1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Name That Pickup

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bass_case, Dec 3, 2013.

1. bass_case

bass_case Used Register Supporting Member

This was installed as a bridge pup on my 69 FrankenTele bass when I bought it years ago. No idea of the brand or age, I bought the bass in 1976. No visible markings.
    ImageUploadedByTalkBass1386081541.965140.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTalkBass1386081626.533435.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTalkBass1386081649.343550.jpg
  2. lundborg

lundborg

It looks like a Gibson bass bridge pickup, and some residue on the bottom suggests that there could have been a PAF sticker.

But then again I think Gibson PUs usually had a braided wire, so I don't know... There might have been variations, or it might have been replaced.

Maybe someone else knows more about aftermarket PUs (or e.g. close Japanese clones) in the '70s?
  3. bass_case

It could be 60s or 70s vintage, since it had a 65 pbass neck.
  4. kohntarkosz

kohntarkosz

It could be a rewound Gibson. The hookup wire looks replaced at some point. I'm not sure if Gibson ever put a radius on their pickup surrounds like the one you can see in picture two. Even the flat-head screws check out.
  5. bass_case

Looked some old Gibson EB pix, the surround appears to be made for an archtop, so that rules out the eb3, but there was a 2-pup version of the semihollow EB-2 that it might fit (EB-2d). But the wire doesn't match other pups of this type.

Thanks for all who provided clues.
  6. RBS_Johnson

RBS_Johnson

Don`t forget all the generic hollow body basses from that era. Mostly violin bass style. I have an old Aria with guitar sized humbuckers in it.