Name That Pickup

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bass_case, Dec 3, 2013.

1. bass_case

bass_case Used Register Supporting Member

This was installed as a bridge pup on my 69 FrankenTele bass when I bought it years ago. No idea of the brand or age, I bought the bass in 1976. No visible markings.
    ImageUploadedByTalkBass1386081541.965140.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTalkBass1386081626.533435.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTalkBass1386081649.343550.jpg
  2. lundborg

lundborg

It looks like a Gibson bass bridge pickup, and some residue on the bottom suggests that there could have been a PAF sticker.

But then again I think Gibson PUs usually had a braided wire, so I don't know... There might have been variations, or it might have been replaced.

Maybe someone else knows more about aftermarket PUs (or e.g. close Japanese clones) in the '70s?
  3. bass_case

It could be 60s or 70s vintage, since it had a 65 pbass neck.
  4. kohntarkosz

kohntarkosz

It could be a rewound Gibson. The hookup wire looks replaced at some point. I'm not sure if Gibson ever put a radius on their pickup surrounds like the one you can see in picture two. Even the flat-head screws check out.
  5. bass_case

Looked some old Gibson EB pix, the surround appears to be made for an archtop, so that rules out the eb3, but there was a 2-pup version of the semihollow EB-2 that it might fit (EB-2d). But the wire doesn't match other pups of this type.

Thanks for all who provided clues.
  6. RBS_Johnson

RBS_Johnson

Don`t forget all the generic hollow body basses from that era. Mostly violin bass style. I have an old Aria with guitar sized humbuckers in it.