1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

NBD: 1980 Westbury Track IV Matsumoku double-P

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gastric, Oct 3, 2013.

1. gastric

gastric Professional product tester for hire Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Source Audio BETA tester
    I've been patiently waiting for a quality example of one of these to present itself at a seemingly reasonable price. This awesome axe was delivered yesterday.

AFAIK all original, including the case, with the exception of pickup foam which I replaced last night. Looks and functions great after 90 minutes of elbow grease, still needs a better setup.

1380808245760.jpg

1380808256835.jpg
  2. Immigrant

Immigrant Supporting Member

Congratulations on your acquisition of freaky goodness! I've never seen one of those. Awesome!
  3. gastric

Disclosures:
    Source Audio BETA tester
    Yeah, I've always thought they were unique looking. The looks are what caught my eye.

Set neck vintage Japan Matsumoku made double-P. Feels like a somewhat J width neck with a chunky C style radius. Those weird-O vintage style 3 point bridges.
  4. jbd5015

jbd5015 Cool cars & Bass guitars Supporting Member

I had a track II for a few months. GREAT tone out of that bass. the track II has the single P closer to the bridge, which looks like a gibson style bridge.

the neck on the one i had was a chunky C as well. for some reason i could not play that bass. i really wanted to because the build quality, tone, and style were all GREAT for the price. my fretting hand cramped within 3 songs usually, and the small body made for a strange offset when playing standing up. Seemed like i was playing a 36" scale bass, but wasnt...

SICK BASS tho. The one i had was equipped with the cream covered DiMarzio P's.
  5. gastric

Disclosures:
    Source Audio BETA tester
    I can do chunky, I just can't get comfortable on WIDE necks. I have this MusicMan SUB 2-band active bass I keep trying to get comfy on, it's just too wide feeling after playing J-width necks for so long.
  6. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Probably the best known Westbury player (warning - language). Although he played the single pickup model.

I read up on these a while back. Apparently the bridges were faulty, and a great many of them broke.
  7. awilkie84

awilkie84

Those bridges are garbage! You can't even fit a Gibson 3 point on there. :(
  8. RSBBass

RSBBass

The bridges can be a problem. On Vantage basses with that bridge (some Vantages are also Matsumoku products) the Epiphone three point works but some people have found they have to use the original saddles.
  9. gastric

Disclosures:
    Source Audio BETA tester
    The bridge on there now is flawless, no issues. I'm assuming it's stock due to the dirt that came collected in the nooks and crannies. :p And it's 33 years old.

I can see where if the bridge itself wasn't well manufactured misusing the 3 point adjuster screws could put a lot of stress on the opposing hooks that contact the posts. My biggest gripe is the bridge falls off if you remove all of the strings. :) And then the saddles all fall out, too. Heh. In fact, I need to probably take my saddles out and study them to make sure I put them back in the correct positions. I'm going to guess some are taller than others to follow the fretboard radius. And that I didn't put them back in the correct order. Again, my first time with this type of bridge.

Either way it's certainly an interesting bridge design. I'm assuming the only reason it's even on there is due to the crazy carved top. No way you could even install a standard flat slab style bridge on a body like this.

I'll get a couple additional photos of the body relief and the bridge in case it helps anyone out in the future.
  10. gastric

Disclosures:
    Source Audio BETA tester
    Some bridge pics.

Some helpful data:

* Note the G string saddle is shorter than the other three, and helps you from having to really lower that side of the bridge adjustment screws.
    * Need to make sure the front of the saddle screws sit properly in their groove otherwise the tip end of the screw will pass through the back of the bridge and move around. The head sits just outside of the bridge itself.
    * Orient your string balls diagonally to properly hook into the bridge as seen on the E, A, and G string. Don't orient them as seen with the D string in this photo.
    * It's much easier to adjust the bridge with the strings loosened, otherwise they put a ton of pressure on the bridge making it challenging to adjust the leveling screws.
    * Raise the front screw to adjust overall string tension.

Attached Files:

11. clive shakedown

clive shakedown Supporting Member

Hi guys, thought you might like to see my recent ebay find,
    less than 100 GBP and now undergoing full restoration.

I have just got a bridge bar from some guy in the states, the string fabric is now behind the saddle.

it's called a 3 point mod bar.

link is here http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=301039020157

fantastic basses. Have some pics!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  12. Bassmingo

Bassmingo

Hi guys,

Just wanted to add to this thread. I've had a track 2 for close to 10 years, although it was unused for most of that time because of the aforementioned bridge problems. In fact, i posted about it here back in 2008:

Link

Well, life got in the way and fixing this bass up fell by the wayside, until just this christmas my girlfriend got me a hipshot supertone bridge for it. now i cant really remember what this bass sounded like before, but it really sounds nice now!

I just need to fix a few more things on it and it'll be a really nice bass.