Nash Basses, opinions?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Not yet, Feb 16, 2014.

1. Not yet

Not yet

Been hearing lots lately. What's the general thoughts

2. Gasman

Gasman Gold Supporting Member

Subbed. I almost pulled the trigger on one online last week, but decided to wait. I'm actually more interested in the negative comments. They look cool, and Minot really one who cares for reliced basses in general.

3. Bassisgood4U

Bassisgood4U Banned

Nash basses remind me of the fake antique vaces and such you'd see at Meijer.

4. Not yet

Not yet

How do they play?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Bassisgood4U

Bassisgood4U Banned

I'm too offended to touch one, and don't care for the standardized commercial relicing.

Are they in any way affiliated with Axl Badwater?

7. ShoeManiac

ShoeManiac Supporting Member

A friend lent me his JB-63 to demo for a few weeks. An incredibly cool thing to do, btw. I found it to be one of the best playing Jazz basses that I'd ever come across. And if circumstances had worked out well, I probably would've bought it from my friend. The neck felt amazing, and the Lollar pickups sounded phenomenal.

I'm not going to get into the relic thing because that's a discussion unto itself. Some like it, some don't. For me, the sticking point with Nash finishes is that some colors look a little more true to the Fender finishes they were based on than others. There are a few that I've seen with finishes that were almost matte in nature, and not glossy at all. And I really didn't like those particular samples. But the finish work on some others that I've seen look positively beautiful.

If I were buying a Nash I would almost certainly want to see it first. I don't know if I'd feel okay buying a new one sight unseen. At the very least I'd need to see some photos. New, I think they might be a bit pricey. The secondary market for them is pretty good, though. You can get a used Nash for between $1200 and $1500 or so.

8. Gecko 5

Gecko 5

I've played several at Chicago Music Exchange a few years ago.
    I LOVE the relic look.
    I don't think they do it well.
    IMHO

9. redstrand

redstrand Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Fool For Four Strings
    Are they affiliated with Axl? Wow please do some research. Nash tends to overdo the relic but they the best playing fender style bass out there, my 57 has been a/b'd with the real thing(mine has a Novak on-v in it) and it plays so very nice and sounds damn close. The neck is to die for and the body is comfortable one piece ash. It's a better fender for a lot less. Like anything else just play one before you offer an opinion.

10. nixdad

nixdad

Been there, done that a few years ago. I was not impressed with the final product.

I was looking forward to the '63 P-Bass I had ordered based upon the photos on the website. Not long before it was shipped, I was informed the bass would no longer include the pickup & bridge covers as were originally included. When the bass arrived, there was no finger rest/tug bar included either. The finish was not as detailed as others I had seen as well. With this particular bass, it was also unfortunate that the 7th fret E note on the A string would not play in tune, even after the bass was intonated. I had the sense that quantity over quality was the priority. I sold the bass shortly thereafter.

11. Bassisgood4U

Bassisgood4U Banned

I didn't offer an opinion on how a Nash plays. The OP didn't specifically ask. With them being Fender copies, I felt I was kinda in the experience ball park to at least comment on the looks.

Now I've played a Badwater...:p:p

12. Not yet

Not yet

Actually I did get more specific and ask how it plays. Looking for another P and based on the places where I play talked myself out of a Sadowsky that I'd worry about.

Have an outstanding 20year Fender I've put 1000s of stage hours on looking for something slightly different

A Metro Sadowsky would work but don't care for PJs

Thoughts welcome

13. redstrand

redstrand Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Fool For Four Strings
    If you're into Fender then a Nash is a great compliment to it, for around 1500 it's hard to beat for that. That said I wouldn't trade my Ric either different beast and feel. For around that price you could try one of Cataldo's tbirds, that would give you something different but still rock and blues worthy.
    The feel of my Nash P neck is still the best around, I lend it out for folks to gauge what a well done neck feels like, like anything YMMV.
    And please don't base your opinion on looks I didn't like these until I played them, learned a good lesson that way...play it and see how it sounds looks are irrelevant.

14. scyzoryk

scyzoryk

Do some searches on TB. I remember seeing some posts regarding very, very poor build quality and craftsmanship on his basses. I can't remember the details, but don't pull the trigger until you find the post I'm talking about.