playing bass easier, so I don't do it too often.

Attached Files:

13. GKon

GKon Supporting Member, Boom-Chicka-Boom Supporting Member

When I was a younger guy and more outwardly punk (now I'm more inwardly punk :) )
    I used to constantly paint my fingernails either black, or this bright, puke green.

Also, as a younger man, when I was a competitive Muay Thai fighter, I'd paint my toenails black, because it would mess with the psychology of my opponent being that it was something very uncommon to do. They'd see my foot coming their way to land a kick, and then this momentary ***?! look on their face when they'd notice the black polish :D

Ah, the good ol' days.
  14. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick Supporting Member

I've lost count of the number of times I've been out and about with a glittery pinky.
  15. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Years ago I used to strum guitar without a pick and it tended to wear out specific parts of my nails, so I used to use nail varnish as a sacrificial layer on the strumming hand only.
  16. 6jase5

6jase5 Mammogram is down but I'm working manually Gold Supporting Member

My 3 year old daughter..."Colored nails is only for girls....and daddy....you should like trucks."
  17. Darth Handsome

Darth Handsome

What a bunch of fancy boys.
  18. TBird1958

TBird1958 As a matter of fact....I am your Queen! Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist Mike Lull T Bass pickups
    I'm a Nancy Boy :D
  19. Darth Handsome

Darth Handsome

20. kanonfodr

kanonfodr Supporting Member

I started painting my toenails in Iraq, first as a dare, then just to freak people out. When I got back to Hawaii after that tour, I found a color that matched my motorcycle so I figured I had a manly enough reason to do it and it still freaked people out. I don't wear flip-flops nearly enough to justify doing it nowadays, but it was fun while it lasted.

Peace,
    Greg
  21. edpal

edpal The hell you say!? Gold Supporting Member

My fingernails always get painted for gigs...started doing that back in '80s while in an Alice Cooper tribute band. Sparkles look awesome under lights. My wife recently got some little LED finger rings for the kids in her classroom.....I appropriated one of each color :D Bet my guitarist will hate them - Mr. Conservative!:spit:

I do the clear-coat sometimes to stabilize a cracked nail and then give it a quick swipe with a sanding pad to take the shine away. I only do the shine and sparkle for entertainment purposes, I don't have the time, lifestyle or interest to keep that up on a daily basis.