1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. We are currently evaluating the "One Post Per Classified Ad" policy. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Name this distortion pedal...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by DrowningBrian, Jan 24, 2014.

1. DrowningBrian

DrowningBrian

Hey guys! Can y'all help me figure out what distortion pedal he's using? Sounds like a Boss DS-1 or BOSS SD-1.

2. father of fires

father of fires Supporting Member

Saw them at Unfest and the bassist had a Fulltone GT500. I'm sure their were other pedals but that's the one I remembered.

I had one for a hot minute and I think it sounded similar. It just didn't work with my bass.

I bet you could message them and ask.
  3. DrowningBrian

DrowningBrian

i have the fulltone bassdrive, i should be able to get pretty close with it in vintage mode. thanks!
  4. father of fires

father of fires Supporting Member

Not necessarily. The Bassdrive is an opamp/diode distortion. The GT500 is a discrete FET distortion. Most distortion sounds the same but FET distortions are perceived to be more amp-like and organic. But with the right bass and EQ I think the Bassdrive could get you there.

Lets not forget that recordings have all sorts of studio tricks going on.

I stand by my original suggestion of asking them.
  5. DrowningBrian

DrowningBrian

yeah very true about different types of distortions. i play a p bass thru a vintage svt and ampeg 8x10 with the bassdrive.sounds gnarly putting it in comp-cut and diming the tone and overdrive...oh yeah and hitting that boost! holy tube distortion!