National Musical Instrument Chain

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Blairb, Dec 19, 2013.

1. Blairb

Blairb

Yesterday I stopped at a music store that is a national chain to look at and possibly purchasing a new 5 string.

While checking out some Ernie Ball and Ibanez basses a salesman approached me. He was indeed nice and wanted to help. However when he asked me what amp I use, I guess in an effort to find something comparable to test drive some basses, that's were he lost me.

I told him I use a GK MB800. His response was: " Never heard of it. " So I clarified: " What, the MB800?" He replied:" I've never heard of GK. Do they make bass amps?"

I just figured maybe he usually works in another department. He continues: " What kind of bass are you looking for?" I told him that I was interested in a 5string. He told me he thought "fretless" basses sounded "cool" and wanted to know if I wanted to try out a Markbass combo.

C'mon man.
  2. BassCliff

BassCliff

Hi,

I am by no means an expert or a monster player but sometimes I just have to bite my tongue at these folks who weren't even born when I started playing gigs. I know they are trying to be helpful and, as they gain experience, someday they will be even better at it. I hope I don't come off as a "know-it-all" to the sales clerks. I am polite, concise and clear as to what I'm looking for and try to show a lot of grace.

I've had several dealings with kids (Oh come on! As old as I am, EVERYONE under 30 looks like a kid.) in Guitar Center lately and they have all been very helpful after I tell them exactly what I need. So I'm happy. ;)

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
  3. elgecko

elgecko

Did you say GK or Gallien Krueger?
  4. Ironbar

Ironbar Banned

Ah. So it was Guitar Center.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. electracoyote

electracoyote

Finally! A thread about incompetent sales clerks at Guitar Center. It's been, like, a whole two days since the last one. :rollno:
  7. Blairb

Blairb

I guess Markbass is the tell about GC. 😜
  8. Blairb

Blairb

I kind of summarized my conversation with him. I clarified my "GK" with saying Gallien Krueger and I did explain that all they made was bass amplification.
  9. Blairb

Blairb

I've never really had a problem before and didn't really have a problem this time either. Just thought it was kind of funny a guy working the bass section didn't know what GK was.
  10. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Supporting Member

So, isn't that what a dead horse is for? :p

When you have so many good examples of stupidity, it is hard not to share them.

Dan K.