NBD: 1983 Fender JV Precision

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kmon, Nov 7, 2012.

1. kmon

kmon Supporting Member

I crossed paths with this exceedingly rare and beautiful Fender Japanese Vintage P yesterday. The GAS just took over...

Serial is JV73***. Penciled date on the neck is 7-26-83. This is the PB 57-70 model with the Japanese pickups. Previous owner replaced the PG(love the red tort) and added a Babicz full contact bridge, but included the original bridge. This is a 57 Reissue. Check out the headstock logo and that maple fretboard!! I absolutely love the aesthetics.

Seller had it listed at 7.8 pounds and I think that's exactly right. Incredibly light.

Tone is gorgeous, thumpy, vintage precision. Condition is amazing for a 30 year old bass, and the setup is perfect. I've rarely played a bass with such comfortably low action.

I'm thrilled. Even giddy. :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. IPA

IPA

Looks great, nice find!
  3. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Wow! Great find!
  4. klejst

klejst

Very nice!
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. wraub

wraub

Disclosures:
    I'll have an IPA, please.
    As the proud owner of 2 MIJ SQ series basses, I'd have to say that what you have there is a very sweet looking bass that you could probably have for the rest of your life and enjoy the hell out of.

However, if you someday decide it's not for you, please let me know. ;)

Seriously, congrats!

wraub
  7. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

OHHH.... Me likey...me want!
  8. bassbully

Hey I have 3 SQ MIJ Series...cool. To me the best P basses I ever played.
  9. kmon

kmon Supporting Member

thanks guys, did I mention 7.8 pounds? Amazing:)
  10. bassbully

Both the JV's and SQ's are light and sound great.
  11. jmpiwonka

jmpiwonka Supporting Member

i saw that listed yesterday, told my bandmate to email about it then saw the listing got pulled.
    hell of a deal man @ $300

you got the original bridge and tuner with the bass too didn't you?
  12. kmon

kmon Supporting Member

yep!! My eyes about popped out when i saw it. I made the trek out to Killeen from Austin. These go for well over twice that, and that's without the bridge upgrade. In crazy good shape too.

I NEVER get these deals...must have had some good karma coming my way:). Yeah, got the original bridge and the tuner that was replaced with the matching hipshot.
  13. jmpiwonka

jmpiwonka Supporting Member

yeah i thought about buying it just to see what it's about and keeping it if it were amazing or giving someone else a good deal if i didn't like it

but i didn't feel like driving out to killeen and i already have 2 good precisions and i prefer the B nut width my basses have...my bandmate needs a decent bass so i told him about it hopin he could make it happen.
  14. kmon

kmon Supporting Member

my thoughts exactly...Killeen's a 3 hour round trip and i didn't exactly need this one, but this was too good a deal.

I like P's but I always end up using my old jazz and i'm a one bass guy. Really digging this one but I'm gonna see if anybody wants to trade a jazz for it, or eventually I'll sell and make some cash on it(gear flipping is my sole source of money for my little gear habit:))
  15. IPA

IPA

Just saw your CL ad... too bad you don't play guitar too or else I'd have something to trade!