Nashville, TN Suggestion?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by clokwise, Feb 11, 2014.

1. clokwise

clokwise

Hi!
    I know I feel like I should have 1,000 connections at my fingertips but I am new to the upright world. Anyone have any suggestions of some places to go check out a few decent prices uprights in Nashville, TN? Theres always craigslist but I'd prefer to visit a shop where they know their stuff first. I currently play on an EUB, which I know is different and thats another argument for another day. But I'd love to, when money allows, to transition to a real upright.
    Thanks
  2. KUNGfuSHERIFF

KUNGfuSHERIFF

Williams Fine Violins is well spoken of, and George Gruhn has a few interesting pieces in stock.
  3. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Media:
    Albums:
    Disclosures:
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
  4. clokwise

clokwise

Thanks guys! I had saw Williams in a Google search and wanted to check it out. I've been in Gruhn's several times before mostly just to drool on stuff before they make me leave. Incredible shop. Can't afford a thing in there! But great place.
  5. scotch

scotch Will play bass for fish tacos. Plus cash. Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Please see Profile for Endorsement disclosures
    Dustin Williams at Williams Fine Violins! That's the place to start.
  6. Bill Baldock

Bill Baldock

Disclosures:
    Baldock String Repair - Vintage Whimsy Antiques
  7. jazzbill

jazzbill

8. jolok

jolok

I bought a decent ply from Nashville Violins, and, while I haven't had any work done on the bass there, I was very happy with their service and I really like the bass -- well setup and very playable for a noob :)
  9. Jeremy Darrow

Jeremy Darrow

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Genz-Benz Amplifiers
    Williams is the best shop for basses in town.
  10. Heifetzbass

Heifetzbass

Disclosures:
    Owner, Gencarelli Bass Works and Fine String Instruments, LLC.
    I second, or third, or fifth (lost count) the Williams recommendation!
    BG
  11. clokwise

clokwise

Awesome. Thanks guys. I will try to go visit them this weekend. I wish they were open when I got off work :( I'd love to drop by before then!
  12. MikeBNashville

MikeBNashville

also, check out corner music, i was just in there and they have a couple of pretty good used DB's for sale.
  13. clokwise

clokwise

Thanks Mike. I am def going to try to get over to Williams this weekend. I do like their rental option to see if its for me. Unfortunately, purchasing one is not in the near future yet. I don't quite have the $1k+ to drop on that yet :)
  14. pnchad

pnchad

Williams trip too - 4 hrs for me but it's a nice day trip
  15. MikeBNashville

MikeBNashville

right on clok, yeah, williams would be the place to go. also, if you are actually in nashville, ive got an older bass (that will need to be restrung) that i MIGHT let ya mess around on. i actually got it at the flea market for $200. theres no name anywhere on it, but it sounds decent, especially for someone trying to get the feel.
  16. clokwise

clokwise

Mike that would be incredible. I would love that actually. If you ever come to conclusion let me know. I won't pressure :) Im thinking about giving the rental a spin just to see. $75 for a month ain't so bad. I really would love to be able to just sit in at some bluegrass jams. Or some of the various bands around that need upright. I'm a long time electric and have just recently decided I really wanted an upright. I'm not a career musician but it sure is a fun hobby.
  17. Ike Harris

Ike Harris

If he still has them, David Spicher had some basses for sale at his place. Might be a good deal there. Send me a pm if you're interested. Also check Holmes website for the Jackson area shop.

Ike