1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

NBD: 1961 Fender Bass VI

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Curtis Novak, Jan 28, 2014.

1. Curtis Novak

Curtis Novak

Disclosures:
    Pickup Artist at Curtis Novak Classic Pickups
    I have not been this excited in some time over a vintage score...

I was really sweating bullets worried it would not get through US customs coming in from South Africa, but it safely arrived today in 1 piece with its Brazilian rosewood fret board. This is one of the first BassVI made to take to the 1961 NAMM show. It has the 10/61 neck date, and a clipped logo because they did not have the actual Bass VI logo ready. It will need a refin but other than that it is all in tact. Watch for the pickups soon. Actually I have been making the pickups for a couple years I just needed this to get the chrome ring and the cover made to vintage spec.
    curtis

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.780440135317741.1073741839.273555919339501&type=3

[​IMG]
  2. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

I respectfully interject that this is beautiful, and by no means is requiring of a refin.
    Congrats, though, on this bass. Quite a piece of history.
  3. ModuMan

ModuMan How many is too many? Supporting Member

That's amazing! I was just going to say I don't think I'd ever seen one in Natural but I guess that's what the refin is about? What color was it originally?

Awesome piece right there, congratulations!
  4. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks Supporting Member

5. Steve K

Steve K

Beautiful! Keep it naked
  6. Curtis Novak

Curtis Novak

Disclosures:
    Pickup Artist at Curtis Novak Classic Pickups
    I would NEVER refin a vintage finish... it was a sunburst that was stripped.
    curtis
  7. Mitchinboxer

Mitchinboxer

The natural finish looks ridiculously awesome! I would maybe put some gloss over it as protection, but that just looks so unique.
  8. jbalou02

jbalou02 Supporting Member

/drool
    /pout

Its ok I guess. I think you should paint it black and put some skulls on it.