NB/AD! Vintage Musicmaster Bass and Amp combo!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bibby, Mar 29, 2014.

1. Bibby

Bibby Supporting Member

Well, I have have had the bass for a few months - a stunning little guitar that I traded for here on these forums. However, I was in GC last week and stumbled upon a minty Musicmaster bass amp from the 70's and had to have it to go with the bass. After a little price haggling she was mine.

Not the same year (the amp is a few years newer), but they sure look nice hanging out together, no?

Attached Files:

2. HosMan

HosMan Los! Zum dritten Mal denn! Supporting Member

That`s certainly a pair to draw to,Bibby!! Must admit I think your MM is much prettier looking than mine.Is that what they called "Daphne Blue"? Very cool!

You know that getting the vintage Musicmaster amp is totally rubbing my nose in it,right? :crying:

Just got my `71 back yesterday,btw.Set-up/fretboard de-scumming(shudderz)and new D`Addario XL Chromes flats installed.

Congrats on the killer gear,Mr.!

HosMan
  3. Bibby

Bibby Supporting Member

Thanks!

Yes, I think this is/ was Daphne Blue, but it has faded to a hybrid green over the years. I think it is a rather early Musicmaster- the neck plate dates to 1969 and the pots to 1966. But the official model didn't come out until '70, so who really knows?! It is all original and a great little player, so I am content. On top of all that it has a beautiful flame maple neck that is silky smooth to play. I will post pics if interested.
    I currently have d'ad XL's on her, but I am a flats guy at heart so that will probably change,,,,,

Actually, I didn't know the companion bass amp existed until I stumbled upon it at GC. I went home and did a little research and realized that it isn't the best bass amp in the world, but guitar players drool over these. It is basically a hand wired p2p 12 watt tube amp selling for a fraction of what the modern "boutique" low watt equivilant amps sell for. I dabble a little on the guitar on the side, so to pick his up as a match to my MM bass and to replace my Blues Jr. guitar amp was a no brainer! I love muti purpose gear!

The MM bass sounds decent, and my strat wails. Win- win, Thanks again!
  4. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

I had one of those amps.. in fact that was my first bass amp.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. dmac1961

dmac1961

That's a nice pair! Isn't it a little redundant having volume and tone on both bass and amp?:p
  7. Bibby

Bibby Supporting Member

Good point. But with 4 total knobs between bass and amp even a knucklehead like myself can't screw it up too much! ;)
  8. HosMan

HosMan Los! Zum dritten Mal denn! Supporting Member

Please do! :p

My MM`s serial # is also overlapping between 1969-1970,but I completely forgot to have my guitar/bass tech check & photograph the neck heel[?] OEM s# stamp. :crying:

One of these days I`ll get curious and double check the pots for s#...down the road.

What product(s) are you going to use on her for conservation and general cleaning,Bibby?Unsure how(or what)to use for cleaning(not polishing)vtg basses.Nitrocellulose-based finish is cool,but Hos = :help: i.e. knowledge.

Post some soundclips,pretty please with nitrocellulose on it?
    HosMan
  9. nashman

nashman

You're going to need a tie-dye t-shirt to go with that set-up
  10. Wookieonbass

Wookieonbass

The first bass I ever owned was a Musicmaster. Sweet little basses. Enjoy!
  11. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Two great vintage pieces congrats they both are in fantastic condition.
  12. Bibby

Bibby Supporting Member

Thanks for the kind words everyone!

Here are a few pics of the neck. It has aged beatifully, the light flaming is just so pretty, and it is silky smooth....

As far as cleaning, I don't really. I want to keep the history intact. If there is some stickiness on the surface that isn't part of the finish I will use a damp cloth and mild soap to wipe it off, but I don't purposely polish the guitar. Becasue it has a rosewood fretboard I did put some conditioner on it when I changed the strings. It is some "Gibson Fretboard Conditioner" that I have had for 15 + years. I am sure there are better options out there, but I haven't done much research. I will end up changing the strings a few times until I decide what I like, but then I am unlikely to change them again. I love old strings, whether rounds or flats, so whatever treatment I have done to the fretboard is it.

I don't know that these early Musicmaster's are nitro - there is definitely some poly involved in one way or another from the mid 60's on. Definitely not the plasticy polyurethane associated with 70's guitars though...

I don't have a good set up for recording, but I will post a video of the MM / amp that will catch the general tone of the rig. Once I get the chance - so check back for that. In the meantime enjoy your MM and post some pics if you can. I don't know if there is a MM club, but maybe we should start one!

Attached Files: