Nathan East Rig?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by nirvanafan13, Aug 19, 2002.

1. nirvanafan13

nirvanafan13

I was just listening to some "Fourplay" and i am blown away by Nathan East's beautiful tone! What does he play through? The lows bump, the highs are amazingly glassy and clear.....WOW!

THanks for any input!
    -Evan

2. Makatak

Makatak

Check out track 5 on " Between the sheets " , THATS nice tone !

3. nirvanafan13

nirvanafan13

but what kinda gear does he use????!

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

He has his own Yamaha signature 5-string and I guess he still uses this Eden equipment:

Eden WT-800
    2x Eden David 410 XLT

http://archive.bassplayer.com/artists/east.shtml

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. grooveguru

grooveguru

Live
    Yamaha signature bass

signature preamp ?

Eden WT800

2 Eden D-410XLT cabs

Don't know about studio!

7. nirvanafan13

nirvanafan13

THANKS SO MUCH GUYS!
    Appreciate it VERY VERY MUCH!

8. cassanova

cassanova

Nathan East has been playing Yamaha basses since 1980. He notes, "I saw Abe Laboriel playing one at a concert, and he sounded great. A short time later, on a trip to Japan, I was able to hook up with the Yamaha people." Inspired by Anthony Jackson and Jimmy Johnson, he quickly moved to a 5-string, adding yet another string soon after. By 1994, Yamaha had developed a signature bass for East; his new main axe is a 36"-scale BB-series Nathan East Signature 5-string. "The extra scale length really upgrades the sound and feel of the B string," he reports, "and I've encountered no problems adjusting my left-hand reach." Nathan's first-call 6 is a Yamaha TRB6. Other basses in his regular rotation include a Yamaha BB East fretless 5-string; a Yamaha 5-string acoustic bass guitar; fretted and fretless Fodera 5's; a '72 Precision with a J-Bass neck; an early '70s Jazz Bass; and a Clevinger 5-string electric upright. His strings are D'Addario Prism stainless steel roundwounds; for his Clevinger, he chooses Thomastik Spirocore chrome steel flatwounds.

East recently joined forces with Eden for amplification; his basic setup includes a WT-800 head and two stacked D-410XLT 4x10 cabinets. Nathan occasionally steps on a Boss OC-2 Octave, a Boss CE-2 Chorus, and--on Phil Collins's tour--Moog Taurus Bass Pedals. An A/B box with a volume attenuator allows him to have separate levels for his Yamaha and Clevinger basses. East also uses Monster cables, a Yamaha wireless system, and--when he needs a pick sound--his fingernails. [Ed. Note: Nathan's home studio was profiled in May '96.]

Not to sound rude or mean, but you could go out and buy all that exact gear and still arent going to sound like Nathan. The tone starts in the hands and you're not him.

9. nirvanafan13

nirvanafan13

No offence taken at all! I know that i will never sound "exactly like" ANYONE but myself.... and i am very content in that because i love my tone and my style.... However, i am a total gear geek and am always very interested in different sounds and tones.... And i love the smooth jazzin', deep, full sound that he has....In no way has his sound inspired me to go buy everything he plays through, but more to mooch off his style of playing, which, in my opinion is kinda like the style of Marcus Miller and even more, Norm Stockton.....

However, my reason for this post was to get an idea of what i may want to get in the distant future, when i may consider upgrading my rig. Another reason is because i like to know a lot about musical equipment....How it sounds, how it works....etc.... Thanks for posting!

-Evan

10. jondog

jondog

Has anybody tried the Nathan East parametric eq that Yamaha put out? MF has 'em for $50.

11. Hans van Bree

Hans van Bree

12. millsbass5

millsbass5

That is the EXACT SAME RIG that I play thru,minus the effects he has.I've had this same rig since early '97.I've never had so much as one little glitch out of it.It's been played thru it least 2 shows a week (minimum),since I purchased it.When I purchased it,I went ahead and sprung for road cases for the cabs & head.Great stuff,it is.

As for his Signature Yamaha's,I had NO IDEA that his basses were 36" scale!Wow.I'm a real fanatic about a tight B-string.I'd love to try one.

13. Carlo Tanori

Carlo Tanori

Nathan has been using Aguilar amps for the past few years. I've played one of those white signature 5-strings at the NAMM Show last year and it plays great. It's not a TRB model bass.

That Parametric EQ pedal is so so. I ended up returning to MF.

Check out these 2 DVDs he's on:
    Eric Clapton: One more car, one more rider
    and
    Fourplay: Live in Capetown

Carlo

14. millsbass5

millsbass5

Whoa,now!I just jumped on the Yamaha site!The site says his basses are "34 scale,not "36.I guess the interview above is from a reputable source.Wonder what's up with that???Anyone play these basses??Anyone know the real,actual specs on it??Thanks.

15. Dr_Funkdamental

Dr_Funkdamental

Exactly. Hes joined the likes of Patitucci as a Aguilar endorser. Peep the vid. Drummer is hot too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOwsOUtWH_M

16. SteveC

SteveC

I love Aguilar. It's the best model on a Pod. I almost want to buy a Pod just to have the "Aguilar" model.

Nathan is a great player. I'd love to have his gigs - Fourplay, Clapton, studio, etc. Fun times.

17. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

I saw him w/Clapton using the Eden rig, and later with the Aguilar rig. Nothing really different. And his recorded sounds going back to the Trace/Elliot rig didn't sound any different than either the Eden nor Ag rigs. Gary Willis also doesn't sound different to me when he switched from Eden to Aguilar either.

Pretty much East's sound is (in order of importance) his brain and ears, his fingers, his custom-made EQ, the Avalon DI that's been in his live rig for a L O N G time, his basses, and his strings.

jte

18. ~ignited~wings~

~ignited~wings~

19. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    I believe the 'production' models are 34". His personal instruments are custom spec'd I'd imagine!

20. SteveC

SteveC

The Avalon U5 strikes again. Every time I think it's a waste of money and weight to carry one around and use with my little 1x10 combo and PA I read a post like this.

I'm not Nathan East, but I all those U5's on tour can't be wrong.

21. millsbass5

millsbass5

That just doesn't seem right.Having a"signature"Model Bass that's TOTALLY different from the production models.I understand some cats do a little tweaking to their signature line basses.But...To change the whole damn scale by a full 2 inches??That makes it a COMPLETELY different instrument!!C'mon,that should be offered to us folk right off the rack,too!!