Nathan East just had the most fun of the entire Grammy night!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by adamsmatthewj, Jan 26, 2014.

1. adamsmatthewj

adamsmatthewj Supporting Member

Nathan just KILLED IT with Daft Punk! Sweet licks in that jam!

And it looks like he prob had more fun than ANYONE! Was great.
  2. Matt Lake

Matt Lake Supporting Member

That was really GREAT. I was watching for Lee Sklar with Kris and Willie but it was not much.
    Daft Punk and Stevie killed it!
  3. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

That was cool
  4. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Supporting Member

I wish Nathan East had been allowed to come up when the awards were given, but I am pretty sure he is happy as a sideman.

Who was the drummer?
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Supporting Member

Thanks, I knew he looked familiar.
  7. Freddy-G.

Freddy-G. Supporting Member

Watching Nathan East tear that song up was the highlight of the show for me. His playing was "harder, better, faster, stronger". (Sorry, I couldn't resist using that Daft Punk reference. :D)
  8. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Yep. That was not only the best part of the whole telecast, it was arguably the only part worth tuning in for.
  9. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    I was surprised to see Omar Hakim on drums. That was the best segment of the night. And I bet all the young folks were writing us off! We sure showed them how it's done!

On another note, I loved the Chicago/Robin Thicke segment as well.
  10. svtb15

svtb15

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist:Alleva-Coppolo| MESA |Genz-Benz R.I.P.|REDDI|Westone
    The thought that Daft Punk won Album of the year is almost like Jethro Tull winning best heavy Metal record in '89 or so.. So much better choices could have should have been made... I think the grammys are run by trendies.. That are easily misguided. Stevie Wonder sounded terrible, but Omar and Nate nailed it... Sad, because the Grammys have so much power to push agenda...
  11. adamsmatthewj

adamsmatthewj Supporting Member

Seeing Chicago play "blurred lines" was SO awesome!

I actually thought that Kendrick Lamar & Imagine Dragons stole the show, not necessarily cause of their actual compositions (ID doesn't really do anything for me) but to me, the way they interwove their arrangements and the drum breakdowns and the entire production of their performance was pretty next-level compared to most of the other performances.

Of course none of them will ever compare to Nathan, Niles, Omar and Stevie!!
  12. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

...and just for the record, apparently the other guitarist was Paul Jackson Jr.!
  13. LightGroove

LightGroove

Got to agree... Stevie Wonder did not sound good. Did not realize that was Nathan East but he was all smiles. Got a little annoyed with the constant "Up all night" as the song and arrangement progressed...but who am I?

Got to give it up for Imagine Dragons..sitting in that audience after their performance soaked in red paint(whatever it was) had to suck..but they were all smiles.
  14. jmela

jmela

It's an industry event, meaning the awards are about units shipped and not profound musical statements, period. Daft Punk sold a lot of records this year but also went out of their way to use all live musicians on their record, which is (sadly) remarkable.

Though NEast and Hakim sounded great. Wonder sounded lousy but Pharrell can't really sing, either. It was fun because the guys were stretching the song out a little bit, and because it's two robot-helmet-wearing French guys, how serious could it/ should it be?

Liked that 'studio' backdrop too!
  15. Slough Feg Bass

Slough Feg Bass

totally, the studio set design with the colored lights was super cool.
    Nathan & Omar we on the spot with that one, and they looked like they were having a ball. I thought it was cool that Omar was playing with headphones, and I wonder if they were used for monitoring or if he had a click in there or something.

Regardless, super cool, and Nathan put so many cool licks in there, very nice performance.
  16. Roy Vogt

Roy Vogt Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Accuracy, Carvin, Hotwire, Conklin Basses, DNA, Eden
    DVR'ed the whole thing. I'm going to watch it tonight. There is a link on Youtube and it sounds like there was a lot of "time stretching" going on. Was that the link or how they played it?
  17. T-MOST

T-MOST Supporting Member

yes, the phenomenal Omar Hakim! Also, on stage was first call guitarist Paul Jackson, Jr. An Amazing assembly of talent! Omar has worked with Nile before on his Chic tours.
  18. Gasman

Gasman Gold Supporting Member

It was almost the musical highlight of an otherwise pretty tedious show. Omar looked like he was having the best time! I'm not a huge fan of the dance/techno genre, but that song is really, really good. I shouted to my wife "That's Nathan East! He's a bad a$$!" during the performance, but she has no idea who he is….

Nile Rogers- well, just awesome. What can I say?

I thought Stevie Wonder sounded like sweet dreams. Love that guy. They did seem to have an awkward moment in the first verse, but I thought they pulled it together for the most part. Much better than the other "celebrity" collaborations, except for the Buckingham/NIN version of "Copy of A", which was incredible. As great as it was, it was ruined by the ads/credits over QOTSA, which was why I watched the stupid thing to begin with. I can only imagine how that played out live.
  19. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

I called up that clip on youtube last night so I could listen again but with headphones and really check out Nathan's work

Holy.
    Crap.

Dude just tears it up! Stunning bass playing.
  20. therhodeo

therhodeo

Who was the other guy playing keys?