1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

natural relic poly basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rugaar, Jun 1, 2009.

1. Rugaar

Rugaar

In the numerous relic threads there are always folks that say poly basses will never show any wear and there are always folks that say just play the heck out of 'em and they'll get naturally worn. I don't really have an opinion, positive or negative, on the whole relic process and none of my poly basses are showing much wear yet but I'd like to see some examples of your natural worn poly basses. Along with pictures it'd be interesting to know how long you've had the bass and how much you've played it get the wear.

Looking forward to some of the replies!
  2. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

My '71 P-bass. The photo doesn't show the substantial buckle rash or the upper contour wear, but it gives you the idea. This bass has had at least 3 owners. I played it very hard from 1998 to 2006 in a 10 piece horn band and several busy blues bands. We gigged in all the sweaty bars in N. California. Poly is holding up pretty well, IMHO.

[​IMG]
  3. Rugaar

Rugaar

Nice. Is that just a funky reflection on the headstock?
  4. Jim Carr

Yes, late afternoon Kentucky sunshine through wide plantation window blinds.
  5. LCW

LCW

I am glad you posted this thread i was thinking of this. I plan on wearing out my MIM it may take awhile but i got time.
  6. DogBone

DogBone

Cool thread. :::subscribed::: :cool:

I have a midnight blue '98 MIM Precision I bought used in 2004.

No sense in posting any pictures of it though, since other than a few light scratches on the back it still looks brand new.

That suits me fine b/c I'm sorta neutral on the relic thing (when it happens it happens), but I'm still curious to see what other folks have going on. :)
  7. Jim Carr

This may open some eyes about poly:

8. superfunk47

superfunk47

Were 80's Spectors finished in poly or nitro? These sure don't look like typical nitro wear to me, but there certainly is wear.

These are Doug Wimbish's Spectors from back in the day, BTW. I think they look quite sexy :cool:

Attached Files:

9. ThaLowEndTheory

ThaLowEndTheory

Modern poly is very very tough. It won't even come close to wearing like nitro does. I have seen example of some wear on poly sometimes even checking, but these are few and far between. They are usually older basses from the 70's or whenever Fender went to poly. For the guys that are hoping to just play a poly bass alot and get the worn look. You may put some scrapes or small dings in the finish, but I just can't see much more than that happening.
  10. LCW

LCW

that bass is so tight!
  11. troyus

troyus

Dont have pictures but my first bass I bought as a kid has some significant wear marks through the poly down to the... plywood. :)
  12. Delta_Petra

Delta_Petra

That may be just the trick to the poly. I ended up sanding it all off my Squier P-bass. Looks good now with a natural finish, but could have saved me some time with a heat gun. Live and learn.
  13. LCW

LCW

I may get a music master for like 200$ that is missing like 10% of the poly worn and chipped off and i think its modded with a humbucker i'll post pics if i buy it
  14. Rugaar

Rugaar

This was always my guess but people keep saying they've played a lot and worn through their finish so I'd like to see some examples.

Plus, it's always fun to look at well-loved basses.
  15. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Artist: Xotic Basses/AccuGroove
    My old Jazz:
    [​IMG]

Had this thing FOREVER. At least 20 years.
    It's been all over the world with me.

From a photo shoot for Fender (never used the shot):
    [​IMG]
  16. angletone

angletone

This is the effect that nearly 30 years of gigging has had on my 1979 Jazz Bass, (which I assume is poly finished... all original except for pickguard and knobs, and minus a few screws).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

When I bought it nearly new in '82 it had a few small nicks around the edge. No-one was into 'relicing' back then... on the contrary, I was mortified every time I got a new ding on it and remember early attempts at halting the non-deliberate relicing process by touching up each chip with a dab of black nail varnish, (graciously supplied by a succession of punk and goth girlfriends).

Most of the wear has come from playing small stages in pubs and clubs, and the occasional theatre pit job, where I'd be standing or sitting only inches from various drum and cymbal paraphenalia, (probably the main culprit in the bass's premature aging), music stands, etc. It's fallen over a few times too (the asymetrical shape doesn't help here). But over the years I assume sweat worked its way under the finish, the holes got bigger, and some of the surrounding finish became loose and brittle. I could quite easily strip off another few square inches of finish right now just by using my finger nails. I daresy if I post another picture in say two years from now it will look noticeably different. I should add that she sounds and plays fantastic, and is probably the one bass I'll never sell.

Generally speaking, I'm not a great fan of relicing, at least not the deliberate application of dings and scratches. However, I do like the patina that old instruments aquire, even when carefully looked after, (and I'm particularly thinking of double basses here).
  17. bh2

bh2

Loverly Jazz Tony... super!

Not sure if mine's nitro or poly... or if it's a relic... it's a '61 and I've had it since '79. It's going to be the subject of a restore once I get funding!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  18. bassteban

bassteban

I may start a thread on this, but it might be pertinent to this one: I'm working on snagging a Geddy, and am developing a sick plan to refinish it. No biggie of course, but I want it to end up looking like a genuine 70s Jazz that some fool resprayed on a whim, w/the original, non-stripped black peeking out from under a smooth-but-poorly-adhered-&-chipping badly coat of sage green. I emailed Reranch, but I'm wondering if anyone here has ever sprayed nitro over poly..?
    In my *defense* the Geddy I'm eyeing is pretty scuffed up already; I've deliberately not tried to get a very clean one. :rolleyes:
  19. Dark Horse

Dark Horse

Nitro over poly -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Scuff the poly with steel wool or scotchbrite and spray a thin primer layer. I use white primer as it's closer to original Fender color and it also shows top coat color. Then spray nitro as you would normally.

;)
  20. bassteban

bassteban

Beautiful, Mr. Horse. I am THERE. :cool:
    One issue though- Reranch doesn't do a sage green or mocha/root beer/baby poop brown; I wonder if anyone else does nitro in aerosol cans..? :ninja: