1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Naked strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by LowKee, Sep 16, 2010.

1. LowKee

LowKee

Has anyone tried these? I can't seem to find any info on them. It doesn't even say if they are roundwound or flats on their website. Other than the lack of info it seems like a killer deal if they are any good.

2. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    "and feature nickel plated steel woundings over a hex core"

I suspect they are rounds, but I'm always weary of companies that can't spell.

3. darkstorm

darkstorm

woundings? Humm, think I'll pass. Agrees with FunkMetalBass.

4. bottomzone

bottomzone

I contacted them via email. In their reply, I was told that their strings are nickel wound over a hex core, they are considering making taper core strings and that the strings come "naked" in the shipping container. If they had stainless steel wound, I'd give them a try.

A Groove is a Terrible Thing to Waste! :cool:

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. DrSmaggs

DrSmaggs

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist:
    I would love to try some strings that won't cost me 50 bucks for a set that I hate. I've been having bad luck lately.

My point is, I'm always interested in hearing about anyone else's experience, good or bad, with strings I know little to nothing about.

I'll be watching this thread :)

7. Joel_bass

Joel_bass

Looks like they fixed the typo.

8. Pete

Pete

I did the custom set for a 6 string. Kinda lame, the only C was a 30/40/45 option, no 100 option for the E. weird. I'll keep my Xl's

9. bassplayer7770

bassplayer7770

I'm currently buying the XL Twin Packs, and I also prefer a 100 E-string, but I'm still curious about the Naked Strings. I may have to order some and try them out sometime.

10. davideuck

davideuck

Could you describe them in terms of sound and expecially in terms of feeling/tension vs d'addario XL or other strings? Long lasting?

11. bassplayer7770

bassplayer7770

That user has been banned. Just fyi.

How do these strings compare to others? How's the low B? What gauges did you get?

12. lmfreeman9

lmfreeman9 Supporting Member

3 sets of 45-105 for $25 shipped! I ordered. If anyone wants a piece of it to try these, let me know by PM. It will be a little more with paypal fees and reshipping but still around $10.

13. trunkshope6

trunkshope6

wow pretty good deal ima try them out when i have a bit of cash

14. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Dingwall ABZ Player Supporting Member

I'm interested to see what you think about these strings once you get them. I was a D'addario guy, then a DR guy for a long time, 'til it got too expensive, and once I accumulated a lot of basses, I tried out Webstrings. Everyone says Webstrings are like Ernie Ball, which I have only tried (at a separate time from having the Webstrings) on my 5-string, and I find that I'm pleased with the EB strings.

Webstrings are $11 a set, plus shipping cost, so that's already a significant saving if the Naked strings turn out to be good.

I'm leery because of what Low F Sharp said about them being like Boomers, a string I could not stand when I tried them.

15. lmfreeman9

I just got them. Cannot use all 3 sets and will be putting some on the classifieds.

16. bassplayer7770

bassplayer7770

17. line6man

line6man

Weather you are playing through complex racks of gear directly into a computer or plugging your guitar directly into a vintage tube amp, we’ve got you covered with strings made from the finest quality materials made in the USA with USA made steel.

Interesting.

18. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Disclosures:
    Why is this such a difficult concept for you?

Strings made in the USA.
    Steel for strings made in the USA.
    Website programmed in Taiwan.

:p

That reminds me, I'll be needing your help designing my most complex switch to date. PM to come later today.

19. lmfreeman9

I ended up selling all 3 sets, hopefully the 2 users will step up and tell us how they sound.

20. CSWStrings

CSWStrings

Disclosures:
    Co Owner/Product Manager: Naked Strings LLC
    Hey Guys,

I'm Co-Owner and Product Manager for Naked Strings. I learned of this forum from a few of my customers. I thought I'd create an account to clear up a few misrepresentations mentioned here as well as make myself available if you have any questions or special requests. First a little background on who we are. I have been a professional musician for 23 years.... actually everyone that works for us is a guitar/bass player. But as I'm sure we are all painfully aware, music alone doesn't make the mortgage payment. Ten or so years ago I began working in the musical string manufacturing industry. As an Artist Relations Manager and Sales Manager, I was quickly frustrated with unwillingness of some companies to work with musician's requests for custom gauges. I also know first hand how much of your string money goes toward retail packaging. Naked Strings is a concept that I have been working on for years. Our strings are indeed made here in Florida with the same USA steel that the big boys use. The difference is that we've cut out a lot of overhead and choose to sell directly to Musicians at a fair price. I'm not here to tell you that we have reinvented the wheel or that our strings are great and everything else is crap. There are some fantastic string options these days... and believe me, I've tried them all. But if you want great quality strings for a price that won't break the bank. Check us out.

We launched the website last month and began making the most popular gauges of nickel roundwound, non-tapered, ex long scale bass strings. WE DO have plans on expanding into stainless steel, flatwound and tapered strings as well as offering more gauge options. But at the moment we are busy keeping up with current orders for the nickels. Please feel free to email me through the forum if you have any questions, comments, bitches, etc.

BTW, the website was also designed and built here in Clearwater, FL. They built us a very cool App for building customs sets.... even if their spelling is not so good. The typo has been noted, thanks.

21. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Disclosures:
    Good to have you on the boards.

I'm a bit of a grammar-nazi, so while I do place heavy emphasis on being as clear and grammatically correct as possible, I'm the same guy who would buy an instrument from TradeTang. Take what I say with a grain of salt. The "made in taiwan" bit was very much a joke.

I actually really like your business plan. It's a creative take on string sets with complete customization. Given time and good reviews, I forsee very good things in the future. The music community could always use more forward thinking like that.

Best of luck to you guys. :bassist:

Also, as a suggestion (if they aren't already posted), string tensions would be great to see. Balanced tension sets are picking up in popularity and I think it'd be a good idea to hop on that train asap.