Name that jazz bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lilcrate, Jan 15, 2014.

1. lilcrate

lilcrate Supporting Member

2. DudeWheresMy182

DudeWheresMy182

Ahhhh, that's the infamous 'boner bass' with the horns that are a little different. I think they were mid 90's? Someone else can help with that. But yes, a Fender American Jazz.
  3. svlilioukalani

svlilioukalani

That's what I believe it is.
  4. Marko5657

Marko5657 Supporting Member

I think the lower cut is a bit deeper than normal for higher-fret access, and it makes the upper horn look longer.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. gjbassist

gjbassist Supporting Member

7. lilcrate

lilcrate Supporting Member

Interesting! Thanks everyone!
  8. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    This is the first American Standard series (89-94) - that model name is still used to this day but not this design. That price is average for these basses and in good condition the only issue is the bridge. For whatever reason the string spacing is wide (not standard width)
  9. johnson79

johnson79

Yeah, I never really loved mine. The bridge was an issue. It was a 21 or 22 fret neck. Can't remember.
  10. JIO

Disclosures:
    Individual preference is always subjective but the boner's a pretty decent (22 fret) J once the bridge is swapped out.
  11. BurningSkies

BurningSkies Supporting Member

More particularly, that one looks to be of the 92-94 time period, in Midnight Blue.

I happen to have the exact same model/year in that color.

Also, I've never had any problems with the standard bridge, and I played one as my main gigging instrument for about 10 years.
  12. High Camp

High Camp

I too own a Longhorn (that's the official nickname ;-) ), one from '92 and firstowner.
    I love it! And over the years the bass has matured in sound, just like wine.
    In fact, I wish I had two so I could one with rounds and the other with flats.
  13. johnson79

johnson79

It was a great bass, don't get me wrong. First new instrument I ever bought. Got it for $550 that I saved when I was a sophomore. Had I known that the issue was just the bridge I may have kept it. Sadly there wasn't all of this knowledge readily available and I was just a dumb kid.
  14. JIO

Disclosures:
    Both youth & hindsight are golden ;) - and as far as the bridge, some players don't have an issue w/it, but it was oddly wide putting the E & G on the very edge of the fb. (2 3/4" compared to a standard 2 5/8") It didn't bother me at first, but switching between my Jazzes, finger-placement discrepancies became apparent.

And High Camp makes a good point. These basses are over 20 yrs old and it's not a stretch to say they are coming into their own now with age.
  15. johnson79

johnson79

I had the biggest issue with the G. Practically fell off the board. But, I wish I still had it.