Name on cab?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by ::::BASSIST::::, Dec 28, 2012.

1. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Relax... Nothing Is Under Control. Supporting Member

This is my fEARful 12/6 nearing completion. I just have to add the grills. The baffle has genuine maple veneer on it (which was a bugger to apply) and unfortunately this pic does not do it justice as the grain is washed out in the light. Its 36LBS, will take about 750w and gets very loud and sounds freakin amazing.

Opinions wanted: Should I paint over my name or leave it? And yes I still need to tidy up the marks left when I had to re-do my front feet positioning.

I am strongly leaning to the painting over option.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. LowEZ

LowEZ Supporting Member

Put a Peavey logo on it! :D

Seriously, I prefer it painted over.
  3. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    It looks cleaner to me without the name. The big blue block letters really take away from what is a really classy looking cab. Though it may be cool to re-do the name in a classy font/style. Perhaps even something like a carved, dark wood logo on the maple baffle.

What are you doing for a grill? The thing looks really nice raw with the pretty wood. Wouldn't really want to cover that up, but, holes in the speaker cones are a real buzz killer. Waffle grills may be an option, but again, maybe a different style of "speaker cover only" grill to keep the classy look rather than the typical sort of square hole waffle grills?

Anyway, it's a sweet looking cab. If it were mine, I wouldn't want to add something to it that would in any way take away from that.
  4. jHawk Customs

jHawk Customs

Disclosures:
    Authorized Builder - greenboy designs including fEARful
    I have to agree with Will- You did a very nice job on the cab Torin, it looks choice!

You could always put your name on the back?
  5. dukeorock

dukeorock Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Authorized fEARful/FEARLESS/greenboy designs builder
    I love it as-is too!

What are you gonna do for a grill?
  6. cableguy

cableguy

My vote is no name. The cab looks great though Torin. Are you going to put a grill on? Or are you just going to cover the speakers?
  7. slyjoe

slyjoe Supporting Member

Go with your lean, keep it clean.
  8. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    The 6" cone has some sort of different purple-ish hue to it. If you wanted to do a logo, perhaps try to match that?

Just an idea.
  9. Codger

Codger Supporting Member

The maple veneer looks great. Now do the port! :bag:

Just kidding - it's a great look as is. What are you going do for a speaker cover that will let the maple baffle come through?
  10. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Drilled out and polished plexiglass/lucite.:D
  11. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    I hope the OP is firing up his sewing machine and making a cover for that thing,...or being very careful transporting it.:D

In all seriousness OP, the word "classy" keeps sitting on the top of my mind. I'd put some thought into finishing touches and take some precautions to see it stays that way. Very nice work.

You need a matching tie and/or hatband now.:)
  12. christw

christw Get low!

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: J Worrell Bass
    You could make a road case style front travel cover and hope your band mates don't kick you in the cones at shows. ;)
  13. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    My standard for grill hole size is something the smallest piece of music equipment there is can not fit through and reach the cone....that being the sharp end of a broken drumstick. Coincidentally, that's also about the right size to stop childrens fingers and pencils.;)
  14. ::::BASSIST::::

Well, I do have the waffle style grills for this cab that I intended to put on, but you guys are making me think otherwise! Actually, unless I go full grill, there are not alot of other options besides the waffle. However, if I recall correctly, Mike Arnopol was using some nice grills with the small 'mesh' style. I might look into that. At any rate, one of the great thing about DIY cabs is that I can always make a change later. Its just wood and glue, man! Oh and a little bit of elbow grease.

As to the name, I am still leaning towards painting over it. I'd love to put the maple veneer in the ports but its tricky to work with as the veneer bubbles up if you are not super careful. Even then I got a bit of that on this cab, but its not noticeable unless you rub your hand over the baffle. There are a couple areas where the veneer seems a bit 'wavy' for lack of a better description.

But yeah, thanks for the compliments! The greatest thing is that she's a real powerhouse and can take one hell of a pounding and she sounds far better than she looks.
  15. will33

will33

Disclosures:

Refering to it as "she" means it's a success. Or rather, she's a success.
  16. nortonrider

nortonrider

I gotta vote....... No Name.

Maybe put it on the back or top instead.
  17. ::::BASSIST::::

Yes, indeed. :hyper: I also love her big brother! :bassist:

[​IMG]
  18. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    I've always liked that one with the western saddle/paisley print stuff. Thinking of it in faux leather brown with black hardware.....
  19. ::::BASSIST::::

Yeah, I changed it to flat black with a bit of paint. The brown is nice, but I do like the black better... in person.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  20. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Not to deride another man's GAS when it's DIY but what's it going to do for you that the 15/6 doesn't?

fwiw the blue lettering is tacky as.