1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

NBD: 1981 G&L L-1000

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Johnny Alien, Feb 11, 2010.

1. Johnny Alien

Johnny Alien

Just got this today. It was a day late due to the extreme snowy weather here in the northeast.

My first L-1000 and after a quick practice session with it I am VERY impressed. It is a shame these never went anywhere and got discontinued. (Except for the current limited edition version)

Tobacco Burst hog body with an ebony fretboard. Great condition! Got it from a fellow TB member which is always my favorite way to acquire a new bass.

These DR Black Beauty strings have got to go through. :)

Sorry for the phone camera shots I will get some better when the sun comes out more.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. Aspidites

Aspidites

Damn that is sweet! Congrats on the new old bass.:cool:
  3. Johnny Alien

Johnny Alien

I've been wanting one for awhile and it seems like the hog/ebony ones seem to rarely pop up.

I always regret not getting on the G&L wagon back when you could get L1K's for under $500 all day and night.
  4. Aspidites

Aspidites

I paid $350 for mine just a few months ago.:bag:
  5. Johnny Alien

Johnny Alien

$350?? Really? Great deal!

Post some photos!
  6. PSPookie

PSPookie

I'm glad you're digging it. The L-1000 is everything that a P bass should be, IMO.

Incidentally, those are LaBella tapewounds, not black beauties. I love 'em but they're not for everyone.
  7. Aspidites

Aspidites

Really!:) I apologize for hijacking your thread.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  8. Johnny Alien

Johnny Alien

Well..I still have the love for the Precision but this is definitely a great bass for a Precision lover to have in their arsenal.

I am going to swap the strings out. LaBellas are expensive so shoot me a PM if you want me to send them back to you. Perhaps you have another bass that could use them? They seem really new.
  9. Johnny Alien

Johnny Alien

Totally OK! So that is a post 1985 model? I am not real familiar with when the changes happened. $350 is a steal.
  10. Chef

Chef Moderator Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Johnny: congrats; that's a great bass.
    I should know, it used to be mine two owners ago.

Dibs if you sell;)

Strings: DA XL170 bright nickels. Trust me on this.
  11. Aspidites

Aspidites

From my understanding it is an 86, from what I have gathered so far most of the changes happened in 85.
  12. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree Supporting Member

Congrats! The L1000 is a fabulous bass. Play it hard.
  13. leegreenman

leegreenman

This was my main bass for a while. Unfortunately, mine was stolen several yrs back. I've gone through tons of instruments since then, but haven't ever found one i've loved as much. Enjoy!
  14. PSPookie

PSPookie

Don't get me wrong. I love a good P, but the L-1000 just suits me better.

Actually, I ordered them through Carvin and they very reasonably priced. New? Nah, I put those on in May. They just hold up really well.

This is another great choice. These were tied with TI flats for my second favorite string for this bass.
  15. lmfreeman9

lmfreeman9 Supporting Member

I have 2 mahogany and maple L-1000s. The ultimate evolution of Leo's P-Bass. Will try to post photos.
  16. Johnny Alien

Johnny Alien

Some updated photos:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  17. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Man, that bass is SWEET!!!!!!!!!!! I'd be proud to hang that on my wall too!
  18. Johnny Alien

Johnny Alien

I was unsure what to expect but it is a really really nice bass. These are a great variation for Precision lovers.

I heard they have thin necks from front to back so I thought it might be like my Fullerton reissue but actually it is a little thicker than that. It feels really close to a late 60's Precision with a neck width of just shy of a Fender C.

And it actually weighs in right around (or maybe even slightly under) 9lbs which is a light weight for an early L-1000.

I am surprised these are not more popular.
  19. Chef

Chef Moderator Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    L1000's are cool, and not really too much like a Precision, really.

Your 1981 on the right, my 1980 on the left:
    [​IMG]

Another shot of my 1980:
    [​IMG]

My other 1981:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  20. Johnny Alien

Johnny Alien

The burst on your 80 looks darker. Are they the same finish with a fluctuation or different bursts altogether?